What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated beta 2 on my 86U on top of beta 1. The update went smoothly. Beta 2 seems to be faster than previous although I have no quantitavite proof of that. Just a feeling. Still, here's a couple of things I've noticed so far:
1. beta 2 is back to adding the increasing file ICO size in /jffs/usericon. When it found it, I deleted both the ICO and LOG files from that directory, rebooted, and both were back again. Then I deleted just the ICO file but kept the LOG file, then reboot. Now that directory contains 2 LOG files but no ICO file. That's OK if it stays like that over subsequent reboots. But I will need to look after a reboot to ensure the increasing ICO file does not show up again.
2. In the VPN client, if it is enabled but then I disable it, then reboot, it comes back up enabled. Yes the setting is set to enable on a reboot, but I recall in previous versions, once disabled, on a reboot it came back disabled.
3. I always have trouble with getting to the Pinterest website. I need to either disable the VPN or put an exception in the VPN list to go to the WAN for their IP address. That worked in previous versions of Merlin but in beta 2, it is a no go. The exception does not work. Did something change in that area compared to beta 1?
4. BTW, if I do set an exception, it seems that in beta 2 that I then need to do a reboot for the exception to take. I do not recall in beta 1 or before that I needed to do the reboot, that setting it caused it work immediately.

Thank you for your answer
but, after i see this problem i have made a Factory restore and i have the same problem...
I can't add openvpn config or add DHCP clients...
the beta 1 work fine
maybe a probem with my version of Firefox... i didn't make test with other browser?

I am the only one to have this problem?

Works for me with my RT-AC88U and Firefox. Open your browser console, and look for any Javascript error. Almost nothing was changed between beta 1 and beta 2.

2. In the VPN client, if it is enabled but then I disable it, then reboot, it comes back up enabled. Yes the setting is set to enable on a reboot, but I recall in previous versions, once disabled, on a reboot it came back disabled.

This is working as intended, and if it ever worked differently then it was a bug at the time.

3. I always have trouble with getting to the Pinterest website. I need to either disable the VPN or put an exception in the VPN list to go to the WAN for their IP address. That worked in previous versions of Merlin but in beta 2, it is a no go. The exception does not work. Did something change in that area compared to beta 1?

Nothing was changed related to OpenVPN or routing (see the complete change list I posted with the beta 2 announcement). The most likely reason would be the Pinterest IP might be different than what you configured. Keep in mind that your DNS servers might be different when using the VPN, which means resolved IPs can also be different.

4. BTW, if I do set an exception, it seems that in beta 2 that I then need to do a reboot for the exception to take. I do not recall in beta 1 or before that I needed to do the reboot, that setting it caused it work immediately.

Nothing changed there for months. Works for me, I just configured a tunnel with all traffic sent through the tunnel, whatismyip returns the IP tunnel. Added an exception rule for the whatismyip server, clicked on apply, and now that computer returns my ISP IP.

There is still a problem with the French GUI in admin-system tab
Weird settings like ** Power Saving* (Economie energie) and others stuff.DST time setting is broken also , only in french ( Edge , firefox)
I am at work , ill post pics later

Just upgraded to 384.8 beta 2, dirty upgrade and it’s running great so far.
Not tried openVPN yet but will later.

Attachments

• 3DD80B37-E997-4BDE-9F4F-B2AD06BFF95B.png
    3DD80B37-E997-4BDE-9F4F-B2AD06BFF95B.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 417
There is still a problem with the French GUI in admin-system tab
Weird settings like ** Power Saving* (Economie energie) and others stuff.DST time setting is broken also , only in french ( Edge , firefox)
I am at work , ill post pics later
Sorry if this is not the first time I report a problem of UI with French .The JS console does not report any revelant problems this time.
Flush the browsers cache = done
There we go, sorry for the quality :)

Attachments

• capture d’écran.png
    capture d’écran.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Sorry if this is not the first time I report a problem of UI with French .The JS console does not report any revelant problems this time.
Flush the browsers cache = done
There we go, sorry for the quality :)
No worries... Éric speaks french but may be using the english UI as sometimes french is badly translated. I do that myself sometimes but I also support french because that's also my native language so I help when I can.

That screenshot show more english than french! :) Enable, Allow, etc.

Last edited:
That screenshot show more english than french! :) Enable, Allow, etc.
There are 2 settings not present with english UI, they only appears in french, both with the marks in my screenshots. They also look differents.

Attachments

• capture d’écran2.png
    capture d’écran2.png
    329 KB · Views: 464
  • capture d’écran.png
    capture d’écran.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
No worries... Éric speaks french but may be using the english UI as sometimes french is badly translated. I do that myself sometimes but I also support french because that's also my native language so I help when I can.

I run all my software in English, because 90% of French translations are complete garbage (including Microsoft's own).

