What's new

AC87U frequent dropoff in internet on both WiFi and ethernet - whats going on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Philip Rohrhuber

Occasional Visitor
Hey all

Have had the AC87U for several years, running perfectly and being constantly on.

Now a few days ago I updated the firmware to the newest 3.0.0.4.382_52545-ga0245cc. But since then I have gotten frequent drops in internet both wifi and ethernet. And then after some time, it comes back online. Super annoying.

The service provider says they can't see anything wrong from their end.

Please see the attached system log from the router.

Can see from different recent threads about this exact issue, the following possible solutions:
  1. Change to a new power adapter
  2. Change the router. It is EOL
But what about factory reset? Or can I reverse to the old firmware somehow?

PErhaps try the Merlin firmware?

If nothing works for this old router. Then what new router would you guys recommend?

Thanks all

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    268.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Didn't you already ask about it here?

That's pretty similar to how my R7800 behaved before it kicked the bucket.
Yes, factory reset might help, but only for a while.

It seems that the internet cutoff only happens due to my stationary PC, which is connected to the router through ethernet. All other devices, like tv, iPad and phones don't trigger it.
That is strange. Never happened before. And I have not done anything new or different with my PC I think.

I made a factory reset to the router. It still disconnects.

This is the new system log attached. I really can't read from it, if there is anything to look out for in my troubleshooting.

Attachments

• syslog (2).txt
    28.6 KB · Views: 3
Didn't you already ask about it here?
Yes, my bad for making double posts to seperate places. Please see my latest post in this thread below.

Have had the AC87U for several years, running perfectly and being constantly on.

Now a few days ago I updated the firmware to the newest 3.0.0.4.382_52545-ga0245cc. But since then I have gotten frequent drops in internet both wifi and ethernet. And then after some time, it comes back online. Super annoying.

Classic symptoms of an AC adapter starting to fail...

The AC wall plug is an AC adaptor (AC to DC).

No guarantees, but many have found that is all that was needed.

At the very least, it will eliminate the PS as the issue.

One thing I would add - The RT-AC87U is getting on in years now, so there are other things that can go wrong - might consider an upgrade to a newer router in the near future.

Since you already have an Asus router, my suggestion would be to stay with them, something in the WiFi6 class

I just saw Microsoft posted this update KB5037771 and it resolves and issue from a prior win update from around april and forward, regarding VPN connections that fail. Perhaps this update somehow resolves our AC87U connection drop issue!?

EDIT: ONe day later now, after win patch install, same disconnections happing.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!