What's new

2.5g LAN port stuck at 1g?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi i have a Asus RT-AX86U router. I get over 1g from my modem infact soon to be near 2.4g. Question is with all the correct cat cable plugged in i can not download more than 1g from the 2.5g port. If i directly plug from my pc to the modem i do get the correct speed. The Asus 2.5g port with the correct cabling cat8 is fine right why am i not getting over 1gig connection? This is all Lan ports im talking about.

please help thankyou

How exactly have you got your router connected to the modem and clients? How are you testing this?

The RT-AX86U only has one 2.5GbE port so that would need to be connected to a compatible port on your modem (and configured as the router's WAN port). The router's LAN ports are only 1GbE so to achieve more than gigabit download speeds you would have to test two or more client devices simultaneously and add the results together.

If you're using the 2.5GbE port for a LAN client then that means that you must be using the 1GbE WAN port to connect to your modem. That will limit your entire LAN to 1 gigabit.

Last edited:
How exactly have you got your router connected to the modem and clients? How are you testing this?

The RT-AX86U only has one 2.5GbE port so that would need to be connected to a compatible port on your modem (and configured as the router's WAN port). The router's LAN ports are only 1GbE so to achieve more than gigabit download speeds you would have to test two or more client devices simultaneously and add the results together.

If you're using the 2.5GbE port for a LAN client then that means that you must be using the 1GbE WAN port to connect to your modem. That will limit your entire LAN to 1 gigabit.
Forgive me im not very clued up on this subject. When i put in my cable from the modem i get full speed but when i put it into the asus and thenout of the 2.5g port plug in my pc i dont. I dont know how anyother way to explain this. Im unsure of wan im guessing thats wireless right? This is just for Lan? So are you saying the 2.5g lan port is only 1g? Ok so my question really is can i have 2.5g lan in and out on my asus router?

The "WAN" port is the blue internet port marked with a globe icon. This port is only 1Gb. By connecting this port to your modem you are limiting your download speeds to 1Gb.

Ok so my question really is can i have 2.5g lan in and out on my asus router?
For a single wired client no, because your router only has one 2.5Gb port.

Last edited:
The "WAN" port is the blue internet port marked with a globe icon. This port is only 1Gb. By connecting this port to your modem you are limiting your download speeds to 1Gb.

For a single wired client no, because your router only has one 2.5Gb port.
ahh ok thankyou that makes sense. So what is the 2.5 port used for? I think il get a new router eventually but for now il get a 2.5switch hub from the modem

ahh ok thankyou that makes sense. So what is the 2.5 port used for?
Configure it depending on your use case.

As I said in post #2, if your internet speed is greater than 1Gb you can use it as a WAN (aka internet) port. This will give your clients a combined download speed of up to 2.5Gb.

Or if you had a high speed LAN device like a NAS that has a 2.5Gb port you could connect it to that. Again, it would give multiple clients a combined throughput of up to 2.5Gb.

Theoretically a single Wi-Fi client could achieve speeds greater that 1Gb, but in reality this is unlikely.

Last edited:
Configure it depending on your use case.

As I said in post #2, if your internet speed is greater than 1Gb you can use it as a WAN (aka internet) port. This will give your clients a combined download speed of up to 2.5Gb.

Or if you had a high speed LAN device like a NAS that has a 2.5Gb port you could connect it to that. Again, it would give multiple clients a combined throughput of up to 2.5Gb.

Theoretically a single Wi-Fi client could achieve speeds greater that 1Gb, but in reality this is unlikely.
Thankyou for your patience so for me i need a new router that has dual wan/lan 2.5 ports.

I think il get a new router eventually but for now il get a 2.5switch hub from the modem
I don't see how that would help. (P.S. A switch and a hub are two different things. Hubs aren't really used anymore.)

Thankyou for your patience so for me i need a new router that has dual wan/lan 2.5 ports.
Do you mind me asking what your use case is that requires more than 1Gb to a single client. It's rare that a single client would ever need that.

I don't see how that would help. (P.S. A switch and a hub are two different things. Hubs aren't really used anymore.)

Do you mind me asking what your use case is that requires more than 1Gb to a single client. It's rare that a single client would ever need that.
Yeah i want my pc to have full access to a 2.4gb service. download speeds and bragin rights lol. If i have a 2.5gb hub i can come off the modem to the hub then directly into my pc then continue into the router for the other devices that i need plugged into that for port forwarding etc or buy a new router. Does that make sense?

If i have a 2.5gb hub i can come off the modem to the hub then directly into my pc then continue into the router for the other devices that i need plugged into that for port forwarding etc or buy a new router. Does that make sense?
That probably won't work. If your "modem" really is a modem and not a router with an integrated modem you can normally only connect a single device to it. Connecting more than one device directly (i.e. not through a router) to a modem is usually an invalid setup, but there are exceptional cases with some ISPs.

I'm assuming you mean "switch" and not "hub" as hubs were obsolete years ago.

That probably won't work. If your "modem" really is a modem and not a router with an integrated modem you can normally only connect a single device to it. Connecting more than one device directly to a modem is usually an invalid setup, but there are exceptional cases with some ISPs.

I'm assuming you mean "switch" and not "hub" as hubs were obsolete years ago.
Probably, although when i search for 2.5gb hubs it comes up with manufactures that still call it a hub and switch so maybe its not obsolete just what some people call them especially us old folks with are false teeth and walking sticks. My modem is a router too so i have a modem/router at the wall from the ISP then a cable to my gaming router which is the asus. So im thinking a hub/switch 2.5 from the ISP so i can run 2.5 to my pc and then eventually buy a new router and sell this one. the modem/router is Virgin in the uk it has multiple ports the question is just about the 2.5 port i know the router/modem works as i described. Thankyou

Last edited:
Yes it's unfortunate that some manufactures call switches hubs as they're distinctly different things.

If your modem/router is in "router mode" rather than "modem-only mode" inserting a 2.5GbE switch could work. Your PC would then be on separate network to your Asus client devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!