What's new

GT-AX11000 or RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edwoodjnr

New Around Here
Hi, I am a new member and am looking for some advice.

I have bought a GT-AX11000 and have had it for a couple of weeks.

The Wi-fi range is ok in my house (ground floor and 1st floor) but have had a weak signal in my living room at the furthest distance from the router.

I bought an RT-86U placed in the living room and use AiMesh that is now giving me a good 5 bar range but have signal loss occasionally upstairs where the GT router is located.

Do you think I should keep the GT router or maybe switch to a RT-AC5300 or something else?

Thanks

The Wi-fi range is ok in my house (ground floor and 1st floor) but have had a weak signal in my living room at the furthest distance from the router.

I bought an RT-86U placed in the living room and use AiMesh that is now giving me a good 5 bar range but have signal loss occasionally upstairs where the GT router is located.

Do you think I should keep the GT router or maybe switch to a RT-AC5300 or something else?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums. :)

The direct answer to your question is nothing anyone can tell you with any guaranteed certainty.

I can tell you that the GT-AX11000 is not supported by RMerlin or many script developers either, if that is a possible path you may want to pursue, in the near future.

Others may be able to help you get the AiMesh working better, possibly by adjusting levels, etc..

However, I would recommend against using it and instead use your second router in AP mode. Do you have an Ethernet cable in or near the room where the RT-AC86U is being used?

How big is the area you're covering in square feet? How easy is it to move your main router to a more centrally located position within that coverage area?

I'm a little confused by your terminology, isn't ground floor the first floor? Or are you covering a second floor too? :)

From all indications on this forum, the GT-AX11000 has the best range and throughput of all routers available today. AiMesh is hit and miss though. The RT-AC5300 won't offer anything more in those regards.

With all the above said, the RT-AC86U may very well be all the router you need for your needs. If it can be optimally located.

Even if just temporarily, disable the WiFi on the GT-AX11000 and run a cable to the RT-AC86U's WAN port and place it in the center of the area that needs coverage.

If it works, then you may not need either the GT-AX11000 or the RT-AC5300.

Note that the RT-AC86U is more powerful than the RT-AC5300 too. :)

Thanks
I can tell you I have both. one is good for what it does with merlin + the other is good for what is does as a router. it depends on what features you want, and how you want to use it.
if you are not hardwired back up,
I would recommend you invest in a moca bonded 2.0 adapter which can then carry your ethernet via coxail to the GT router from the RT router.
then if you are using AImesh you could select ethernet Priority and you will get an awesome speed and coverage all in one.

I also recommend you using your stronger GT router as the main and the RT as the upstairs.
or vice versa if that is how you have it.

https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/hla4205/
https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

These are probably the two top consumer moca adapters on the market.
do some research and decide what is best for you.

Actiontec is probably the better route, they usually are nice with what they supply the consumer with -- special moca splitters. This is an example of the extra stuff they supply you with : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P6VHLP0/?tag=snbforums-20

Aside from the kit, you may have to invest in a cheap PoE filter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DC8IEE6/?tag=snbforums-20

This keeps your stuff attenuated and from leaking out to the rest of the world, you would place this on the outside of the house where cable is fed to you from the outside, or you can also use it to divide your moca network from the rest of the cable inside the house for better attenuation.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!