What's new

Any DD-WRT gurus here?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I need some help with setting up guest wireless on multiple radios with the same SSID. All of the tutorials are really for single-radio configurations.

I think you need to ask a more specific question. With more specifics provided.

I can certainly do that. :D I was waiting for someone to respond before getting exhaustive.

Bottom line is that the majority of the current tutorials for configuring guest wifi on DD-WRT are similar to the one written by Kong on his website: http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/

This configuration relies on creating an unbridged interface on the wireless virtual interface and attaching the gateway IP and DHCP server to that interface. It creates a "quick and dirty" guest wireless network that can access the internet through WAN eth1 without seeing the private LAN.

The problem with this is that it doesn't allow for creating a unified guest wireless network that runs on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios - it's dedicated on one band or the other. To get the two wireless networks to function together, they have to be bridged, which of course breaks his configuration, which depends on creating unbridged interfaces.

I found some older tutorials that use bridged interfaces and some manual iptables rules, like this blog here: http://www.alexlaird.com/2013/03/dd-wrt-guest-wireless/

These tutorials were created prior to Kong and BrainSlayer implementing some code (e.g. Net Isolation) that did the iptables work in the background just by checking a box in the UI. I'm just wondering if these types of configs are still valid and functional. If they are, then I'm set. I've already got my iptables rules built and ready to go, I just wanted to make sure it's all going to work.

Isn't it easier to just try it then yourself? ;)

It's easy enough to prove it's functional. Knowing whether or not it is fully secure is another thing. Plus, I don't generally have a lot of time to play around. I need to get things back up and running as quickly as possible.

Just looking for feedback before I tear into it.

Okay, now I think you have given enough information so that it is possible for someone to help if they can.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!