What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good day,
I upgraded my RT-N66U to 380.58 a few days ago from 378.51, update went smoothly, reset to factory defaults from webgui. I have got a few wireless disconnects that never happened before. (2.4Ghz band only 5ghz disabled, 20Mhz, and ch.11, scan showed routers in area with ch.1 and 6)

Now I am a noob with networking/routers. Just wondering if I should try another reflash and use the button to do a factory default and or a power cycle or anything else?

edit - if logs could help let me know and I can paste them in, although I just cleared them, for some reason it shows march, and then it jumps back to july or august for some reason?

Thanks

Good day,
I upgraded my RT-N66U to 380.58 a few days ago from 378.51, update went smoothly, reset to factory defaults from webgui. I have got a few wireless disconnects that never happened before. (2.4Ghz band only 5ghz disabled, 20Mhz, and ch.11, scan showed routers in area with ch.1 and 6)

Now I am a noob with networking/routers. Just wondering if I should try another reflash and use the button to do a factory default and or a power cycle or anything else?

edit - if logs could help let me know and I can paste them in, although I just cleared them, for some reason it shows march, and then it jumps back to july or august for some reason?

Thanks

it's not necessarily a firmware upgrade problem, although it could be. A reboot won't hurt, but should not be necessary, maybe give it a try - or go to your wireless device(s) and restart them, or remove/redo the connection on the device, it's probably traversing through old stored values for signal acquisition. If no change then logs may help.

I seem to be missing a gene that gives me instinctal like knowledge everyone else has of knowing what CTF means ;-) What does CTF mean? I have the RT-AC68P and I know upgrading to 380.58 downgrades my wireless driver which works fine on 380.57 for the little bit I use it.

The changelog states:
RT-AC68U 2.4 GHz was broken if CTF was disabled
(downgraded wifi driver to 6.37.14.105)

I seem to be missing a gene that gives me instinctal like knowledge everyone else has of knowing what CTF means ;-) What does CTF mean? I have the RT-AC68P and I know upgrading to 380.58 downgrades my wireless driver which works fine on 380.57 for the little bit I use it.

The changelog states:
RT-AC68U 2.4 GHz was broken if CTF was disabled
(downgraded wifi driver to 6.37.14.105)
some of us have older revision/model 68Us which were incompatible with the Broadcom 380.57 update,
although some with the same revision/model had zero problems, so it's unclear.

CTF = Cut Through Forwarding http://www.snbforums.com/threads/broadcoms-hardware-acceleration.18144/

Anyone having problem upgrading from 380.57 to 380.58 on RT-AC66R? I tried standard upgrade, restoring to default then upgrade, upgrading to an official Asus firmware then upgrading but everytime it upgrades, it just puts me in recovery mode. So I am back down to 380.57.

Regards,
Working here, no issues.

Are there still known issues with wireless speed for AC68U?

I just noticed today that my 100/100 internet connection is throttled on wireless to maximum 65 Mbps, both on 2,4 and 5 GHz, but only on download, upload still works at maximum ~93 Mbps.

I am testing from 2 laptops, one MacBook Pro 2014 with AC, and another Windows 8.1 with Intel AC, both of them work in full 92/93 Mbps on cable, just the wireless is the problem.

The signal quality is very good, there are almost no other networks here, RSSI -53 dBm and Noise -95 dBm, Asus Merlin 380.57, 380.58, downgraded to 378.56_2, even on stock firmware, and the same. QoS disabled, everything is default as after nvram deleted, just PPPoE setup and wireless password for both networks added.

What else can I try? Can it be a HW defect?

Thank you!

Howdy,
Any IPV6 system is still a little shaky without a full on boot. (just the nature of the implementation)
Steps to correct situation.
1. power down all components (all off at least 10 minutes)
2. Power on your modem. (wait at least 5 minutes)
3. Power on your router (wait at least 5 minutes)
4. Power on your computer
5. Power on your next and so on.

