What's new

VPN router behind home router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kilter57

New Around Here
I am trying to connect an Asus Merlin router with openvon configuration to a Asus Merlin home router. The VPN appears to connect to the server, but I have dns leaks. I cannot find any solutions for this setup, any thoughts ?

Wow, I wrote about this issue with Merlin back in 2020. What is my solution for full proof kill switch but I would like some experts to say otherwise.

Using 384.19 firmware gives me the most simple VPN setup. I use a dedicated router where the feed comes from my main router and feed into the WAN port of the 2nd VPN router.

Turn off NAT since a VPN tunnel does not need NAT to function.

Dnsleaktest.com shows only the VPN server IP (What is my IP) and the Server test (reveals one VPN Server IP)

Newer versions of Merlin will show the Server IP but the test will show the OpenDNS servers (multiple). Other versions will show multiple servers as well (no leaks but I like what I show below).

Nice and clean. Simple.

Hello 217.111.111.11

Test complete​

Query round Progress... Servers found
1 ...... 1
IPHostnameISPCountry
217.111.111.11NoneM247 Europeit shows.

WAN Connection Type
Automatic IP Static IP PPPoE PPTP L2TP​
Enable WANYes
Enable NAT No 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Enable UPnP UPnP FAQ No

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!