What's new

Does it make sense to change my modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
My modem is ISP provided and can be changed on request. For now, it is a DOCSYS3.0 HGW with built-in router and wifi. This means my pfSense router is connected to one of the 4 LAN ports of the HGW and the WAN IP on pfSense is a LAN IP from the HGW which means in essence double NAT. The HGW wifi is completely switched off as i have my own AP's. To date, everything works perfectly fine.

However, this week i found out that my ISP now also offers a DOCSYS3.1 modem without wifi and with bridging capability which would enable me to bring my public IP directly to my pfSense box which would simply things and also eliminate double NAT. Also, i read DOCSYS3.1 can support higher speeds so maybe it will bring my 1Gbps line from 900-something to 1Gpbs.

Questions to the audience, would it be worth the hassle? There is no cost involved. Only me requesting the new modem, replace the current one and send it back.

Appreciate the insights.

Pass through is ideal if hosting or VPN back to your stuff.

Speed won't change if you don't have ge+ port to plug it into.

Pass through is ideal if hosting or VPN back to your stuff.
I do run a Nextcloud instance with its own FQDN with certs and a proxy.

Then go ahead and swap the modem since you're paying the monthly fee. Otherwise buy your own and recoup the money in under a year.

The only real question though would be if you can saturate the bandwidth to make it worthwhile to have a high bandwidth plan.

Then go ahead and swap the modem since you're paying the monthly fee. Otherwise buy your own and recoup the money in under a year.

The only real question though would be if you can saturate the bandwidth to make it worthwhile to have a high bandwidth plan.

The thing is, my ISP doesn't allow you to buy your own, otherwise i would have done that a long time ago already

With regards to bandwidth, the whole idea is to not saturate it. With the whole family streaming all the time, i don't think 1Gbps is luxury anymore these days.

If everything you need is currently working fine - why bother?

Good question. The double NAT has been bothering me for quite some time now. And not that i need it right now, it also makes IPv6 setup pretty complicated.

My modem is ISP provided and can be changed on request. For now, it is a DOCSYS3.0 HGW with built-in router and wifi. This means my pfSense router is connected to one of the 4 LAN ports of the HGW and the WAN IP on pfSense is a LAN IP from the HGW which means in essence double NAT. The HGW wifi is completely switched off as i have my own AP's. To date, everything works perfectly fine.

However, this week i found out that my ISP now also offers a DOCSYS3.1 modem without wifi and with bridging capability which would enable me to bring my public IP directly to my pfSense box which would simply things and also eliminate double NAT. Also, i read DOCSYS3.1 can support higher speeds so maybe it will bring my 1Gbps line from 900-something to 1Gpbs.

Questions to the audience, would it be worth the hassle? There is no cost involved. Only me requesting the new modem, replace the current one and send it back.

Appreciate the insights.
I recommend you ask for an outside IP address on your Pfsense router and run the modem with pass through. That is what I do. I do own my own modem. I believe you can have higher bandwidth on DOCSYS3.1 as it has more channels. There is less chance of congestion with more channels.
You do not want double NAT.