I have powered down my modem and router for over 5 minutes. I don't have anything attached and can't seem to get an IPv6 address from Time Warner. Even resetting the device and doing a 5 minute power cycle again and I cannot get an IPv6 address from Time Warner. I tried activating IPv6 before entering in any other settings manually in my router. Is there a log I can activate or somehow see what I am doing wrong or see if there is an error?

I have powered down my modem and router for over 5 minutes. I don't have anything attached and can't seem to get an IPv6 address from Time Warner. Even resetting the device and doing a 5 minute power cycle again and I cannot get an IPv6 address from Time Warner. I tried activating IPv6 before entering in any other settings manually in my router. Is there a log I can activate or somehow see what I am doing wrong or see if there is an error?

5 minutes may not be long enough. 10 minutes (full) minimum; but 30 minutes even better.

When I have to do this type of troubleshooting, a full hour of all network equipment off and physically unplugged from the AC will either fix the issue right there, or will let me know it is something else to chase after. ;)

Merlin on .58 firmware vpn stops working, more specifically dns stops working.
It happans every few days or every other day.

Don't know if this has anything to do with dns filtering you have implemented. I don't use dns filtering and redirect all traffic threw vpn. No routing rules either.

Tunnel is connected and i don't see anything bad in system log but then only way to bring vpn back is to turn off vpn and turn it back on.

I have downgraded to .57 and will see how it goes but from what i remember .57 was smooth sailing and only thing that i can think of that you changed is that automatic dns filtering rule.

Had a search on this site.

From the log...

Mar 31 16:29:02 kernel: mppe_compress[5]: osize too small! (have: 1408 need: 1412)
Mar 31 16:29:02 kernel: ppp: compressor dropped pkt

Sorry, don't know how to post code in a frame. These messages repeat every few seconds.
Some references to this on the web, but how to resolve it with Asus-Merlin?

RT-AC88U 380.58 pptp client. Data arrives, but very slow compared to vpn pptp client running on pc, using same server.

Other issue (I wrote in the AC88 thread) is router spuriously crashing as wifi client connects. Any client, no error message in log, just shows busybox starting after the crash.

I'm a virgin to these types of issues! never had any problems with AC66/Merlin.

Would appreciate some help.

Are there still known issues with wireless speed for AC68U?

I just noticed today that my 100/100 internet connection is throttled on wireless to maximum 65 Mbps, both on 2,4 and 5 GHz, but only on download, upload still works at maximum ~93 Mbps.

I am testing from 2 laptops, one MacBook Pro 2014 with AC, and another Windows 8.1 with Intel AC, both of them work in full 92/93 Mbps on cable, just the wireless is the problem.

The signal quality is very good, there are almost no other networks here, RSSI -53 dBm and Noise -95 dBm, Asus Merlin 380.57, 380.58, downgraded to 378.56_2, even on stock firmware, and the same. QoS disabled, everything is default as after nvram deleted, just PPPoE setup and wireless password for both networks added.

What else can I try? Can it be a HW defect?

Thank you!

I have the same AC68P on this firmware with a 200/20 Internet connection and I can get full speed on both my iPhone and iPad, so I don't think it is anything with this firmware version causing it. Did you do a reset to factory defaults after the firmware update?

Upgraded from 380.57 to sort 2.4ghz wifi, now on 380.58 IPTV isn't working - reverting back to 380.57 resolves the issues. Other than IPTV everything was working without a problem

AC56 in repeater mode isn't forwarding IPv6. Attempted to enter ipv6 address/gateway/firewall off via nvram without any success. Is there a guide available for this usage?

I'm having issues on my RT-AC56U where the admin site asks for logon credentials for pretty much any "apply" action that I attempt.
The behavior starts when I change router name and LAN subnet (e.g. to 192.168.100.1) on the LAN-LAN IP page.

