What's new

Zte mf286d will not connect to 4g+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

westerbajs

New Around Here
I just realized my 4g router provides way less network speed then my phone. Tried both sim cards (phone&mobile broadband) in my phone, ~80mbit/s. Both sim cards in my router, ~37mbit/s. I now believe that the issue is that ly phone connects with the 4g+ (or lte-advanced) protocoll but the router only uses the regular 4g. This conclusion i base on the fact of the lower speeds and also that my phone shows a 4g+ connectivity icon whereas the router only says 4g (see pic for reference on a router that actually gets 4g+). IMG_20240714_183411.jpg

The router is supposed to have a cat12 4g chip. I get similar signal strength on my phone and my router (-70dBm). Both use the same band B20 800mhz. My firmware version is Nordic_MF286D_B12.

So my question is simply - why doesn't my router connect to 4g+ and what can I do to fix this? I am considering external antennas but since the signal isn't weaker than the phones I am not sure that would solve the problem.

4G/LTE is the best you're going to get.

Different devices and different use cases...

With Fixed Wireless Access - the priority changes compared to mobile services on the same band.

Different devices and different use cases...

With Fixed Wireless Access - the priority changes compared to mobile services on the same band.

So is there any way to get the better speed on my mobile broadband? Since the cell tower is clearly able to provide my phone with 80mbit, it should be able to provide my router with the same 🤔 what if i upgrade my router?

But then a new router with 4g+ compatibility should solve the issue?
Yes, but, how much speed is potentially there?

I have 5G here and my max so far has been about 400/100 using a phone sim and 5G modem attached to my server. My phone though hits 600/100 but, I'm content with 400DL compared to the provider box which was typically 150-200DL.

So, depending on where you are and what your budget is will make a difference. If you're in the US then you can save some money and get better speeds using circledin.com to get a phone sim with priority data and a lower price. For the modem I'm using a SIM8380G-M2 but there are other options out there. I played around with a Fibocom as a backup but, it eats into my tether bucket but, for $50 it was a cheap experiment and a backup option if needed.

FWA box > M2 - ~$199
SIM - <$40/mo unlimited + 40GB tether (swap between home / mobile use) // cut the phone service to save another $15/mo

Now, if you don't feel like tinkering to save money and get a "router" with a built in modem it's going to cost more. But, the DIY aspect w/ a USB sled for the modem makes it portable as well if you want to use it with a laptop w/o using tether data.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online