What's new

BE96U firmware 3.0.0.6.102_34488

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Security:
Fixed command injection vulnerability.
Fixed the ARP poisoning vulnerability. Thanks to the contribution of Xin'an Zhou.
Fixed code execution in custom OVPN. Thanks to the contrubution of Jacob Baines.
Fixed the injection vulnerability in AiCloud.
Fixed stack buffer overflow in lighttpd. Special thanks to Viktor Edstrom.
Fixed CVE-2023-35720, CVE-2023-48795, CVE-2023-41913
Fixed the code execution vulnerability in AiCloud. Thanks to the contribution of chumen77.
Fixed the XSS and Self-reflected HTML injection vulnerability. Thanks to the contrubution of Redfox Cyber Security.
Fixed code execution in custom OVPN.

New Features:
Added Multi-link Operation (MLO) network in Guest Network Pro.
Added automatic WAN/LAN detection feature.

Bug Fixes and Performance Enhancements:
Enhanced connectivity for WiFi 7 devices.
Fixed client binding issues on AiMesh nodes.
Resolved AiMesh node broadcast issues in Guest Network Pro.
Corrected Link Aggregation UI errors.
Fixed Guest Portal bugs.
Improved AiMesh system stability.
Addressed DNS errors affecting internet access for Guest Network Pro and VPN connections.
Resolved the issues of WireGuard client profile names.
Fixed dual WAN and VLAN 4094 IoT issues.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: cc2ccf96ea5b566d5b4094714f40244d42fdd29c1a6726e419c6cec4a5251767

I installed this update and half of my devices won't connect to WIFI. Some are asking for passwords and when they are entered the device still won't connect. I assume this has something to do with a change to WPA encryption as it now shows AES+GCMP256. There is no way to change this option either.

I have a mesh RT-ac68u I use as a switch(wifi off). I did try to turn the wifi on for this router and some of the devices that couldn't connect to the 96u were able to connect to that.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I installed this update and half of my devices won't connect to WIFI. Some are asking for passwords and when they are entered the device still won't connect. I assume this has something to do with a change to WPA encryption as it now shows AES+GCMP256. There is no way to change this option either.

I have a mesh RT-ac68u I use as a switch(wifi off). I did try to turn the wifi on for this router and some of the devices that couldn't connect to the 96u were able to connect to that.

Does your 2.4/5Ghz show authentication as WP2/WP3?

I have it set to use all 3 bands and the authentication is WPA2/WPA3-Personal.
You might need to factory reset...specially since they made a lot of fixes.

After update, WAN still not automatically reconnect upon reboot. Need to unplug cable for 5 second and plug it back

Did a flash without factory reset here yesterday, and everything is working well. Fast and stable. All devices (including 6GHz.) reconnected, WAN connection is fine. Do need to research MLO configuration, though, before trying to use it. But glad to see it added to the firmware. Even added for the guest networks.

Second the recommendation for doing factory reset if things don't look good. Lots of changes since last version.

You might need to factory reset...specially since they made a lot of fixes.
I tried a factory reset and it worked for a short bit then everything disconnected from WIFI. I have since tried to factory reset, downgrade to the old firmware, factory reset, upload new firmware all manually. One thing I noticed is under the smart connect rules is the 6ghz band seems to be missing details. I confirmed that with the old firmware they were there. I then tried to factory reset with the new firmware again with the same result.

ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT_BE96U_Smart_Connect_Rule.jpg

@Daedalus14 - I have seen this and just moments ago I saw a change in my connectivity after trying something. Here's my story.
I've got two BE96U. Primary upstairs. AI Meshed via 10G wired back-haul to the secondary downstairs. Woke up Thursday morning and numerous devices that are assigned static IP addresses via DHCP table were no longer able to connect to the primary. iPhones and Macbook pro along with a Trane thermostat were the first I noticed. Checked and sure enough this new firmware was installed overnight (yeah, I somehow forgot to turn off auto-updates). Both devices have the new firmware.
iPhones brought close to the secondary would connect.

I contact ASUS via live chat. In the end the best they could offer was to perform a factory reset for both.
I was just about to do this moments ago. Before that I checked once more and found your post.
Reading your mention of WPA, I did a quick check of what Apple supports. And while my 5gHz band was set to WPA2-Personal (supported by apple), I changed briefly that band to WPA2/WPS3 - Personal. Applied. Still no luck. Changed it back to WPA-Personal and what do you know.... the iPhones and MacBook reconnected immediately! No factory reset performed.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I type this. I'll check the Trane thermostat next.

Appreciate that people take the time to post about their experience. Hopefully this thread helps someone else.

@Daedalus14: I don't use smart connect here. I used it when I first started using Asus routers, but found that not using it solved several problems...like connecting 2.4GHz. only devices was easier. And I got better connectivity and speed on the separate bands without smart connect. So I hadn't noticed anything about smart connect on the new firmware. Still working well for me without smart connect, using WPA2/WPA3-Personal on 2.4GHz. and 5GHz., and WPA3-Personal on 6GHz.. I'm also not using AiMesh, don't need it here, the RT-BE96U covers my whole house well. And have "roaming assistant" off on all bands...roaming assistant has caused me problems as well in the past. Just don't need it.

Last edited:

Same issue for me. I have a newer Amazon FireTV and a Fire Tablet that just won't authenticate anymore when wifi 7 is enabled. It seems to be that new encryption setting that breaks it. When I disabled wifi 7, it reverts to just AES and everything connects fine. Hopefully they can release a bug fix soon that fixes this issue. I have 2 wifi 7 devices, but will continue to stick to just wifi 6e for now sadly.

The problem if i stay 20/40/80. Everything is working fine, but as soon as i add 160, no devices see the 5Gz at all. Even iphone 15Pro.

How long are you waiting to see the 5GHz network?

May I see some proof for this claim?
I can back this up. I can get 1300Mbps down on my iPhone 15 Pro. I don't have 160Mhz enabled to get a screenshot at the moment, but it is the only device I have that gets a boost from 160Mhz. Hence why I don't bother enabling it with DFS channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online