What's new

VPN only specific sites

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skoven

Occasional Visitor
Hi All.

I am currently letting one of my friends use my PPTP VPN server on my router. He lives in China, and needs a VPN to access a lot of sites (my VPN works better than the other public VPN's he's tried - even paid ones).
My VPN server works fine, besides the horrendous speed-drop (accessing anything outside China). And there is the problem - everything slows to a crawl on the VPN.

So my question is: is it possible to configure the VPN (he is using native iOS and OSX configuration) so only specific sites use the VPN (facebook, google, Instagram etc.)?
If its not possible to configure this on the clients, can it be done on my end (the VPN server)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You are going to have a few problems with this. First of all, both PPTP and L2TP are blocked in China. OpenVPN is sporadic at best. It works some of the time but never works during national holidays or government meetings. It's possible to get excellent VPN performance (near rated ISP speed) out of China if one finds the right 3rd party provider for VPN. Hosting it yourself is not the answer, IMO.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!