After that, whenever I navigate to router admin site, and enter the credentials, the router will display the "Network map" page. Immediately after that it asks for credentials again.

Once it starts with these authentication dialogs, I can't even perform a factory reset or firmware upgrade because even those operations pop up the login dialog - and when I enter the correct credentials, I'm just thrown into default "Network map" page.

The router seems to work OK, I just lose any chance of adjusting its settings once this starts.

Edit: Reverting to 380.57_0 or 378.56_2 does not help
Reverting to 378.55_0 eliminates the problem.

Last edited:
I have the same AC68P on this firmware with a 200/20 Internet connection and I can get full speed on both my iPhone and iPad, so I don't think it is anything with this firmware version causing it. Did you do a reset to factory defaults after the firmware update?

Yes, I reset the nvram many times, I also checked with my iPhone 6 and it's the same problem, 55 download 93 upload. I used iperf to test wi-fi to lan speed, and it's working as it should, I got 382 Mbits/sec download and 327 Mbits/sec upload, so it's something wrong just with WAN to wi-fi. On cable the same laptop gets full speed of my contract, 93/92.

My rt-ac68u ipv6 was purring along until 380.58 was installed. I kept losing ipv6 like the above user said. How did this bug sneak back in if it was taken care of previously?
Simple: it was never fixed previously, it was just reported previously (on this forum too)
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ipv6-tunnel-instability-with-378-51-on-rt-n66u.23553/
and too long ago counting ASUS forum post from 2014. Just turn off CTF if you prefer IPv6 over lots of torrents handling. Probably it is never manifested for real IPv6 (my provider don't have) and related to the tunnel modes only, I can't test this.

Last edited:
Yes, I reset the nvram many times, I also checked with my iPhone 6 and it's the same problem, 55 download 93 upload. I used iperf to test wi-fi to lan speed, and it's working as it should, I got 382 Mbits/sec download and 327 Mbits/sec upload, so it's something wrong just with WAN to wi-fi. On cable the same laptop gets full speed of my contract, 93/92.

I had a similar issue with my RT-AC68P. I never specifically tested my speed after upgrading to 380.58 until it became noticeable. I started having trouble with Netflix. I went to speedtest.net and my 65/6 connection was showing as 12/1. I assumed it was my isp because Cox sucks but when it still wasn't fixed the next day I went to their site and they didn't report any issues. I noticed they also had a speed test on their site and it showed 12/1 as well. I rebooted the router and it instantly went up to 65/6 and has stayed there for almost a week.

I don't think the problem was just WAN though because I have a HDD attached to my router that I use for daily backups. I noticed that when this issue was happening my backup took 3 minutes instead of 1.

I have the same problem on AC88U and couldn't find a solution until your suggestion with DoS.
Turning it off fixed all of my problems with port forwarding. Thanks! :)
But I have no idea how to resolve the issue...

Anyone experienced problems with DoS prevention turned on (380.58) and port forward used?
My case:
AC87U, upgraded from 378.56_2 to 380.58 (380.57 had many issues to me). No reset after upgrade - just reboot. All work fine, for a first sight.
On the LAN side I have Synology NAS (FTP service up) and port forvarding config for it (21 and 5001 for web interface of NAS) on AC87U.
Access from WAN side to FTP and web interface of NAS, on 378.56_2 was without any issues. But, after upgrade to 380.58, I've experienced some kind of deny of access for those services (for example - can connect to FTP just one time in, probably, twenty tries). Nothing changed on the NAS side, and AC87U accessible from WAN, WebUI of AC87U show port forwarding is up and work.
So, when I tried to switch off a whole firewall on the AC87U - issue is gone! After that, I tried to switch firewall back on, and, just off a DoS prevention - no issue with forwarding!!! Tried to back DoS prevention on - issue is back. Now, I've turned DoS prevention off for a working port forward.
So, probably something changed here, in DoS prevention??? or here is some kind of interference with port forwarding feature????

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!