What's new

DFS - Wireless Log - What does "Time elapsed" mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lexicon44

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm running Merlin 3004.388.7 on an RT-AX88U Pro. Under System Log --> Wirless Log, I see "DFS State: In-Service Monitoring (ISM)" and "Channel cleared for radar: 104/80". I'm wondering what "Time elapsed" means.

I saw others post screenshots where their time elapsed is measured in hours. Mine rarely makes it beyond 15 minutes, and often resets after a few seconds.

Does this mean that radar was detected? If so, I would expect the channel to switch, but it doesn't and I never notice any interruption to my WiFi connection.

Or is this the time since the last scan for radar, in which case why doesn't it happen with a regular cadence, and why would others have it happens after multiple hours.

Is your bandwidth set to 20/40/80/160?

The elapsed time is reset every time the chanspec (channel/bandwidth) changes. So with the bandwidth set as above, and with no 160MHz capable devices connected the chanspec will be 104/80. As soon as a 160MHz capable device connects it will change to 104/160. When that device disconnects it will change back to 104/80.

Also, if you have the channel set to Auto and have lots of nearby access points using all the channels that might also cause the router to move to a "better" channel.

Last edited:
In that case, the plot thickens.

My control channel is set to auto with DFS channels included. The channel does change on occasion, but I would say maybe once per week? It definitely doesn't correspond to the time elapsed timer resetting.

My bandwidth is set to 20/40/80 MHz with 160 MHz disabled.

If I watch the Wireless Log page, the elapsed time parameter changes and resets. None of the other parameters change, including channel and bandwidth. Weird?

Last edited:
This used to happen to me when I used the auto channel option. In my case, I had the router set to "Auto" channel with DFS channel selection enabled and I did not use 160 MHz, like in your case. I found that the timer resetting had no actual effect on my router's wireless performance and I always assumed it was either a bug with the wireless drivers, or it had something to do with the router's automatic channel selection (despite my router never changing channels from the channel it initially selected).

When I started to manually select the channel (100/80), the time elapsed counter stopped resetting. The only time I ever saw it reset after that was when it detected radar once and moved to a non-DFS channel.