What's new

Asus Rog GT-AX6000 Decision / RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GreyHawkz

Occasional Visitor
I like the RT-AX88U Pro; issue is the vents on top. I have two dogs and vacuum every day, lots of dust! I have been looking at the GT-AX6000 - specs look really good. How would both of these compare to the RT-AX86U Pro? Thinking long term, distance and speed. I do a lot of streaming - Nvidia Shield/Apple TV. My son does gaming. Home is appx 2000 sq ft/two story home.

They all share the same CPU and the same radios, so expect similar performance.

Just went through a similar decision, although the RT-AX88U Pro is not available where I live so it came down to a choice between the GT-AX6000 and the RT-AX86U Pro. I picked the RT-AX86U Pro. It's a newer model and it was substantially cheaper. I also find the GT-AX6000 breathtakingly horrifying to look at, but that's very much a personal preference.

The RT-AX88U Pro is newer again, and it also offers an extra 2.5GbE port over the RT-AX86U Pro. I've been very happy with the RT-AX86U Pro but really, you can't go wrong with any of the three models you're considering. For streaming and gaming, you won't notice any difference.

Yes.

I have an RT-AX88U (non pro but similar design) that lives in a space I share with several dusty birds. Before this I had an RT-AC88U (again a similar design) in the same place. A quick monthly visit with a vacuum and I've never had a problem with accumulation of dust, and have seen zero overheating.

In addition to the above, the RT-AX86U
If you don't need 2x 2.5GbE ports RT-AX86U Pro is your best choice.

Pro is only 3x3 on the 2.4 GHz, which may or may not be a
I am up in the air right now between these three, RT-AX86UPro, RT-AX88UPro and GT-AX6000. I can get these pretty cheap using my Amazon credits - USD Dollars
AX86U Pro - appx $82 out of pocket
AX88U Pro - appx $95
GT-AX6000 - appx $116
I stream alot, Nvidia Shield/Apple TV, have several wifi security cameras and son is a big gamer. I would at some point like to add a NAS. Still thinking about it since I use cloud storage right now and like to access on the go; primarily OneDrive. Which one would you all recommend at this price point?

Has anyone ever actually needed 4x4 on the 2.4GHz channel? Sure, I have the GT-AX6000, so it's there, but would I really miss it if it were gone?

Has anyone ever actually needed 4x4 on the 2.4GHz channel? Sure, I have the GT-AX6000, so it's there, but would I really miss it if it were gone?
It's not so much about need as it allows for multiple devices (assuming they support MU-MIMO) to use the 2.4 GHz band simultaneously without having to wait for each other. It really comes down to use case, but say you have a patio/back yard you want to use WiFi in, you're unlikely to get a 5 GHz signal out there, but 2.4 GHz will most likely work.

I am up in the air right now between these three, RT-AX86UPro, RT-AX88UPro and GT-AX6000. I can get these pretty cheap using my Amazon credits - USD Dollars
AX86U Pro - appx $82 out of pocket
AX88U Pro - appx $95
GT-AX6000 - appx $116
I stream alot, Nvidia Shield/Apple TV, have several wifi security cameras and son is a big gamer. I would at some point like to add a NAS. Still thinking about it since I use cloud storage right now and like to access on the go; primarily OneDrive. Which one would you all recommend at this price point?
Based on what you have to pay, I'd go with the AX88U Pro. It seems to be the better supported device by Asus right now as well.
It's very easy to access your home NAS on the go, I have one in another country and can access it from anywhere in the world. Just install WireGuard on your PC and enable it on the router and you can access your entire home network from anywhere in the world that you have a decent enough internet connection.

Based on what you have to pay, I'd go with the AX88U Pro. It seems to be the better supported device by Asus right now as well.
It's very easy to access your home NAS on the go, I have one in another country and can access it from anywhere in the world. Just install WireGuard on your PC and enable it on the router and you can access your entire home network from anywhere in the world that you have a decent enough internet connection.
I have been really focusing on that one. Top vents on router are my only concern - open to dust. I have two dogs and dust accumulation

I have been really focusing on that one. Top vents on router are my only concern - open to dust. I have two dogs and dust accumulation
The GT-AX6000 isn't any better, it has top vents as well. That ROG logo is the air vents on the top and there are also side vents.
Also, that's how big it is compared to a 14" notebook.

