What's new

Your knowledge and assistance is needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

S

sspeace

Hi,
My name is Sam. I am looking for a wireless solution. I have two routers now, one a G- router (Linksys with SRS) which makes it to my most remote PC but is very slow. And I have a N router (Linksys WRT-300N), which was great, except is goes dead about 20ft away from this location.

My solution would be to get two great wireless N routers (exspecially concerning distance performance), one the primary and the other attached to my remote PC as an access point (I believe that is what it would be called). My thinking is that the radios in the routers are better then in the PC cards.

Anyway, some recomendation would be greatfull. Would like them to be the same router, but I understand some routers can not be configures as an access point (or gateway or what ever the correct term is).

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Hi Sam,

Can you describe the physical location a bit? Distances, wall construction, etc.

What are you using for client cards / devices?

Sure, and thanks in advance for repling.

My remote PC is about 150-180 ft away. The router is in the house, the walls are standard (however the outside is stucco), but there are quite a few windows on the walls from the house, to the location where the remote PC is. And it goes through one standard sheetrock wall between the location and the outside wall of the house.

The remote PC is in a room with Wood on both sides of the wall.

I had a portable and brought it out and it worked fine on the N router about 20ft away from the location I have the PC (a little slow but a medium signal stregth on the old Vista bars), however when I brought it inside it was not so good (signal dropped occationally). So seeing that I had Linksys stuff, I desided it would be best to continue, so the PC has a Linksys card (WMP300N). Hanging the little antena outside the window does help, but very very little. (The n signal still disconnected when streaming anything, the G is just slow, and on large transfers disconnects (400MB+).

I have converted everything to G now, becuase it is the only method to get a signal. It still has ocational problems. Knowing that the Linksys WRT300N almost makes it, was thinking that If I get a router that is good at distance, and then get two to utilize the radios in both, I would have a decent connection.

Thanks for the info.

Draft 11n does not improve distance performance, and can make it worse, especially if you try to use the 40 MHz channel mode.

Generally, draft 11n can give you higher speed than 11g at the same location, if that location has decent signal strength.

You can certainly convert one of the two routers to an AP, connect them via Ethernet and get one of them as close as you can to the side of the house where your outbuilding is.
How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point
How To Add an Access Point to a Wireless Router

Just make sure that you put the WRT300N in 11g mode so that it works best with your 11g cards.

Great idea, I do have a location in the house a little closer with an wire between them. Router inside has to stay, becuase that is the entry point for service.

But the two old routers will be gifts to the kids. They are both getting into a house (good timing for them). So, if you were to start today, what two N routers or dual band routers would be the best concerning distance more then performance - from your testing. And I guess a new card if you know of a good one with a good or better radio/antenna then the Linksys I have.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!