What's new

RT-AC87U 5GHz frequently dropping after latest signature update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bibbis

New Around Here
Hi guys!
I have an RT-AC87U that started dropping the 5Ghz wifi frequently last week.
A long restart doesn't do anything, and just leaving it on for a few minutes fixes the issue for a while.
2.4GHz remains stable.
After a few days I looked at the settings and looked for FW updates.
No new FW or Signature updates, but the Signature version had been updated last on Friday 19th, and that's the day the problems started happening.
I have no idea what the Signature version means, but it's a really strange coincident.

The router is very old now and I've had great use out of it for several years.
I even moved over permanently to using wifi on my desktop PC after seeing how impressive the 5GHz performance was.
I'm fine with buying a new router, and I can't wait to see how good 6/6E is compared to 5, even if I buy a budget one now.
(im waiting a few more months more before buying a 802.11be router)

But i should at least try to troubleshoot my current one before buying a new one.

Any ideas on this?
Have you seen this before?

Hi, I have same issue like you. I think also in your case, the router is restarted and 2.4GHz has taken less time to re-work than 5GHz. Maybe the pile inside the router is low. But I didn't try to replace this. Anyone can confirm ?

I have the same issue with my AC87U. Updated the firmware a week ago. And now I get frequent dropoffs on both ethernet and wifi connection. Super annoying.
Signature: 2.400 Updated : 2023/10/19 02:06
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.382_52545-ga0245cc

Router is quite old now, but has worked perfectly over the years. Don't understand the recent instability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!