What's new

Solved GT-AX6000 2.5G LAN Port - only negotiating at 1G on switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shabbs

Very Senior Member
EDIT: This issue has been "solved" and I use that term lightly as it was never an issue. I was mis-reading the cable connections causing me to incorrectly think an actual 1G connection was my 2.5G connection. Lesson learned - LABEL BOTH ENDS OF YOUR ETHERNET AND DOCUMENT PORTS THEY ARE CONNECTED TO!!!

See post here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/g...ting-at-1g-on-switch.89681/page-2#post-902865

Made an interesting observation this weekend with my home networking setup. Looking for some help from team here. Have also had some back and forth with @visortgw on this in the past.

Observation: GT-AX6000 2.5G LAN Port only negotiating at 1G speed on my 2.5G switch.

Gear in question:
- Router: GT-AX6000
- All APs: RT-AX86Us
- Switch (2.5G unmanaged): TP-Link TL-SG108-M2
- Everything running Merlin 3004.388.7_alpha2-g90b483050e

In an effort to take advantage of the 2.5G connections and 2 Gig internet speeds... I have made use of the 2.5G LAN port on the GT-AX6000 and connected it to a 2.5G switch. The 2.5G WAN port on the GT-AX6000 is connected to my Rogers Ignite modem and regularly get 2Gbps download speeds. No issues on the WAN side.

All my APs are hardwired back to the TP-Link 2.5G switch from their 2.5G ports. Those all show as "green" and "OK" in the Merlin GUI. The 2.5G switch all shows them as connected at 2.5G speeds. 2.5G lights are active.

The hiccup I noticed was that the connection from the GT-AX6000 2.5G LAN port to the 2.5G switch was only showing as 1G speed on the switch - based on the port lights.

This was a bit of a surprise. Merlin GUI shows the 2.5G LAN port as connected at 2.5G (see below). Router config also confirms speeds are set at 2500 for the ports. Yet the 2.5G switch only shows a 1G speed negotiated. Speed tests directly from my APs also confirm a max of ~1000Mbps throughput suggesting that the LAN connection to the Router is indeed operating at 1G speed.

I have tried two different 2.5G switches (D-Link and TP-Link) and confirmed the same behaviour. I have also tried different cables from the Router to the switches as well as every port on the switches. Only the AP connections get the 2.5G lights on the switches. The Router 2.5G LAN connection is always at 1G. Both 2.5G switches I've tried are unmanaged so I can't see what's happening on the actual switch.

The thought of going to a managed 2.5G switch just to see what's going on is swirling around in my head but man that is a hella pricy guess to make. LOL!

Router Ethernet Ports:

1713187064127.png

Speed config from the Router:

1713187113519.png

Any ideas from the crew here? Anything I've missed?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You can probably see the negotiated link speed when you plug your switch into eth5 in the router's syslog.

Made an interesting observation this weekend with my home networking setup. Looking for some help from team here. Have also had some back and forth with @visortgw on this in the past.

Observation: GT-AX6000 2.5G LAN Port only negotiating at 1G speed on my 2.5G switch.

Gear in question:
- Router: GT-AX6000
- All APs: RT-AX86Us
- Switch (2.5G unmanaged): TP-Link TL-SG108-M2
- Everything running Merlin 3004.388.7_alpha2-g90b483050e

In an effort to take advantage of the 2.5G connections and 2 Gig internet speeds... I have made use of the 2.5G LAN port on the GT-AX6000 and connected it to a 2.5G switch. The 2.5G WAN port on the GT-AX6000 is connected to my Rogers Ignite modem and regularly get 2Gbps download speeds. No issues on the WAN side.

All my APs are hardwired back to the TP-Link 2.5G switch from their 2.5G ports. Those all show as "green" and "OK" in the Merlin GUI. The 2.5G switch all shows them as connected at 2.5G speeds. 2.5G lights are active.

The hiccup I noticed was that the connection from the GT-AX6000 2.5G LAN port to the 2.5G switch was only showing as 1G speed on the switch - based on the port lights.

This was a bit of a surprise. Merlin GUI shows the 2.5G LAN port as connected at 2.5G (see below). Router config also confirms speeds are set at 2500 for the ports. Yet the 2.5G switch only shows a 1G speed negotiated. Speed tests directly from my APs also confirm a max of ~1000Mbps throughput suggesting that the LAN connection to the Router is indeed operating at 1G speed.

I have tried two different 2.5G switches (D-Link and TP-Link) and confirmed the same behaviour. I have also tried different cables from the Router to the switches as well as every port on the switches. Only the AP connections get the 2.5G lights on the switches. The Router 2.5G LAN connection is always at 1G. Both 2.5G switches I've tried are unmanaged so I can't see what's happening on the actual switch.

The thought of going to a managed 2.5G switch just to see what's going on is swirling around in my head but man that is a hella pricy guess to make. LOL!

Router Ethernet Ports:

View attachment 57959

Speed config from the Router:

View attachment 57960

Any ideas from the crew here? Anythign I've missed?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers.
What cable type and distance between the two?

BTW, the tp-link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 managed switch is great bang for the buck.

What cable type and distance between the two?

BTW, the tp-link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 managed switch is great bang for the buck.

Between the Router and the Switch is a Monoprice Cat7 cable, 10 feet. Both devices are in my office.

Yeah, I've looked at the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 but at nearly $500 that's a pricey pill to take. I supposed I could try it and return it.

You can probably see the negotiated link speed when you plug your switch into eth5 in the router's syslog.
It does show up when it goes from off-line to on-line and indicates 2500 as the speed in the syslog - will share a snippet if I can dig it up later.

All signs on the router point to a 2.5G negotiated speed for that LAN port... it's only the switches that say otherwise which is weird.