AP1GczO8dpMmOS_faLVXw3irf2qvoUgSpgjF-8Q2WyN3YEpt8HRk7y64chQTxuSmU-I7z2YdAxXgmmlfXzaw0poDclP5yz6KTS_bHlhN8qAJC-D6-j7eIDNCIaKVIjQjHJ8ziVvxHpd9bAzikNOey5MHqpkxzOTMX37ATRkKU-0fm7ESbx3zmipYWMzryOL2j1IR0gundM-WyuZ4xfdxtrK9SW6ZtHBKfL_IzfdjS00K70KRlJRI3N-LpkIzdMMqC_i5Bw535Vlfk0EselC_rar3isvOy6viPPWpXD0rRMZnKSl7Kbd1O_W0RTpCNshnC3jO9kJyIANdzK3sNZv11uqrvNjFWFawISUTqVUIPilsdhz2kQ1rXW2CNSBJhNLHMCEFb12glXBOqz5JWAENPIcg1HBbTW7W2ogKPUdbvjhA49kPzT0bvhhnQ5eQMwfERHonuJQcyVyZaM3tRE19DqDHbvcWFbUh7mdPT40qLmF2mGStFX-PsafpftH_QNP7bgpoFd8kAUI_oJhSmcV8TiLRlmw54iY98NH9M6RywDgrH4hpqa2_LhtlKmIy7W_w36au9hO-rFEkj264laNTXkU3YHqff9NXr3_ybgaV58q305EE5MiFWANQzWaLtZwriRWWZRIk8DWiWjhQOZkcjCR38jq9I62K5c4osPpKHwNTng7NZT7HlMbexOPmzNjJ0W4OLa9RhIZnObwuNy4pNnH1FDTZhso03O0Ka0M55GiWNCHwQyQYzq-hx_O1zAjF4NW9oc9P_86bNGYzvV8zu1bGWlpioV9SXoUPpRdgkO3CjIueKJHJ9XMroUiAhX2WUuloaOYE97yaFrs3R4YiYfMp7EeUghGL9v2IiHf-obgvmnUug1uWm-sICx4F397yQBjYEnvJ7KAvL2fl_690YqmH04b6mw=w1919-h1445-s-no-gm

Yea, thats a huge device. Antennas hold up ok? Vents on this one are not as exposed as the AX88u Pro - vent grill on top; looks exposed.

Yea, thats a huge device. Antennas hold up ok? Vents on this one are not as exposed as the AX88u Pro - vent grill on top; looks exposed.
No issues with the antennas, it's mostly plastic and for show, so they're not as heavy as they look, but yeah, they're chunky.
I only got the GT-AX6000 as it was on sale and was a lot cheaper locally compared to the AX88U Pro.

Couple of reviews if you're interested

No issues with the antennas, it's mostly plastic and for show, so they're not as heavy as they look, but yeah, they're chunky.
I only got the GT-AX6000 as it was on sale and was a lot cheaper locally compared to the AX88U Pro.

Couple of reviews if you're interested
I am considering the GT-AX6000; bulky but vents are not as exposed as the AX88u Pro. Are there any that will transmit signal in the 160mhz range above channel 100 / DFS?

It's not so much about need as it allows for multiple devices (assuming they support MU-MIMO) to use the 2.4 GHz band

AX-class devices only, in case AX is enabled on the 2.4GHz band. None B/G/N-class devices support MU-MIMO and the required Explicit Beamforming.

Last edited:
I am considering the GT-AX6000; bulky but vents are not as exposed as the AX88u Pro. Are there any that will transmit signal in the 160mhz range above channel 100 / DFS?
I use channel 100 @ 160 MHz, but the higher channels are not available in Europe, so I couldn't tell you.