What's new

How does 'smart connect' work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snoopotic

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have an RT-AC88U with currently Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 (by writing this).

On wifi I have smart connect activated as I thought this sounds good when he router helps the clients to use the correct wifi.
But it seems - but this is only an assumption, that my "smart home" devices aka devices that only have 2.4ghz wifi have problems with this. Or - I have no other explanation currently - how to explain that only my 2.4 ghz devices have strange problems that they report connection problems and do not work properly. One is a Philips hue bridge and another is Logitech harmony and another is just a nonane "smart plug". The hue is sometimes not responsive in internal network (but via internet!?) and the Logitech harmony also very often can't be reached from my lan until I restart it, although the wrt reports the device is connected (via 2.4) and has an dhcp-ip.
I have no real idea but my guess is, as of 'smart connect' the router is sometimes blocking the 2.4 frequencies for that device to is can/should/shall reconnect via 5ghz. but as this device has no 5ghz adapter, this fails and maybe there s a timeout and the router opens 2.4 again... but maybe this case is repeated very often... Is my assumption correct?

Well, does someone has an Idea or can confirm what I think is happening? Is there a ways to exclude devices from "smart connect"? How would you solve that? thank you very much.

I doubt smart connect is doing it, it can only make suggestions to clients, the clients are welcome to ignore it.

More likely it down to having airtime fairness enabled. Look for threads on recommended settings in the Wireless Professional tab. Most say disable airtime fairness and make a couple of other tweaks to avoid issues you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a ways to exclude devices from "smart connect"? How would you solve that?

I used a guest WiFi set for 2.5 only. Then, things that do not like and won't work with your normal WIFi have their own SSID to connect to.
IMO it's better than changing lots of options for all devices.

Which Hue bridge do you have?

I thought they can only be connected via an Ethernet cable; not via WiFi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!