I'm tired of fixing Asus's untested language files. Please report issues to them, so maybe eventually they will start hiring native speakers to handle translation and testing them... I've already pointed out at them numerous times that even their English translations are looking flat out amateurish at times. They've improved over time (no more "You have been logined out" for instance), but it's still very poor compared to Netgear/TP-Link/DLink.

This is an Asus-wide issue, not specific to their networking division. Asus has constantly the poorest translations of all the big manufacturers. Motherboard BIOS strings are obviously translated by native Chinese rather than native English speakers. You have to get creative to figure out what they are trying to explain in some cases.

Bottom line, translations should ALWAYS be done by native speakers, not by someone who has it as their second language.

There are 2 settings not present with english UI, they only appears in french, both with the marks in my screenshots. They also look differents.

These appear because of broken Javascript, the page never finalizes setting up settings that are visible or hidden.

I’ve had openVPN running for the last few hours on my Ac68u, the down load speed is definitely higher than previous times I’ve used it, current dl of 23mb/s and ul 17mb/s . Previously I got dl 17mb/s and ul 13 mb/s.
I believe the speeds are about maximum for the router and my connection.
Traffic is definitely running better to and I’m really pleased I no longer have to use my VPN suppliers app.
Nice work Eric and FreshJR :)

Hello

After having an AC-66u, AC-68u, ac-87u, ac-88u I just purchased an AX-88U.

Everything works perfect with the latest firmware except the "VPN Server 2" (VPN Server 1 OK) when starting the service gives error
"Error starting the OpenVPN server daemon.
Check the device's environment or content on the Advanced Settings page. "
There is nothing relevant in the log, only "
Nov 25 20:15:42 rc_service: httpd 1240: notify_rc stop_vpnserver2
Nov 25 20:16:08 rc_service: httpd 1240: notify_rc stop_vpnserver2; clearvpnserver2
Nov 25 20:16:08 openvpn: Resetting server (unit 2) to default settings
Nov 25 20:16:37 rc_service: httpd 1240: notify_rc restart_chpass; restart_vpnserver2
Nov 25 20:16:37 kernel: device tun22 entered promiscuous mode
Nov 25 20:16:38 init: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1440: Starting VPN instance failed ... "

I have tried to load the OpenVPN defaults and keep giving the same errors.

I'm using beta2

Some help?

Thank you

Attachments

• Captura22.JPG
    Captura22.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 387
Hello

After having an AC-66u, AC-68u, ac-87u, ac-88u I just purchased an AX-88U.

Everything works perfect with the latest firmware except the "VPN Server 2" (VPN Server 1 OK) when starting the service gives error
"Error starting the OpenVPN server daemon.
Check the device's environment or content on the Advanced Settings page. "
There is nothing relevant in the log, only "
Nov 25 20:15:42 rc_service: httpd 1240: notify_rc stop_vpnserver2
Nov 25 20:16:08 rc_service: httpd 1240: notify_rc stop_vpnserver2; clearvpnserver2
Nov 25 20:16:08 openvpn: Resetting server (unit 2) to default settings
Nov 25 20:16:37 rc_service: httpd 1240: notify_rc restart_chpass; restart_vpnserver2
Nov 25 20:16:37 kernel: device tun22 entered promiscuous mode
Nov 25 20:16:38 init: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1440: Starting VPN instance failed ... "

I have tried to load the OpenVPN defaults and keep giving the same errors.

I'm using beta2

Some help?

Thank you
There’s another post on this thread regarding the same issue, you may want to read back a little.

Works for me with my RT-AC88U and Firefox. Open your browser console, and look for any Javascript error. Almost nothing was changed between beta 1 and beta 2.

In fact my "problem" in Beta2 is the same like Sanna1967
Only in the french language... In English it's OK
and in beta1 it's ok in french.
Now i use beta2 in english and evreything look fine.
Thanks a lot for all your good job.

Brand new 86U in operation now running 384.8 beta2 here (as of Noon PST).

So far so good...

Using all of Trend Micro* stuff, DNS filtering, QOS.
*Already got a hit attempt on my webserver right after going "live".

AiProtection - Two-Way IPS
Details of a Successfully Protected Event
WEB Microsoft IIS WebDAV ScStoragePathFromUrl Buffer Overflow -1 (CVE-2017-7269)
Severity Level: High
Source: 118.89.222.***

Really had no issues with the 68U running 380.59 (but need to place some Linksys DD-WRT Repeater Bridges here) since I got it few years back except when I enabled Traffic Analyzer - Statistic 'recently/a couple months ago' to compare to what Comcast reports to me for usage. After a couple days, some wonky things happen trying to get client list and most Traffic Stats.

Last edited:
RT-AC3100 Dirty upgrade from V384.8 Beta 1 to V384.8 Beta 2, everything running smoothly.....

Running Beta_2

Pixel 2 seems to be dropping and reconnecting alot more frequently. Seems to have an X through the wi-fi icon too.

Is there anything i can do here to debug/help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!