What's new

Solved ZenWifi AX6600 - 5 GHz Connectivity Issues After Storm and Firmware Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cartwright

New Around Here
I'm experiencing connectivity issues with my ZenWifi AX6600 system, primarily affecting the 5 GHz band. The problems started after a recent storm and coincided with a firmware update.

Setup:
- ASUS ZenWifi AX6600 (2 units)
- Spectrum internet with Spectrum modem
- Main unit hardwired to modem, second unit meshed

Issue:
- Intermittent connectivity on 5 GHz devices
- 2.4 GHz devices working fine
- "No internet, secured" message on some 5 GHz connections

Steps taken:
1. Multiple device resets
2. Winsock and TCP/IP stack resets
3. Network adapter checks and driver updates
4. Firmware rollback
5. Disabled antivirus and firewall
6. Multiple power cycles

Additional notes:
- Issue persists across various devices (laptops, phones, tablets, smart TVs, though the biggest culprit is an older HP Envy x360 laptop that works fine with the 2.4 and will connect to the 5 but no internet throughput)
- 2.4 GHz extender works without problems
- Spectrum confirmed multiple outages but doesn't believe it's their issue

I'm at a loss for next steps. Any advice on troubleshooting or resolving this 5 GHz connectivity problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm experiencing connectivity issues with my ZenWifi AX6600 system, primarily affecting the 5 GHz band. The problems started after a recent storm and coincided with a firmware update.

Setup:
- ASUS ZenWifi AX6600 (2 units)
- Spectrum internet with Spectrum modem
- Main unit hardwired to modem, second unit meshed

Issue:
- Intermittent connectivity on 5 GHz devices
- 2.4 GHz devices working fine
- "No internet, secured" message on some 5 GHz connections

Steps taken:
1. Multiple device resets
2. Winsock and TCP/IP stack resets
3. Network adapter checks and driver updates
4. Firmware rollback
5. Disabled antivirus and firewall
6. Multiple power cycles

Additional notes:
- Issue persists across various devices (laptops, phones, tablets, smart TVs, though the biggest culprit is an older HP Envy x360 laptop that works fine with the 2.4 and will connect to the 5 but no internet throughput)
- 2.4 GHz extender works without problems
- Spectrum confirmed multiple outages but doesn't believe it's their issue

I'm at a loss for next steps. Any advice on troubleshooting or resolving this 5 GHz connectivity problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Did you review the firmware release notes to see if anything applies to your situation? Perhaps a Hard Reset and manual configuration is a next step.

OE

Did you review the firmware release notes to see if anything applies to your situation? Perhaps a Hard Reset and manual configuration is a next step.

OE
I reviewed the release notes and saw nothing worthwhile. Other things I've tried:

1. Firmware Rollback: I tried downgrading and testing three different firmware versions on the ASUS ZenWifi AX6600, but the issue persisted.

2. New Router System: I replaced the ASUS units with a TP-Link Deco XE75. Initially, this seemed to fix the problem, but issues reappeared the next morning.

3. Ongoing Issues:
- Laptops failing to connect to the main (blended 5/2.4) network
- Able to connect to a dedicated 2.4 GHz extender network
- TV stopped connecting
- AirPlay stopped working
- Multiple devices affected: two TVs, two iPhones, Peloton, three different laptops (one HP Envy, a Lenovo, and a MacBook).

4. ISP Involvement: Spectrum replaced the modem, but this didn't resolve the issue.

5. 2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz: IoT devices and others on the 2.4 GHz network seem okay, while 5 GHz connections struggle.

6. Neighbor Check: I've talked to neighbors, and no one else is experiencing similar issues.

Current Status:
Given that the problem persists across multiple devices and after replacing all home networking equipment, I'm now suspecting it might be a Spectrum (ISP) issue. I'm planning to request a line quality check from them.

Questions:
1. Does this situation suggest a problem on Spectrum's end, given that replacing all my equipment didn't help?
2. What could cause 2.4 GHz devices to work fine while 5 GHz devices struggle?
3. Is it possible the 2.4 GHz network is also impacted, but we're just not noticing due to lower bandwidth usage?

Any other ideas or suggestions? I'm at a loss. Spectrum is convinced the issue is on my end.

Update: issue is resolved. I had a wifi extender used to project a 2.4 network for my 3d printer. Post-storm, that extender was pulling all the bandwidth and choking out everything else. I removed the extender, and the problem has since been resolved.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!