What's new

Bought the Asus AX5700 Dual-band RT-AX86U Pro router.. Should I pay $50 more for the Asus AX6000 or AXE7800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BuffaloChicken22

New Around Here
Hi I’m new here. We have the cheaper Spectrum internet plan, and our 10-15+ year old Netgear combined router/modem is starting to lose connection. The technician told us we need a new one, and they are no longer combined. I went and got a new/free modem from Spectrum.

My online PS4 games have also been lagging for awhile.

So I went and bought the Asus AX5700 RT-AX86U Pro router tonight for about $200. But I’m wondering if I should have paid an extra $50 for either the AX6000, or AXE7800? I’m not sure what the extra port is for, is that an extra Ethernet connection?

We have 3 TVs (sometimes streaming at the same time), 3 smart phones, a doorbell cam, Alexa, my ps4.. I’m really hoping to fix the lag problems. We may pay for higher internet speed eventually.. but probably not, since we might be upgrading to greenlight fiber optic internet in a year or so (when it arrives).

Thank you!

Your RT-AX86U Pro is an excellent router. The RT-AX88U Pro is slightly better and also has both a 2.5Gb LAN and WAN port. Whether it's worth an extra $50 I'm not sure.
The RT-AXE7800 adds the WiFi 6 extended band (AXE) but loses a 2.5Gb port. The 86 or 88 pro are the better choice IMO unless you are desperate for AXE. The pro Broadcom based routers are also supported by the 3rd party Merlin firmware too which brings added stability and features.

HB

I agree with the prior comment. The AX86U Pro is a very good router. You likely will not get better performance by spending more money. And your lag may be your ISP and not the router but new equipment is better for increased efficiency and security. The new Asus firmware for the AX86U Pro works very well except for a reported IPV6 issue. And you really do not need IPV6!

Do you have any 802.11ax devices to start with?

The "extra port" as you put it, is to get 2.5 Gbps speeds both from your internet connection and onwards to you devices, if you have a 2.5 Gbps switch and a wired network. Some of do, many don't. How fast fibre will be on offer and how fast will you be paying for? If it doesn't go beyond Gigabit speeds, then a second 2.5 Gpbs port is mostly useless.

Is your Playstation connected over Ethernet or WiFi? If it's WiFi, get a cable and connect it that way.