What's new

whats the theroetical max wifi throughput under samba

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pete y testing

Very Senior Member
hi guys

have an issue i cant figure out when it comes to simple transfer rates over smb / samba

previous testing suggest that 60Mb/s over 1300M wifi adapter would be the max throughput over smb / samba

yet im getting 110 MB/s with windows 10 with a 30 gig vid file transfer in about 4 minutes and 30 seconds

file was a new non used file for testing

Are you sure you don't have a phantom Gig Ethernet connection?

50-55 (non-sustained) is the max I have hit on my Intel 7260AC adapter, normally it would be more like 40-45 MB/s from testing with NAS transfers. Even with an AC1300 adapter around 60-70 seems more plausible at least from my limited experience, 110MB/s seems a bit high, are you sure your adapter is not another router lol?

Last edited:
I can reach 66-70 MB/s between my Asustor NAS and my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15 (with an Intel 7265AC). Router is an RT-AC88U.

smb-benchmark.png

Seems I stand corrected :).

I can reach 66-70 MB/s between my Asustor NAS and my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15 (with an Intel 7265AC). Router is an RT-AC88U.

redir

cant fig out how to post a pic lol , but im still getting 110 MB/s read and 70 MB/s write with the following hardware

test pc with SSD with asus pce - asus rt-ac88u bonded to a synology 415+

and i have another user with the same hardware reporting the same speeds

read being from NAS to comp SSD

write being from comp SSD to NAS

tested with 4 different 30 gig files that have never been transferred in ether direction before thus eliminating cache being the issue

Attachments

• 88u 5 gig throughput read.JPG
    88u 5 gig throughput read.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Considering I get clearly over 60 MB/s with a link rate of 866 Mbps, that at least confirms that you can definitely get well over 60 Mbps with a link rate of 1300 (the expected numbers you wrote in the first post).

iPerf3 is pretty awesome, and there, you'll get as close as you would possibly get for throughput, and you can measure on a periodic basis to look at connection stability...

iPerf3 is pretty awesome, and there, you'll get as close as you would possibly get for throughput, and you can measure on a periodic basis to look at connection stability...

Provided he can run it on his NAS...