What's new

Can I Use Both AiMesh (Wired) and VLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pjd50

Regular Contributor
Hi there. I've used Merlin on all my ASUS router for what I think is at least a decade - this question may not be specific to Merlin, but since I use Merlin for everything I figured it's good to have that background as a "constant."

Currently have two RT-AC68Us in my property on a wired backhaul (one router, one AiMesh node). All works fairly well.

If I replace my RT-AC68U router with an RT-AC88U PRO (or similar model) so that I have: AC88U Pro (Router) + Two AC68Us (AiMesh Nodes on wired backhaul):

1. Can I create VLANs and have AiMesh working at the same time?

I read somewhere in the past (I think) there might be a conflict (perhaps the way AiMesh does VLAN tagging). But I tried searching and can't find a straight answer.

This will help me on my decision on whether or not to purchase an 88U - I appreciate any help/insight.

I hope you mean RT-AX88U Pro.

No, it doesn't. And the (old/orig) RT-AC88U is EOL today.

AC class routers have become extinct (at least where performance is concerned) a long time ago now).

Here's an example of a top-performing AC class router vs. an entry-level AX class router (that is unfortunately also EOL today) that shows how good the new AX class routers are.

And, keep in mind that was almost three years ago today...

No, it doesn't. And the (old/orig) RT-AC88U is EOL today.

AC class routers have become extinct (at least where performance is concerned) a long time ago now).

Here's an example of a top-performing AC class router vs. an entry-level AX class router (that is unfortunately also EOL today) that shows how good the new AX class routers are.

And, keep in mind that was almost three years ago today...

Thanks… looks like I need to get on the AX train …

Okay to use AX main router and AC as AiMesh nodes?

Hard to justify $200 for the RT-AX86U Pro (it’s on sale right now), as it’s still older hardware I think …

Debating whether I need the RT-AX88U Pro for the extra 2.5gb LAN. I could use that port to connect my NAS (but then have to pay more money for a 10GbE adapter for my Synology!!).

But the AX would still broadcast a stronger and WiFi 6 signal? It won’t be rate limited by the nodes right?
Actually, the AC nodes will restrict the AX router WIFI to the channels and bandwidth the nodes use.

Hard to justify $200 for the RT-AX86U Pro (it’s on sale right now), as it’s still older hardware I think …

Debating whether I need the RT-AX88U Pro for the extra 2.5gb LAN. I could use that port to connect my NAS (but then have to pay more money for a 10GbE adapter for my Synology!!).
The AX86U Pro is not old hardware. If you check it is pretty much the same as the AX88U Pro and a bargain at $199!

The AX86U Pro is not old hardware. If you check it is pretty much the same as the AX88U Pro and a bargain at $199!
I really am closing to pulling the trigger on RT-AX86U Pro … but I have wired back haul I spent a lot on and want to use aimesh nodes - but these nodes are all ac68u - seems the whole network will be restricted to 80mhz instead of 160mhz unless I upgrade everywhere!!

If you're planning on keeping the new router for anything over a year, buying the crippled RT-AX86U pro is a bad buying decision today.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the best bang for the buck, long-term, even at a higher price.

I really am closing to pulling the trigger on RT-AX86U Pro … but I have wired back haul I spent a lot on and want to use aimesh nodes - but these nodes are all ac68u - seems the whole network will be restricted to 80mhz instead of 160mhz unless I upgrade everywhere!!
80MHz is still quite capable of efficiently moving data...unless you've a very significant package speed from your ISP or are throwing 4k video files around your network wirelessly like frisbees. If these are the case, you shouldn't be using an AX88's router section.

Thanks… looks like I need to get on the AX train …

Okay to use AX main router and AC as AiMesh nodes?
your mesh would only be AC-class

Hi there. I've used Merlin on all my ASUS router for what I think is at least a decade - this question may not be specific to Merlin, but since I use Merlin for everything I figured it's good to have that background as a "constant."

Currently have two RT-AC68Us in my property on a wired backhaul (one router, one AiMesh node). All works fairly well.

If I replace my RT-AC68U router with an RT-AC88U PRO (or similar model) so that I have: AC88U Pro (Router) + Two AC68Us (AiMesh Nodes on wired backhaul):

1. Can I create VLANs and have AiMesh working at the same time?

I read somewhere in the past (I think) there might be a conflict (perhaps the way AiMesh does VLAN tagging). But I tried searching and can't find a straight answer.

This will help me on my decision on whether or not to purchase an 88U - I appreciate any help/insight.
Since nobody here has answered your question, I'd like to understand what you're looking to accomplish with vLANs and AiMesh?

Since nobody here has answered your question, I'd like to understand what you're looking to accomplish with vLANs and AiMesh?
I want AiMesh to help with whole property coverage. Nice way to utilize my older routers (rt-ac68u), since I have wired Ethernet in every room - can easily drop nice nodes for coverage.

Would be great to have vLANs for an IoT WiFi network for example - but I need/want each AiMesh node to also be pushing out the IoT VLAN, Guest WiFi VLAN, etc.

I've reviewed the official description of the VLAN functionality,

1714884461635.png

1714884493095.png

1714884513450.png

1714884541647.png

and I'm not sure if it meets your requirements. However, the prerequisite seems to be meeting the following conditions:

1). By creating a Guest network pro, a VLAN will be created as well in VLAN settings.

2). VLAN supported models:

• GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, GT-AXE16000, RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro
  • ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12(only provide beta firmware)
3). The following feature requires router firmware version later than version 3.0.0.6.102_xxxx or above. Some models provide beta firmware (9.0.0.6.102_xxxx) to experience this feature.

detail pls refer https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1049415/

I've reviewed the official description of the VLAN functionality,

View attachment 58477

View attachment 58478

View attachment 58479

View attachment 58480

and I'm not sure if it meets your requirements. However, the prerequisite seems to be meeting the following conditions:

1). By creating a Guest network pro, a VLAN will be created as well in VLAN settings.

2). VLAN supported models:

• GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, GT-AXE16000, RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro
  • ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12(only provide beta firmware)
3). The following feature requires router firmware version later than version 3.0.0.6.102_xxxx or above. Some models provide beta firmware (9.0.0.6.102_xxxx) to experience this feature.

detail pls refer https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1049415/
Do the nodes need to be one of the VLAN-supported models or just the main router?

Last edited:
Do the nodes to be one of the VLAN supported models or just the main router?

Sorry, I misread 'Mode' as 'Node' and thought it was supported. Please disregard my previous post. 🫣

1714957772600.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!