What's new

RT-AX59U & TUF AX4200 (MediaTek Filogic 830)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mixera

Occasional Visitor
Hello, anyone got any experience with the ASUS AX-59U? I couldn't find much. I looked up some info and it's using the MediaTek MT7986A (Filogic 830) Quad-core @ 2Ghz. I was wondering how the MediaTek compares, it seems like a new chip (newer technology). I currently have an AX-58U with Broadcom tri-core @ 1.5GHz but the 5GHz radio stopped working (seems like a relatively common issue) and now I'm looking for a replacement. So any information you can share and compare about the new MediaTek and AX59U in particular would be helpful.

I bought this model for my parents a couple of weeks ago, they are quite happy with it - stable, fast, nothing to complain about. However, note that USB speeds are a bit lower than on Broadcom-based models (but maybe that's the ASUS fault). I've seen lots of good reviews about the Filogic platform in general, a decent competitor to Broadcom and Qualcomm. Looks like ASUS likes it too, since we see more and more MediaTek-based models.

Thanks for the info. I'm also considering MikroTik hAP AX2 and AX3 but although I've heard great things about MikroTik, my main priority is WiFi performance and stability and I don't know if they can match ASUS on that.

It is hard to recommend one model over another, because of completely different philosophies. I think people buy MikroTik when they need certain functions, but not speed. For example, AX3 is just an AX1800-class router (but it has one 2.5G port); on the other hand, RT-AX59U is an AX4200-class router with 160 MHz channel width support, but it only has 1G ports.

Last edited:
Thing is I’m mainly using Apple Devices and can’t get more than 600 Megabits up/down anyway due to limitations on the devices. They can’t use either 40MHz on 2.4 or 160MHz on 5GHz. And they’re all 2x2 if I remember correctly. So don’t know if I’ll see any benefit from the AX4200.

the MikroTik is a bad option compared to the ASUS?
I didn't say that. You won't see the benefit between AX1800 and AX4200.
It's hard for me to say which is better because you haven't specified any needs. I have no experience with these models with WiFi, (I can recommend Mikrotik hEX).
Remember that there is a big difference between RouterOS and Asuswrt software.

I didn't say that. You won't see the benefit between AX1800 and AX4200.
It's hard for me to say which is better because you haven't specified any needs. I have no experience with these models with WiFi, (I can recommend Mikrotik hEX).
Remember that there is a big difference between RouterOS and Asuswrt software.
I think I specified my needs but let me summarize: I want to max out the Wi-Fi performance on my Apple devices I have. Basically all of them are WiFi 6 compatible. The other priority is stability, I want to set it up and forget it. I have 3-4 devices using the network actively (iPhone, 2xMacBooks, AppleTV) and some smart home accessories but they connect on the 2.4 so I exclude them from the list. I was happy with the AX58 until the 5GHz band died which is not ideal.

Any of these devices should be fine.
If you like RouterOS, I would choose in this order: hAP ax³, RT-AX86S, hAP ax², RT-AX58U v2, RT-AX59U.

Any of these devices should be fine.
If you like RouterOS, I would choose in this order: hAP ax³, RT-AX86S, hAP ax², RT-AX58U v2, RT-AX59U.
Can you elaborate a bit more? I don’t think I have a preference on RouterOS vs ASUS WRT. Why would you choose the hAP ax3? And why put the AX59U behind the AX58U?

This is not router AX-class, this is marketing class.
I don't know what you mean, but they literally state on their site that this is AX1800 router, with 5 GHz 2x2 and 2.4GHz 2x2 (80MHz channels.), I don't see any marketing there, MikroTik often uses the cheapest solutions in terms of WiFi, and hAP ax³is not exception. I would never recommend MikroTik if the person needs speed, they just have no engineering resources to make good WiFi.
I want to max out the Wi-Fi performance on my Apple devices I have. Basically all of them are WiFi 6 compatible. The other priority is stability, I want to set it up and forget it.
In this case, go with ASUS. You will not get good WiFi with MirkoTik, and I would recommend you to select 3x3 routers over 2x2 routers even if you only have 2x2 clients, since the third antenna is used for beamforming. In this regard, RT-AX59U > RT-AX58U V2, even though it has the 3x3:2 configuration.

Why would you choose the hAP ax3?
hAP ax³ has a 2.5GbE port - might come in handy. RouterOS is likely to have long support.
And why put the AX59U behind the AX58U?
Asus mainly works with Broadcom and very little with MediaTek or Qualcomm. So I expect RT-AX59U may have long software issues.
Hardware-wise, don't expect noticeable benefits over RT-AX58U v2.

hAP ax³ has a 2.5GbE port - might come in handy.
Who needs a single 2.5GBE port on a 2x2 80MHz router in 2023? That's already obsolete configuration, you will not get more than 650-690 Mbit/s on this router regardless of the client. With RT-AX58U or RT-AX59U, a user can easily get 950 Mbit with any client with 160 MHz support.

I don't know what you mean, but they literally state on their site that this is AX1800 router, with 5 GHz 2x2 and 2.4GHz 2x2 (80MHz channels.), I don't see any marketing there
The AC 2x2 client doesn't need more. Approx. 300-400 Mbps is the maximum real speed. Show me a client that will run at 1800 or 4200 - that's marketing.;)

Who needs single 2.5GBE port on a 2x2 80MHz router in 2023?
The one who connects the NAS server to it. Or whose 1GbE ISP line might get a little faster speed...
a user can easily get 950 Mbit with any client with 160 MHz support.
Very few users have the ability and the need to actually use 160 MHz. There is no OP.

The AC 2x2 client doesn't need more. Approx. 300-400 Mbps is the maximum real speed. Show me a client that will run at 1800 or 4200 - that's marketing.;)
I actually do 600-700Mbps real speed on 5GHz WiFi 6 enabled on a 1200Mbps rated connection. Both on my iPhone and my MacBook. But don’t know if there’s any possibility of getting more out of the Apple devices.

1800 or 4200
No one says that these speeds are achievable for these routers; however, they explain the router configuration pretty good.
Or whose 1GbE ISP line might get a little faster speed...
But you still have the weakest 2x2 WiFi6 (80Mhz) possible.
Very few users have the ability and the need to actually use 160 MHz. There is no OP.
That's just not true. Any modern laptop comes with 160MHz support, that's is just not smart to choose in 2023 a 2x2 Wifi6 router with 80 MHz channel support over a 3x3 router with 160 MHz channel support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!