It does show up when it goes from off-line to on-line and indicates 2500 as the speed in the syslog - will share a snippet if I can dig it up later.

All signs on the router point to a 2.5G negotiated speed for that LAN port... it's only the switches that say otherwise which is weird.
I have the similar TP-Link TL-SG105-M2 (5- vs 8-port) unmanaged switch between the router's 2.5 Gbps LAN port and the managed switch to give me additional 2.5 Gbps ports in the same cabinet as the router. I have no issues with negotiated speeds. I also use a TL-SG108-M2 in my office connected to my GT-AXE16000, Synology NASs, etc. I have 10 Gbps connection from GT-AXE16000 back to managed switch over Cat6 through wall jack and patch panel.

Don't use the Cat7 cable to test with. Use a quality Cat5e instead.

I have the similar TP-Link TL-SG105-M2 (5- vs 8-port) unmanaged switch between the router's 2.5 Gbps LAN port and the managed switch to give me additional 2.5 Gbps ports in the same cabinet as the router. I have no issues with negotiated speeds. I also use a TL-SG108-M2 in my office connected to my GT-AXE16000, Synology NASs, etc. I have 10 Gbps connection from GT-AXE16000 back to managed switch over Cat6 through wall jack and patch panel.
When you say between, do you mean you go Router --> Unmanaged switch --> Managed switch?

Do you see the 2.5G light on the unmanaged switch port that goes to your router's 2.5G LAN port?

Wondering if this could this be a "defective" 2.5G LAN port on my GT-AX6000...

Don't use the Cat7 cable to test with. Use a quality Cat5e instead.
Yeah I should have one around I can test with. I can check with Cat 5e and Cat6 for completeness.

Would the Cat7 throw this off? Any reason?

Many reasons. Low quality being one (for both cables, twisting, connectors, ends used.

Yeah I should have one around I can test with. I can check with Cat 5e and Cat6 for completeness.

Would the Cat7 throw this off? Any reason?
IMO, no. I use Cat7 patch cables.

Not seeing the issues you're having. Admittedly I'm "limited" to Gigabit speed from my ISP.
I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 V 2.0R 2.5 Gbps switch connected to the LAN side port which connects just fine at 2.5 Gbps.
I "only" have standard Cat 6 or Cat 6A cabling (all the cables in the walls). 2.5 Gbps works fine over Cat 5e anyhow.

1713191416324.png

1713191991366.png

Last edited:
With almost everything else tested for, the cables are the only thing left.

@shabbs, you did try doing an electrical reset on the switches, correct?

Not seeing the issues you're having. I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 V 2.0R 2.5 Gbps switch connected to the LAN side port.

View attachment 57968
Yeah I see that too from the router - issue is that the switch is reporting only 1Gig. Router says everything looks good at 2.5G.

What model switch are you using in your mix? Can you confirm you see 2.5G port lights active on it for the 2.5G LAN connection?

When you say between, do you mean you go Router --> Unmanaged switch --> Managed switch?

Do you see the 2.5G light on the unmanaged switch port that goes to your router's 2.5G LAN port?

Wondering if this could this be a "defective" 2.5G LAN port on my GT-AX6000...
Yes! I have modem and managed switch in basement with adjacent patch panel.
  • Output of modem patched to living room (directly above on first floor) to GT-AX6000 2.5 Gbps WAN port
  • Output of GT-AX6000 2.5Gbps LAN port to TL-SG108-M2 8-port unmanaged switch (correction from above)
  • Another port of TL-SG108-M2 patched back down to basement as input to TL-SG3210XHP-M2 managed switch
2.5 Gbps lights (green as opposed to orange) lit on both input and output of unmanaged switch as well as on input to managed switch.

20240415_102342_resized.jpg

Yeah I see that too from the router - issue is that the switch is reporting only 1Gig. Router says everything looks good at 2.5G.

What model switch are you using in your mix? Can you confirm you see 2.5G port lights active on it for the 2.5G LAN connection?
Updated with a snap of the switch.

Not seeing the issues you're having. Admittedly I'm "limited" to Gigabit speed from my ISP.
I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 V 2.0R 2.5 Gbps switch connected to the LAN side port which connects just fine at 2.5 Gbps.
I "only" have standard Cat 6 or Cat 6A cabling (all the cables in the walls). 2.5 Gbps works fine over Cat 5e anyhow.

View attachment 57968
View attachment 57971
Caution with TRENDnet switch: Does not support forwarding VLAN tages required for pushing out guest network 1 to AiMesh nodes. tp-link switches do!

2.5 Gbps lights (green as opposed to orange) lit on both input and output of unmanaged switch as well as on input to managed switch.
Keep in mind, green can be for 2.5G and 1G on that switch - this is what threw me off at the start and why I missed it initially. Each port has lights on the top left and top right.

The one that is lit up indicates the speed on the switch that is negotiated - top left green light is 2.5G, top right green light is 1G. On mine, the connection coming from the router always only gets a top right green light. All other connections coming from the APs are top left green.

1713192963044.png

Caution with TRENDnet switch: Does not support forwarding VLAN tages required for pushing out guest network 1 to AiMesh nodes. tp-link switches do!
I don't use that, so it doesn't affect me. Also, this is version 2.0 of the switch, so they might've fixed that issue.

Keep in mind, green can be for 2.5G and 1G on that switch - this is what threw me off at the start and why I missed it initially. Each port has lights on the top left and top right.

The one that is lit up indicates the speed on the switch that is negotiated - top left green light is 2.5G, top right green light is 1G. On mine, the connection coming from the router always only gets a top right green light. All other connections coming from the APs are top left green.

View attachment 57972
Top left are green on both input to and output from unmanaged switch.