What's new

Ax57 qos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stormeagle

New Around Here
I have a 500/20 connection and when enabling qos and setting the upload and download bandwidths my speeds get cut to 300 or so via wired. Same on WiFi.

Wondering if there’s some setting or if it’s just the nature of the beast. Speed test within router is 590

Stock latest firmware.

Yes, QoS disables the hardware acceleration of NAT. Expected results.

Business/Enterprise grade equipment.

No, I don't run that type of hardware.

Look at Cisco, Aruba, etc.

So none of the ASUS stuff can do qos and hardware acceleration?

This RT-AX57 router in particular is one of the cheapest possible AX-class routers and according to listed specifications it doesn't have Adaptive QoS.

You need RT-AX3000 or better:

Adaptive QoS keeps level of hardware NAT acceleration enabled and can do higher than CPU limit speeds. You perhaps don't need QoS on 500/20 ISP.

This RT-AX57 router in particular is one of the cheapest possible AX-class routers and according to listed specifications it doesn't have Adaptive QoS.

Adaptive QoS keeps level of hardware NAT acceleration enabled and can do higher than CPU limit speeds. You perhaps don't need QoS on 500/20 ISP.
I have no problem returning and getting another one.

But yes I do. Lots of devices vying for precious upload.

I have no problem returning and getting another one.

Then do it because this entry-level router doesn't have what you are looking for.

In budget segment RT-AX3000 is perhaps the minimum. In higher end models RT-AX86U Pro is the starting point.

So that link is a ax58u?

So that link is a ax58u?

Yes, RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000 are the same router with different marketing. The current version is V2, it has the same CPU and radios as RT-AX57, but 2x RAM (256MB vs 512MB) and apparently has Adaptive QoS and AiProtection with more features. It can do 500Mbps with Adaptive QoS, but keep in mind it may not be exactly the solution to your problem. Adaptive QoS often has traffic classification issues and this is the reason why custom scripts like FlexQoS exist.

RT-AX3000 has Asuswrt-Merlin support via GNUton fork here:

If you want to test FlexQoS enhancements (of Adaptive QoS) you need this firmware.

FlexQoS is available in AMTM, included in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

If you get an RT-AX86U Pro - it can do true SQM like CakeQoS at about 400Mbps WAN-LAN speeds.

It also needs Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for this, CakeQoS is included in QoS options. The firmware files for it are here:

This is the better router model choice, but more expensive. It can do Gigabit with Adaptive QoS, also available option.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!