What's new

GT-AXE16000 (main) + GT-AX11000 (node) and AC-5300 (node) speed issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SupremeNorth

New Around Here
Hello SNB! Long time lurker over the years for lots of helpful information with my home AiMesh router system. Looking for more support to optimize my new setup.

ISP: Bell Fibre 3gb internet - ISP modem speedtest shows 3.25gb download/3.25gb upload.

My previous setup:
ROG GT-AX11000 (main, stock FW) - QOS speedtest shows 2.5gb down/1.2gb upload
AC-5300 (wireless bedroom node, stock FW) - wireless device speedtests show 600/550

My new setup:
ROG GT-AXE16000 (main, Merlin) - QOS speedtest shows 3.2gb download/1.5gb upload
ROG GT-AX11000 (wireless bedroom node, stock FW) - wireless device speedtests show 280/220
AC-5300 (wireless basement node, stock FW) wireless device speedtests show 290/270

My previous setup had higher 5g speeds through the AC-5300 node than my new setup which the AX11000 shows slower speeds as a node (specified above).
My question is: what can I do to "max out" speeds through my nodes (or bring speeds comparable to my previous setup)?

Few additional details:
GT-AXE16000: PPPoE connection. All 4 bands are enabled. Smart Connect mode enabled. WIFI 6 ax mode enabled. WPS disabled. 5G-2 as dedicated backhaul (this part is bugging me, as I look in the network map and see all devices connected to either 2.4g or 5g-2, no devices show connection to 5g-1. The nodes show connection to 5g. What seems to be causing this conflicting information?

Overall my setup seems stable, devices are functioning fine, just at slower speeds than expected. I would appreciate any insights or tweaks I can attempt.
Attached some screenshots of pertinent information that may be helpful, and thank you for reading!

Attachments

• 1 AiMesh.png
    1 AiMesh.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 2 node ax11000.png
    2 node ax11000.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 3 node ac-5300.png
    3 node ac-5300.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 4 wireless map.png
    4 wireless map.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5 ai mesh nodes connectivity.png
    5 ai mesh nodes connectivity.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 14
Posting again, as max picture upload is 5 per post.

Attachments

• 6 main wireless settings.png
    6 main wireless settings.png
    353.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 7 WPS disabled.png
    7 WPS disabled.png
    326 KB · Views: 13
  • 8 wireless professional settings 5g1.png
    8 wireless professional settings 5g1.png
    422.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 9 wireless professional settings 5g2.png
    9 wireless professional settings 5g2.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 10 wireless professional settings 6g.png
    10 wireless professional settings 6g.png
    417.6 KB · Views: 11
Last few screenshots. Hopefully I covered everything that may be relevant.

Attachments

• 11 wan settings.png
    11 wan settings.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 12 firmware status.png
    12 firmware status.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 16
when you combine AX and AC node you will get only AC wi-fi

please change position of ROG GT-AX11000 and AC-5300 - it is possible that AC-5300 have better wi-fi strength and overal internet speed will be better. To have good nodes speed you need to have good quality signal between router and nodes.

not sure what is QoS - it is not Quality of Service as this router cannot generate 2.5Gbit :)

please disconnect AC-5300 and check speed

when you combine AX and AC node you will get only AC wi-fi

please change position of ROG GT-AX11000 and AC-5300 - it is possible that AC-5300 have better wi-fi strength and overal internet speed will be better. To have good nodes speed you need to have good quality signal between router and nodes.

not sure what is QoS - it is not Quality of Service as this router cannot generate 2.5Gbit :)

please disconnect AC-5300 and check speed

Thank you for your reply

I currently have Wifi 6 mode enabled even though I have the AC-5300 unit. Should I disable this? (I did disable this earlier to improve my speeds but since there was no improvement, I enabled it again)

Both nodes have "great" strength via 5g indicated in the UI. I don't believe connection strength is a concern as I have used this node placement prior to my new setup and things worked flawlessly.

QOS is the in-app feature which can also run speed tests to the main router from the ISP modem, which does not seem to be a concern, rather highlighting the main router is picking up the fastest speeds possible (just not pushing it through the WIFI nodes).

I disconnected the AC-5300 unit and unfortunately did not see any improvement to my AX-11000 sadly.

Any other suggestions I'd love to hear! Thanks once again, appreciate you replying.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!