What's new

Rural Wifi router distance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daybreak

Regular Contributor
Howdy,
Out in the country, with absolutely no other wifi signals around, my Asus RT-N66U on either 2.4 band or 5 band goes a long long way. I understand the frustration which some people have in crowded 2.4 band toe stepping. Ran inSSIDer in a small town, and there were at least 30 units all jambed into the wavelength. The router is in the house and I can be anywhere around about 1,200 feet outside and have use of the signal with my laptop (Intel 4965AGN chip) Usable on the internet. The signal is strong all thru the house, upstairs, main level, and basement.:)

Asus RT-N66U
fw 108

Howdy,
Out in the country, with absolutely no other wifi signals around, my Asus RT-N66U on either 2.4 band or 5 band goes a long long way. I understand the frustration which some people have in crowded 2.4 band toe stepping. Ran inSSIDer in a small town, and there were at least 30 units all jambed into the wavelength. The router is in the house and I can be anywhere around about 1,200 feet outside and have use of the signal with my laptop (Intel 4965AGN chip) Usable on the internet. The signal is strong all thru the house, upstairs, main level, and basement.:)

Asus RT-N66U
fw 108
hi;
I have just implemented a 1200' point-to-point WiFi internet link using a RT-AC66u (1.3 Gbits/sec) on a farm. I titled my post: Point-to-point...

Hoping to gather a bunch of rural long distance WiFi folks to share experiences.
rick
Long Dx

hi;
I have just implemented a 1200' point-to-point WiFi internet link using a RT-AC66u (1.3 Gbits/sec) on a farm. I titled my post: Point-to-point...

Hoping to gather a bunch of rural long distance WiFi folks to share experiences.
rick
Long Dx
Perhaps you've got your units wrong. WiFi doesn't get to gibabits/second over the air. A gigabit WiFi router is Gbps on the ethernet wired portion, despite the misleading name of the router "Gigabit".

Indeed, with high gain antennas and line of sight, with 802.11, one can get 100Mbps or more.

Last edited:
Perhaps you've got your units wrong. WiFi doesn't get to gibabits/second over the air. A gigabit WiFi router is Gbps on the ethernet wired portion, despite the misleading name of the router "Gigabit".

Indeed, with high gain antennas and line of sight, with 802.11, one can get 100Mbps or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

Theoretically, 802.11ac, which the OP's RT-AC66u is, will enable multi-station WLAN throughput of at least 1 gigabit per second.

Not sure if any real world testing has been performed between two RT-AC66U in draft 802.11ac mode has taken place though...

1300 Mbps is the link rate you'll get from current-gen draft 11ac gear in 80 MHz mode (AC) with strong signal.

Our review used two RT-AC66U's to do the AC tests and got 126 Mbps down / 247 Mbps up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!