What's new

Solved Asus Rog GT-AXE16000 Wi-Fi Dropout Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nightwing90

New Around Here
Hi Fellow Members

I am trying to figure out the current Wi-Fi issue on my AXE-16000 modem not sure if it is a hardware issue to return or not. I was super excited to try my first ROG router and it took a while to convince my wife (Finance Manager :D) to get approval but getting backlash as the router is dropping Wi-Fi signal on day 2 onwards. It is like the Wi-Fi gets dropped out randomly while using but there is no error light on the router as all the lights on white.

My current ISP: Bell Canada with 1.5 gbps plan with Gigahub router

Current setup: Disabled the Wi-Fi on ISP router, plugged the GT AXE-16000 10gbps port to 10 gbps port of ISP Gigahub using Cat 6 cable, configured Asus router using PPPOE mode. I already upgraded the router to the latest firmware, disabled smart connect option and separated SSID's and left everything as default, getting the Wi-Fi dropout. On a detailed research, I saw one post on this forum to try the custom Merlin firmware and decided to try and flashed the device yesterday and done a factory reset to start fresh and done everything as default with separated SSID's. Today morning I just noticed that even after flashing the latest Merlin firmware, the Wi-Fi signal dropped out for couple of minutes which was quite disappointing. Also, while I was going through the Asus Router mobile app I enabled Aiprotection which leads the Wi-Fi to drop again which leads me thinking did I purchased a faulty router? I am not sure if I try the AP Mode will make a difference.

I tried my best to search a lot on this forum before posting but did not find anything specific to my issue as I am facing with my AXE 16000. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks.

do you use any DFS channel ?
I think I realized my mistake on my network setup. I posted same query on Reddit and one of the member pointed out that even if I disabled the Wi-Fi from ISP router I need to put the ISP router in bridge mode otherwise both routers will be doing routing at the same time (two diff WAN IP showing at same time) which can cause double NAT which will be affecting the network significantly.

Unfortunately, my ISP router (Bell Canada Gigahub) do not allow to setup bridge mode (only allow PPPoE passthrough or another method called advanced DMZ which both have ups and downs) which leaves me no choice other than set the AXE 16000 to AP mode. it is been 12 hrs and so far the Wi-Fi is stable with no dropouts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!