What's new

Static IP for AiMesh Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
pardon the ignorance,

I would like to set up an AiMesh Node with static IP in order to share an USB printer over the network. Currently, the node is in DHCP mode; while the IP address has not (or does not) change, I like to assign an IP address to it so that my internal network is a bit more organized.

I can't seem to find a way to setup the AiMesh Node with a static IP address; when pairing the node with router the IP address is assigned via DHCP. After which, we basically lose direct access to the node.

any help is very much appreciated,

Main router login---->select Lan------>select DHCP server tab------->scroll to bottom section of page
---->enable manual assignment( you need the mac address of the node and the ip address you want to use)
you can unpair the node and repair it to main router and it will give it whatever IP you placed on this list.

I was curious about this myself and thought about using Manual Assignment on the DHCP Server page, but then I noticed that whilst the AiMesh node is using DHCP it only shows as having one IP address allocated to it from the DHCP pool, yet it appears in the Wireless Log in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz sections with two different MAC addresses. So, which MAC would you assign a manual IP to?

So, which MAC would you assign a manual IP to?
Strictly speaking neither. You're not associating the node's WiFi MAC addresses, you're associating its LAN MAC address. Go to the node's Network Map / System Status page and look for the LAN MAC address (which is often the same as the 2.4 GHz address).

Strictly speaking neither. You're not associating the node's WiFi MAC addresses, you're associating its LAN MAC address. Go to the node's Network Map / System Status page and look for the LAN MAC address (which is often the same as the 2.4 GHz address).
Thanks! I hadn't spotted that. I can see this other MAC in the AiMesh node More Config and in the Asus Router App now I know.

So, I can use this MAC to assign a manual IP, even if I'm not using a wired backhaul?

Yes, you can a DHCP IP to the node router. If you look on the wireless log you should see your node and it will have an IP assigned to it. You can assign another IP to it in the DHCP server.

I assigned a manual IP to the node's main MAC this morning and then rebooted it via the app and it has now taken the manual IP and continues to operate like normal. Thought I would wait until everyone was asleep and broadband reliance at zero to do this. Looks tidier in the router admin now as well and frees up its DHCP address.

I must be doing something wrong as I cannot see my aiMesh node in my LAN client list at all.

I have the same situation. I have an RT-AX88U as my main router and an RT-AC86U as my only aiMesh node, connected with an Ethernet cable for the backhaul. all seems to be working very well but I would like to specify the ip address for my RT-AC86U node.

I have set reservations for all my other wireless and wired clients, so I know that I can do that ok, but like I say the node does not appear in the client list and therefore does not appear in the dropdown list for a DHCP reservation.

The only place I can see the nodes ip address is if I click on aimesh in the network map. I can then click on the node and see the ip address but I cannot change it.

Any ideas why my setup seems to be different to the OP's

Many thanks

EDIT: Added the MAC address manually rather than looking for it in the client list and worked. Should have thought of that before.

Last edited: