What's new

What Mesh system do have the most power?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rt2016

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

actually I do use a ASUS Zenwifi XT8 setup with 2 routers.

I'm not trilled around the performance and the distance I can made before I loose power.

Could the Asus GT6 be an alternative, as those do have 9 antennas or is that poor marekting?

My house is a 2 flloors house, so I do have 1 station down and one up.

best regards
rt2016

If you are still in the UK every router you buy will be limited to 200mW on lower 5GHz non-DFS channels (36-48), 200mW on lower DFS range (52-68) and 1000mW in mid DFS range (100-144). Higher 5GHz band channels (149-165) may not be available even though allowed for some time. Your XT8 units according to FCC data are already there.

Potential issue with 3-band "mesh" systems like XT8 and similar - 5GHz-2 radio (the better one 4-stream and with higher power allowed) is reserved for wireless backhaul. The radio for your clients 5GHz-1 is limited to 200mW and 2-stream. To get out of this situation you have to use wired AiMesh and make 5GHz-2 radio available for clients.

Last edited:
IMO most mesh systems are extremely and overly optimistic about the square footage they can cover. My XT8 system with 3 units claims it can cover over 8000 sq ft.

Maybe in a completely empty rectangular warehouse with no walls or obstructions between the nodes and each node placed as far from the next one as possible before it loses signal.

But in a house like a 2 or 3 story house with walls, windows, outside areas to cover, etc? Not a chance. My 3-unit XT8 will be lucky to cover my 2.5 story house which includes a garage and several outdoor cameras.

My Deco X5000 even less, and my Nighthawk MK63 even less than that.

That said, I do find the XT8 to have the best signal out of the ones I mentioned and it does cover the inside of my place - 2200 sq ft., and a few outdoor cameras in areas that probably add up to about 2800 sq feet, but just barely. I've actually been considering getting a 4th unit.

My XT8 system with 3 units claims it can cover over 8000 sq ft.

At least you enjoy 6.6Gbps out of AX6600 class device... no?

Last edited:
If you are still in the UK every router you buy will be limited to 200mW on lower 5GHz non-DFS channels (36-48), 200mW on lower DFS range (52-68) and 1000mW in mid DFS range (100-144). Higher 5GHz band channels (149-165) may not be available even though allowed for some time. Your XT8 units according to FCC data are already there.

Potential issue with 3-band "mesh" systems like XT8 and similar - 5GHz-2 radio (the better one 4-stream and with higher power allowed) is reserved for wireless backhaul. The radio for your clients 5GHz-1 is limited to 200mW and 2-stream. To get out of this situation you have to use wired AiMesh and make 5GHz-2 radio available for clients.
What does wired AIMesh exactly mean? I do have each on network cable, but set as access point. I guess its not the same what you are talking about?

What does wired AIMesh exactly mean? I do have each on network cable, but set as access point. I guess its not the same what you are talking about?
If you don't know what Asus AiMesh is, Asus has a general explanation here:

Well what i don't get, will the Mesh setup be stronger in output then the AP setup?

No. For maximum Tx power you have to use 5GHz-2 radio in DFS range around ch.100, not guaranteed to work. For non-DNS range in the UK you are limited up to 200mW no matter what "router" or "mesh" system you have. Increasing Tx power doesn't increase the range. Your clients have to reply back to the router, not just hear it.

No. For maximum Tx power you have to use 5GHz-2 radio in DFS range around ch.100, not guaranteed to work. For non-DNS range in the UK you are limited up to 200mW no matter what "router" or "mesh" system you have. Increasing Tx power doesn't increase the range. Your clients have to reply back to the router, not just hear it.
Should I deactivate the 160 MHZ channel, or will that not do any positive?

Disabling 160MHz wide channel will give you 3dBm better signal level. Devices at the edge of coverage area may start working better.

@Tech9, I have read that UNII-3 allows up to 900mw/29dbm, which would mean that channels 149+ would have the maximum power?

@Tech9, I have read that UNII-3 allows up to 900mw/29dbm

What I have read - in the UK U-NII-3 is limited up to 200mW and not all devices on the market have this band.