What's new

Replacing AC68U to maximise ISP speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevins0625

New Around Here
Hi

I currently have a asus AC68U and it works perfectly fine over the last 6-7 years with my 100mpbs ISP. Recently I upgraded my plan to 670mps and I struggle to get the maximum ISP speed on my house.

I only have one Ethernet port near my entrance of my house and that’s where I place the AC68U router. The maximum download speed is about 600mbp when I run the test near the router. However I only get about 250 mbps in the living room and 200mps in my study on the first floor.

I’m considering buying a AX86 pro route to retire the AC68 but not sure if it will actually increase the speed. I saw reviews saying that the AC and wifi 6 routers have more or less the same range as the signal strength is restricted by local regulations.

Any recommendations? Wound like to have the maximum speed on my study as that’s where my PC is located.

Thanks!

Bandwidth, also called speed incorrectly, decreases with distance and walls. It is hard to beat a good AC router like the AC68U. But the AX86U Pro is a good router and often recommended with the AX88U Pro leading the charge.
It is worth trying but your mileage may vary.

Bandwidth, also called speed incorrectly, decreases with distance and walls. It is hard to beat a good AC router like the AC68U. But the AX86U Pro is a good router and often recommended with the AX88U Pro leading the charge.
It is worth trying but your mileage may vary.

Let’s say AC68U has a 5G bandwidth of 1200mbps. It decreases to half after a wall. The maximum download speed would be 600mps.

Also let’s say AX86 pro has a 5G bandwidth of 3000mbps and it also decreases to half after a wall. The maximum download speed would be 1500mps.

Is it ok to make such assumptions to say because Wifi 6 has higher bandwidth so after the same obstruction the end device will get higher download speed?

Is it ok to make such assumptions to say because Wifi 6 has higher bandwidth so after the same obstruction the end device will get higher download speed?
No, because an equal part of the equation is the capabilities of the client. It doesn't matter that the router could theoretically do 3000Mbps if the client is still only capable of 800Mbps.

Yes, it is a safe assumption to make on a theoretical basis.

The newer routers inevitably have more throughput available to the same clients at the same distance vs. the old hardware. And, the RT-AC68U is really old.

The once king of the hill for AC routers, the RT-AC86U was easily surpassed by the entry-level RT-AX68U. And, to make a fine point on this, 2x RT-AC86Us were effectively obsolete with a single RT-AX68U (even though the customer insisted that I install two AXs for him).

There is no equation in WiFi outside of a lab to predict what will actually transpire in your environment, with your client devices, and your expectations. Testing a new router in situ is the only way.

I just upgraded from an RT-AC86U to an RT-AX86U Pro and the wifi coverage in my home has been better, which I wasn't actually expecting. My 2.4 GHz devices have been more stable as well. I doubt the range has increased significantly, but the connection speeds have been better. Not sure you'll notice a massive difference though.

I’m considering buying a AX86 pro route to retire the AC68 but not sure if it will actually increase the speed. I saw reviews saying that the AC and wifi 6 routers have more or less the same range as the signal strength is restricted by local regulations.

It's not just regulations - it's basic physics with WiFi and how radio works across range and what not...

WiFi range likely won't improve, but functionality and security will be better with a newer device.