What's new

GT-AXE-16000 Stuck in Boot Loop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobitFarmer

New Around Here
Hi All,

I am at the end of my technical troubleshooting knowledge on my router. About a week ago overnight my router started boot looping. Usually when this happens if I factory reset the router it fixes the issue and then I can proceed as normal. This time, the factory reboot did not resolve the issue and the boot loop persisted. To be clear, by boot loop I mean that the router powers on with the green logo on top and the power LED on. After 20 seconds it turns on for a second, and then shuts off and reboots to the green logo on top again.

I've used the ASUS Restore utility. The router stays in recovery mode (purple LED on top) and I am able to upload firmware to it via the restoration tool as well as connecting directly to the router at 192.168.1.1 and using the webpage upload utility. I've tried loading the latest firmware, the firmware it shipped with and the latest version of Merlin. I've restarted out of recovery, and factory reset out of recovery after the firmware successfully loads, but no matter what I do the boot loop persists.

I've tried known good power sources, I've tried no Ethernet plugged in, etc. I am out of troubleshooting options and I've googled and read a lot of threads on this forum and I have yet to find something that breaks the boot loop.

Would anyone be able to help me troubleshoot this? I have an RMA open with ASUS but so far they have been awful to deal with and the ETA on the RMA is 4-8 weeks and I would rather not ship out the router if I didn't have to.

I have a suspicion that this has to do with the router security settings update that they pushed a week ago which on their phones automated call response said bricked some units. However, I have no clue how I would "undo" that.

If it boot loops on stock firmware and after hard reset - send it back.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!