What's new

Amplifi Alien

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay is this Alien version like the previous Amplifi having a non configurable firewall , meaning security conscious people are running in bridge mode and needing a firewall device/router between modem and your Alien?

I see the Ubiquiti sales blurb doesn't mention security at all.

Glad the Alien is working so well for you. Were you using the same device for both measurements and what was the AC router used?

Glad the Alien is working so well for you. Were you using the same device for both measurements and what was the AC router used?

Asus gt-ac5300. I asked them to send you a unit. I gave them your site and they were impressed.

On the firewall and ips. I called them out on that first thing. They say that it does have both. I told them they need it in writing or its not worth anything. Currently you can do port forwarding and basic firewall stuff. Honestly, they are very secretive when it comes to stuff for security reasons.

I work in Unfi all day and there security is great. Yes that's their business product, but they just borrow the code.

Last edited:
Asus gt-ac5300. I asked them to send you a unit. I gave them your site and they were impressed.
Thanks. ASUS knows me and SNB quite well. Reviewed both the GT and RT-AC5300 back in 2017 and 2016, respectively.

I'm quite surprised you found such a large increase in 5 GHz throughput using the same device, unless you went from using 80 MHz bandwidth to 160 MHz.

Thanks. ASUS knows me and SNB quite well. Reviewed both the GT and RT-AC5300 back in 2017 and 2016, respectively.

I'm quite surprised you found such a large increase in 5 GHz throughput using the same device, unless you went from using 80 MHz bandwidth to 160 MHz.

Part of it was reception. For some reason I only had 2-3 out of 5 bars with AC vs 5 with AX.

My boss and I both said that their are people who will not buy routers until they see it on your site first.

How do you know Alien is Qualcomm based? And, if it is, does it use Hawkeye 1 or 2 chipset? Hawkeye 1 supports OFDMA downlink only.

How do you know Alien is Qualcomm based? And, if it is, does it use Hawkeye 1 or 2 chipset? Hawkeye 1 supports OFDMA downlink only.

I spoke to a engineer there on the phone. They said its Qualcomm, also they do list it as a Quadcore 2.2Ghz cpu and broadcom does not make one. They wont tell me the model of Qualcomm they are using. Their email below. I asked them to send you one in hopes you tear it apart, lol.

Hi Timothy,

Received a response from the development team and they have asked to refer the datasheet: https://amplifi.com/docs/AmpliFi_Alien_Datasheet.pdf and I am sorry we cannot disclose the info about the CPU and the RAM used in the Alien router.

Hope that's helpful. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

This was my question to them.

Could someone please tell me the cpu inside the Ampilifi Alien. I have the 2 main chips Qualcomm sells, below both are 2.2Ghz. Also how much ram?

1. Qualcomm networking pro 1200 (newest)
2. Qualcomm IPQ8078

This was the email about OFDMA
  • Timothy 7 days ago
    Sorry to bother you, quick question. Is OFDMA enabled or will it be enabled in a future update.

• UI-Brett 2 days ago
    Yes it is configured into the AmpliFi Alien and is enabled by default.

• Sorry for the delayed response!

I appreciate the info. I'm amazed you could get an actual person on the phone.
Yes, the specs make sense (8 streams for 5 GHz and processor spec) to indicate Qualcomm.
The real question is which generation chipset. If 1st gen, then no UL OFDMA.

Amplifi/Ubiquiti and I have an sometimes contentious relationship. They did not like how their previous generation Amplifi came out in my first Wi-Fi system roundup review. So we are not really in touch. I'll ping the PR person shown on the Alien release.

Yes, the specs make sense (8 streams for 5 GHz and processor spec) to indicate Qualcomm.

Amplifi/Ubiquiti and I have an sometimes contentious relationship. They did not like how their previous generation Amplifi came out in my first Wi-Fi system roundup review. So we are not really in touch. I'll ping the PR person shown on the Alien release.

I have the question sent to them about the OFDMA downlink and uplink. As soon as I hear back I will let you know.

I think it's hardly just you, as Ars Technica did a really detailed mesh router comparison and the Amplifi systems did not compare favorably there at all either. Curious if they took some of this to heart in the design of the Alien to try and shore up the weak spots.

That being said - I had the HD router for quite some time and the performance for me was always quite good, although I wasn't doing benchmark testing.

spoke to a engineer there on the phone. They said its Qualcomm, also they do list it as a Quadcore 2.2Ghz cpu and broadcom does not make one. They wont tell me the model of Qualcomm they are using.

Assuming they use some common GPL packages such as dnsmasq or busybox, they might have a GPL drop available for download which would contain a lot of technical information.

EDIT: they don't even provide a firmware download link on their support site. So I guess that means if your router can't connect to the Internet and requires a firmware update (in case of a compatibility issue, or a failed firmware upgrade), you can't manually download and flash a firmware image either...

Last edited:
Assuming they use some common GPL packages such as dnsmasq or busybox, they might have a GPL drop available for download which would contain a lot of technical information.

EDIT: they don't even provide a firmware download link on their support site. So I guess that means if your router can't connect to the Internet and requires a firmware update (in case of a compatibility issue, or a failed firmware upgrade), you can't manually download and flash a firmware image either...

All firmware stuff is handled through their app. Sucks but they are working on their web Gui still.

As per Amplifi it has both uplink and downlink OFDMA. So Tim that makes it the Qualcomm networking pro 1200 correct?

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qualcomm-networking-pro-1200-platform

UI-Brett 10 minutes ago
Yes, both uplink and downlink

Last edited:
As per Amplifi it has both uplink and downlink OFDMA. So Tim that makes it the Qualcomm networking pro 1200 correct?
The Networking Pro 1200 Product Brief lists part numbers of IPQ8078 v2, IPQ8076 v2, IPQ8074 v2, IPQ8072 v2. Gen 1 "Hawkeye" chipset uses the same part numbers. Hawkeye 1 doesn't support OFDMA UL. So if Amplifi says UL OFDMA is supported, it must use the Gen2.

I've had no response from Amplifi/UBNT on my Alien query. I'll have to buy one.

The Networking Pro 1200 Product Brief lists part numbers of IPQ8078 v2, IPQ8076 v2, IPQ8074 v2, IPQ8072 v2. Gen 1 "Hawkeye" chipset uses the same part numbers. Hawkeye 1 doesn't support OFDMA UL. So if Amplifi says UL OFDMA is supported, it must use the Gen2.

I've had no response from Amplifi/UBNT on my Alien query. I'll have to buy one.

Do you want a donation? Its worth donating for me, I want those teardown pics. Lol

Do you want a donation? Its worth donating for me, I want those teardown pics. Lol
Thanks, but not necessary. I may not be opening it up. We can wait for the FCC doc pix to be released. We sorta know what's in it anyway.

I'm more focused on looking at OFDMA performance. This will be the first product consumers can buy that supports UL/DL OFDMA in both bands... supposedly. You can be sure I'll be confirming that via packet capture.

I'll have to buy one.

Get it from a store with 30-day money back, test it without opening the unit, return it when done.
It doesn't have to be the first review of the product, people trust SNB reviews, they can wait a bit longer.

I think this is more appropriate , only £160.00 per bottle. . . . OFDMA ....... Only for discerning malt appreciators.

You could go the Dream Machine, Dream Machine Pro or:
2013 Taste of Diamonds – $2.07 million

2013-Taste-of-Diamonds_Solo.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!