What's new

Bricked RT-N66U? (I've searched alot..)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

o-l-a-v

Regular Contributor
Bricked RT-N66U? (I've searched google&snb already)

Hi guys!

I had my RT-N66U sat up with tomato and everything. Then i wanted to flash the newest asus firmware, because of support of using it as repeater.

So i started the router directly to restoration mode, fired up the asus restoration tool, and started to upload latest firmware.

I did not upload the zip, i unpacked using 7-zip. I also ran the tool as admin. Turned of all wireless connections. No other connections to the router other than my PC through LAN 1. Not WAN.
After it's supposed to be finished doing the restoration, the tool says "can't connect to the router". F*ck..

So I try to set the router to restoration mode again. Same thing happen. I get to upload the firmware, but after the tool is finished with restoring progress, it says it cannot connect to the router.

I try to set a static ipadress
gateway: 192.168.1.1
ip: 192.168.1.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
No difference.

When i try to access "192.168.1.1" through my web browser. "No connection available".
I try to ping it. Success
I try to access it through telnet (putty): Connection refused.

When i power on the router normally, only power lamp constantly on. No ipadress is given to my computer.
When i power on the router holding wps, after releasing it after 30sec, power and 2.4ghz lamp is on. But i can't see any wireless connections.
When i enter restoration mode, same things happen. Tool finds it, uploads successfully, the percentage bar telling me status of restoration progress gets to 99%, then "failed, can't connect to router".

What to do guys?
I checked before i flashed tomato that i had latest CFE version. (using asuswrt-merlin).

Last edited:
Screenpics of progress. Asus original firmware won't finish upload.
Tried DD-WRT mini instead.
Final screen says "check if power LED blinks". Well, it does not, it stops blinking when the uploading part starts..

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    43 KB · Views: 251
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 509
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 289
How long did you wait after the restoration was complete ?
I have the experience that you should wait for at least 15 minutes after the restoration is complete.

Hi guys!

I had my RT-N66U sat up with tomato and everything. Then i wanted to flash the newest asus firmware, because of support of using it as repeater.

So i started the router directly to restoration mode, fired up the asus restoration tool, and started to upload latest firmware.

I did not upload the zip, i unpacked using 7-zip. I also ran the tool as admin. Turned of all wireless connections. No other connections to the router other than my PC through LAN 1. Not WAN.
After it's supposed to be finished doing the restoration, the tool says "can't connect to the router". F*ck..

So I try to set the router to restoration mode again. Same thing happen. I get to upload the firmware, but after the tool is finished with restoring progress, it says it cannot connect to the router.

I try to set a static ipadress
gateway: 192.168.1.1
ip: 192.168.1.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
No difference.

When i try to access "192.168.1.1" through my web browser. "No connection available".
I try to ping it. Success
I try to access it through telnet (putty): Connection refused.

When i power on the router normally, only power lamp constantly on. No ipadress is given to my computer.
When i power on the router holding wps, after releasing it after 30sec, power and 2.4ghz lamp is on. But i can't see any wireless connections.
When i enter restoration mode, same things happen. Tool finds it, uploads successfully, the percentage bar telling me status of restoration progress gets to 99%, then "failed, can't connect to router".

What to do guys?
I checked before i flashed tomato that i had latest CFE version. (using asuswrt-merlin).

You mean that i should wait 15 minutes, even if i get the error at the end?
I think it just stops reacting at the very moment the tool starts uploading. The power LED stays on (sometimes off) even past the error at the end.
Edit: About the lamp. Seems like if its off at the moment it connects with the restoration program, it stays off. And vice versa

Last edited:
Hi,
If you do a 30-30-30 reset(old unecessay habit, but..), what is the power light status, does it blink or just solid on and looking at you? If light blinks it is waiting for f/w. Hit
it with TFTP with your f/w to load. Actually tftp will take less thana minute. Go for a cup of coffee for 30 mins. just to be on safe side. And come back, if TFTP wporked, turn it off/on.

Hi,
If you do a 30-30-30 reset(old unecessay habit, but..), what is the power light status, does it blink or just solid on and looking at you? If light blinks it is waiting for f/w. Hit
it with TFTP with your f/w to load. Actually tftp will take less thana minute. Go for a cup of coffee for 30 mins. just to be on safe side. And come back, if TFTP wporked, turn it off/on.

Never TFTP'd before. Could you tell me in short how to do it?
Read lot's of different stuff regarding 30/30/30 on RT-N66U.
How is it done? (Don't want to f*ck it up :) )

Edit: Powered on the router, normal way. Pressed restoration button (i don't think there is a reset?) for 30s, power off + same button 30s, power on same button 30s. Power light status is constant power LED and constant LAN1 (im connected to it) LED

Edit2: Took the router in recovery mode. It answers to "ping 192.168.1.1".
Tried "TFTP 192.168.1.1 put C:\users\Olav\Desktop\Asus\FW_RT-N66U-3004374720.trx"
It said "Transfer successfull: 11 bytes in 1 second(s), 11 bytes/s".

Well, the file is much bigger than that... Is it bricked then? I don't see any other ways of doing it, seems like it block everything trying to access it. Both restoration tool, telnet, and tftp..

Last edited: