What's new

Prevent client from connecting to router but allow connection to internet via access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swbrains

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus GT-AX11000 router running the latest version of the Merlin firmware, along with two TP-Link access points. I have some devices that I want to block from connecting to the router's wifi and instead force them to always connect to one of the access points, but I don't want to block them from having internet access. I just want to control which access point they connect to. On the access points, I can block a device's MAC address from connecting to that AP, and it will connect to another available access point or the router. Is there a way to do something like this in the Asus router configuration?

Thanks. I thought Wireless MAC Filter, used in Reject mode, would also block the listed devices from communicating with the internet, rather than just blocking them from connecting to the router.

are the access points connecting to the router to get to the internet or is there some magic trick I don't get ?

The access points are connected to the router which is connected to the internet. The client devices either connect to an access point or directly to the router, all of which share the same SSIDs. I want to stop a couple of client devices from connecting to the router and connect instead to an access point. In my case, I don't want to create distinct SSIDs for the access points vs. the router. I just want the router to reject their connection so they'll connect to the access points, but I don't want the router to block TCP/IP traffic between the internet and the client device after it's connected to the access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!