What's new

ASUS Unveils RT-BE88U WiFi 7 Dual-Band Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Was derzeit bestätigt werden kann, ist, dass die neue Version der Funkfrequenzzuteilungsvorschriften meines Landes der Volksrepublik China (Verordnung Nr. 62 des Ministeriums für Industrie und Informationstechnologie) das gesamte oder einen Teil des Frequenzbands 6425–7125 MHz für IMT zuweist ( Internationale Mobilkommunikation, einschließlich 5G/6G-System. Daher werden Wi-Fi 7-Geräte auf dem chinesischen Festland kurzfristig nicht vom 6-GHz-Frequenzband unterstützt, und die Wahrscheinlichkeit, dass sie von der 320-MHz-Bandbreite unterstützt werden, ist ebenfalls gering.

v2-cb503dfc661e2d607debf7c2d817d5a8_1440w.webp
v2-d669de6502974d3324af42d6cc7c750f_r.jpg

v2-3b9235eb402345c12b2d4d2636738843_1440w.webp

Removable antennas, very interesting!

Removable antennas, very interesting!

No 6GHz band, antennas can be removable.

I like this consumer style marketing, very informative:

1711728822845.png

The reality for this specific product:

The "old" AX88U model - up to 6600Mbps
The "new" BE88U model - up to 7200Mbps

In the right parts of the world this router does have 6GHz WiFi. Read through what @PR3MIUM linked.

Sorry, I don't find this information on the link provided. This model is listed/reviewed everywhere as dual band 2.4GHz + 5GHz.

Sorry, I don't find this information on the link provided. This model is listed/reviewed everywhere as dual band 2.4GHz + 5GHz.
You're right, mea culpa.
But that would mean this router is not wifi7(?).

Last edited:
Interesting.
I guess idle power consumption at least around 20Watts, heavy duty operation prob. >30W ?
No active cooling needed.
Had several GT-AX6000 - all have more or less coil whine on active radios. This model too?
Maybe better wait for a Pro version with 802.11BE wave 2 silicon?

But that would mean this router is not wifi7(?).

This means some Wi-Fi 7 features limited by what's possible in dual-band configuration, but with full Wi-Fi 7 marketing around it.

Isn't it the same situation with current Wi-Fi 6 routers, by the way? How many are using Wi-Fi 6 on 40MHz channel 2.4GHz band and have guaranteed clear 160MHz channel 5GHz band? Asus recommends disabling Wi-Fi 6 on the 2.4GHz band for IoT compatibility. For most users Wi-Fi 6 only increased the link speed from 866Mbps to 1200Mbps. Hard to tell the difference with Wi-Fi 5. What most users upgraded to is faster CPU/RAM in newer AIO routers giving "more responsive" network feel.

Last edited:
This means some Wi-Fi 7 features limited by what's possible in dual-band configuration, but with full Wi-Fi 7 marketing around it.

And full on marketing overdrive on the PR - that's ok I suppose.

Just makes it a bit harder to know what it's really capable of...

It gots MLO!

Mainly, it saves cost on the case / antennas since that's already paid for.

I'll bet it works very well. What's the MSRP?

I saw GT-BE25000 listed at the ROG site. Looks identical to the RT-BE98 non-pro.

@RMerlin Any asus routers supporting 240 Mhz channel width on 5Ghz? Ubiquiti U7-Pro supports it but I am unsure if any clients support it or not.

It could be huge factor in countries that haven't opened up 6Ghz for Wifi use. It can reach theoretical 4.35 Gbps on dual stream on 5Ghz Wifi7. This is the best compromise as range will be better on 5Ghz and might even beat 6Ghz as per my understanding.

Here is screenshot from U7-Pro:

photo1711970277.jpeg

When and where in the world will sales of the Asus RT-BE88U begin?

I personally expect China release first followed by other countries with no 6GHz band available.

Questions.

The RT-AX88U has a monster CPU for a router, it could do QOS at gigabit or near gigabit speed.

I have a GT-AXE16000, and the CPU kinda sucked, it could do about 600/700 mbit of QOS traffic, really a massive downgrade. I have been wanting to upgrade to a BE98 for the new CPU (holding off till Merlin fw), as it should give me a large bump in processing power due to the higher clocks and a newer gen CPU.

My questions is, how does the CPU the RT-BE88U compare to the BE98. I do see they have the same clock, but I'm not familiar with it's processing power?

There is no router with a 'monster' CPU. All are underpowered, IMO.

Sure, up to 30% faster (nominally) for this latest round of hardware, but that just speaks of how bad they were (and still are).

The RT-AX88U has a monster CPU for a router, it could do QOS at gigabit or near gigabit speed.

No, it can do about 350-400Mbps only with true SQM. It's RPi-like hardware with 1GB RAM only.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!