What's new

2tb ssd with external power go offline during copy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corrykof

Occasional Visitor
im copy onedrive to nas to avoid corruptions on my files like onedrive regular do
i have already copied several large maps when errors start popup
na the network signal no disk.
looking in router ax11000 the disk is not available
looking physical all seems ok, so replug the usb and scan the disk and restart copy
after a while na the disk is gone again. seems there is a usb nas problem?

seems there is a usb nas problem?

USB attached storage low reliability was discussed many times. This is not a NAS. If pushed too hard with large file transfers or multiple files it may crash the router, corrupt files or drive partitions. Look in System Log what's going on around HDD disappearance time. You may find services crashing due to insufficient memory.

ax11000 the disk is not available
It may help others if you post what firmware you are using on the router. If using Asus-Merlin firmware, post any extra add-on scripts you may be running.

Look at your router's system log and post any issues or errors that are listed around the time the USB drive becomes inaccessible.

ax11000 3004.388.6_2_rog
common use 6 ipcam (2.4), internet radio (5.1),edge(skype,whatsapp,fb-msg,video-call) on 3 laptop
200+ fiber. brgy wide sometimes short power off
ssd 2tb usb3 with external power goes offline, need replug usb to continue, but na needd restart
hp stick 2tb usb lookup errors? why not scan/repair if errors are found during inactive drive?
nas is ment for several users, i only use it as backup
there is already an issue with high cpu load internet radio have random dropouts, evening few hours sometimes already bfore usb was used
scan dont report errors unless only in systemlog, surprised scan dont use tail to monitor progress

Attachments

• syslog (3).txt
    388.7 KB · Views: 4
im copy onedrive to nas to avoid corruptions on my files like onedrive regular do
i have already copied several large maps when errors start popup
na the network signal no disk.
looking in router ax11000 the disk is not available
looking physical all seems ok, so replug the usb and scan the disk and restart copy
after a while na the disk is gone again. seems there is a usb nas problem?
Why do you have corruption with One Drive Files? I use One Drive with eight PCs/ Laptops. I have yet to run into any corrupted files over the many, many years I've used One Drive.

Why do you have corruption with One Drive Files? I use One Drive with eight PCs/ Laptops. I have yet to run into any corrupted files over the many, many years I've used One Drive.
dont know i only noticed, regular files are not readable/playable

dont know i only noticed, regular files are not readable/playable

Sounds more like your computer is corrupting the files before uploading. Over 1 billion devices run Windows.

This is not how networks work - send a packet somewhere and forget about it. If OneDrive was corrupting files it would be discovered by users in minutes, posted on tech sites the same hour and perhaps fixed by Microsoft on the next day. You better check what's going on with your files. Seriously.

Dell. You pinpointed the issue.

This is not how networks work - send a packet somewhere and forget about it. If OneDrive was corrupting files it would be discovered by users in minutes, posted on tech sites the same hour and perhaps fixed by Microsoft on the next day. You better check what's going on with your files. Seriously.
perhaps . but the thread is over usb disk in router not onedrive thats for ms

Sounds more like your computer is corrupting the files before uploading. Over 1 billion devices run Windows.

Yes - I'm thinking one of the machines attached to his OneDrive may be corrupting the files...

It's not unheard of - there was a recent issue with iCloud Storage that was triggered by the MacOS 14.4 update that would cause issues with the local files losing versions...

Cloud Storage is not a simple thing, esp with multiple workstations and the cloud side...

I'd recommend not doing this...

And a fair amount of anger feelings towards Microsoft and Apple for doing things like this - one has to step carefully with local files and cloud storage on local accounts... I should probably add Chromebooks to this statement as well...

Cloud Storage itself is fine, but only as a "shared" folder, not as a default for all clients associated with the account - for a lot of reasons, one being what happens if/when we decide to not update the cloud subscription...

ax11000 3004.388.6_2_rog
ssd 2tb usb3 with external power goes offline, need replug usb to continue, but na needd restart
hp stick 2tb usb lookup errors? why not scan/repair if errors are found during inactive drive?
Does the same problem happen if you don't use the ROG firmware? In other words, if you perform a hard factory reset then flash GT-AX11000_3004_388.6_2_ubi.w and manually configure the router (do not import a saved router.cfg file); does the same issues present themselves with the SSD drive?

To confirm, how many USB devices are attached to the router? What exactly are the USB devices (specific make/model of all USB devices attached to router)?
Are you running any add-on scripts with the Asus-Merlin firmware? If so, which ones?
Are you running VPN of any sort?
What other features or options do you have enabled on the router (AiProtection, QoS, etc.)?

If you are experiencing "high load" then access the router using SSH and run the top command. Post the results of top when the router is experiencing high load so others can see what you have running that might be impacting the router's performance.

but the thread is over usb disk not onedrive thats for ms

I wouldn't be surprised if this disk connected to your router is involved. Good luck finding your best solution.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!