What's new

N66U vs. AC68U vs. AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smitbret

Occasional Visitor
I have been using T-Mobile's CellSpot router that I hacked and flashed back to stock AC68U. I love the AsusWRT firmware because it allows me to set the router as the NETBIOS Master Browser. So, I am stuck on Asus unless there is a different router that can be setup that way.

I dropped T-Mobile's service and they want their router back so I may have to get a new one. T-Mobile will charge me $99 if I don't return it which is actually a pretty good deal for an Asus RT-AC68U but I hate, hate, hate the upright form factor. I want one that lays flat or I can mount on the wall.

Anyway, here is the nitty gritty details. All I need out of the router is good routing ability and solid wireless N performance. I have a TP-Link Archer C7 that I can set as an AP if I need wireless AC but it's v1 of that router and it has issues with my Ooma Teleo and my Blackberry Z10. The RT-AC68U has had no problem with any devices.

Bottom line, how do these 3 routers compare for normal network routing and wireless N performance? I am not ready to drop the $$$ for any of the newer ones and I just don't need that much wireless bandwidth at this point. Is there any point to consider a Refurbished or Open Box AC87R/U? My gut says that the N66U is plenty for what I need but if general routing is greatly improved with either of the other two then I can pony up.

A cursory glance through reviews and rating would leave me to believe that routing throughput would be roughly equal between the AC68U and the AC87U with the N66U lagging a little behind. I doubt it would be noticeable with the N66U but I am the kind of guy that likes to "spring for the bigger engine".

Opinions?

Going backwards to an RT-N66U (especially for the 5GHz band + AC class performance increases) is not logical today.

Buying a buggy (for some members) RT-AC87U isn't sensible with the information we have about that model today either.

Giving T-Mobile their working perfectly for you RT-AC68U is also suspicious. Pay the $99 (or less, see if you can bargain that down) and enjoy.

Unless you're willing to spend considerably more for an RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or an RT-AC5300 with modern hardware and updated features over the RT-AC68U AC1900 class router you're used to (in addition to possible teething problems as the firmware is further tweaked over the next few months for these cutting edge models), then buying anything else than the router you're currently using is not what I would recommend.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!