What's new

RT-AX86U Pro firmware - will it get 3.0.0.6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is version 3008, by the way?

1712864393948.png

Asuswrt 4.0 was 3.0.0.4, Asuswrt 5.0 was expected to be 3.0.0.6...

Start with comparing the two router's features and hardware:

The RT-AX88U Pro has slightly better hardware specifications. Honestly there is NO reason to skimp just to save $20 unless one is so cash strapped they cannot find the $20.
Or you do not like the configuration of the AX88U Pro....

What is version 3008, by the way?

View attachment 57889

Asuswrt 4.0 was 3.0.0.4, Asuswrt 5.0 was expected to be 3.0.0.6...
Yeah noticed that change (3008) as well after posting the link earlier. Seems its getting pulled from the page metadata. Looking at the code of that page there is still one entry for 3006 in the scripting. Wild speculation (probably wrong). Wonder if Asus is going to do 3006 and 3008 firmware tracks with the routers as they EOL the AC series and lower end AX routers and move to AX Pro and BE series routers (ex: Wifi 6 - 3006 and WiFi 7 - 3008).

Or you do not like the configuration of the AX88U Pro....
For some that $20 price difference may be enough to overcome their aversion to the horizontal configuration of the AX88 Pro.

The RT-AX88U Pro has slightly better hardware specifications. Honestly there is NO reason to skimp just to save $20 unless one is so cash strapped they cannot find the $20.
Unless, of course, the RT-AX88U Pro is simply not available in your market. I'm in Australia, and I can't buy an RT-AX88U Pro without importing one from overseas. Which made it a choice between the GT-AX6000, which even my kids thought would look ridiculous in our lounge room, and the RT-AX86U Pro, which, besides being a newer model, was also significantly cheaper. I have no need for an extra 2.5GB port, and the only firmware I care about is RMerlin's, so for me it was an easy choice. And in its five days of uptime so far, the RT-AX86 Pro has been faultless. I couldn't be happier with it.

If you don't need 2x 2.5GbE ports it's $20 towards false sense of futureproofing. And you have to live with much larger device as a result. If you have extra money better donate $20 for who needs it. Why donate to Asus? If you really need proper 2.5GbE network this device is in toys category. Get a proper 2.5GbE hardware instead.

Unless, of course, the RT-AX88U Pro is simply not available in your market. I'm in Australia, and I can't buy an RT-AX88U Pro without importing one from overseas. Which made it a choice between the GT-AX6000, which even my kids thought would look ridiculous in our lounge room, and the RT-AX86U Pro, which, besides being a newer model, was also significantly cheaper. I have no need for an extra 2.5GB port, and the only firmware I care about is RMerlin's, so for me it was an easy choice. And in its five days of uptime so far, the RT-AX86 Pro has been faultless. I couldn't be happier with it.
I have run the Merlin firmware on my AX86U Pro/AX86U mesh system, several times/versions, and while it works OK and has several good features, I feel the Asus firmware works a bit better for my environment. I am a bit concerned that Asus will release the 3.0.0.6 firmware for the AX86U Pro and screw things up. For that reason I keep copies of the current Merlin and Asus firmwares along with their corresponding settings file just-in-case I feel I need to go back to something that works. My guess, however, is that Asus will release another 3.0.0.4 version first.

That $20 price difference will more than make itself back when you sell the router for the next (Gen 2 WiFi 7) model worth buying.

That $20 price difference will more than make itself back when you sell the router for the next (Gen 2 WiFi 7) model worth buying.

Please stop talking nonsense it's getting old across the board. We get it. You like the AX88U Pro. There are other options for people that work just as well. So RELAX...

Not nonsense. You have a problem, not me. Answering a question, like I always do.

Not nonsense. You have a problem, not me. Answering a question, like I always do.

Yes with the same answer every time. Spend a fortune on the AX88U Pro. If everyone listened to you they would be buying a 300-500 dollar router every six months. It's not needed. Most people just want a router that is stable and works for what they need it for. There are many router besides the AX88U Pro that do just that.

You're delusional and making stuff up. I've never done that, nor recommend it to anyone.

Read with comprehension before you reply.

You're delusional and making stuff up. I've never done that, nor recommend it to anyone.

Read with comprehension before you reply.

Don't need to. You are a broken record on every thread. Your advise is uneducated and often flat out wrong. Enough said.

Right. Answers from the person who uses a better performing device as an AiMesh node than his router. I feel their credibility has gone out-the-door. I agree with @Analog-1.

When one reads with blinders on, they learn nothing new they didn't know already (i.e. nothing). And to prove it, they repeat the same old tired posts accusing others of their failings.

And, more assumptions. Which I've previously explained already.

But yes, I should update my signature...

Hows the stability on AX86U pro on latest firmware ? I tried upgrading 1.5 yrs ago from my AC86U and experienced a tons of issues with 3 diff brand new units.

My main/AP combo has been working fine since I got it installed a few weeks ago. Zero issues, but not obviously better than the AC86U main/AP combo it replaced. The primary reason for switching was to stay current on firmware, and I believe that ASUSWRT will be fully supported on the AX86U Pro. I went with the upright form factor because that's the only form factor that fits in the available spaces.

The barely better processing specs are not worth $20 more if you hate the 88's design and want 2 USB ports.

I agree, specs are not worth anything. Actual results are though. And the $20 extra for the better-balanced and better-performing hardware is worth more than the price of entry.

More than one USB port on a router is the real marketing fluff.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!