What's new

WiFi router with DNS masq in factory firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Is there a WiFi router with DNS masq in factory firmware?
So I can create a list of up to 10 or so LAN IP addresses (DHCP reservations) and give them LAN-only names?

joeblow = 192.168.1.x

or some such.

Not an Internet DNS server - just on my LAN.

dnsmasq's DNS forwarder using a router-stored /etc/hosts file should do that, unless I misunderstand your question.

Thanks... but I'd have to SSH into the router and try to figure out how to get the dnsmasq daemon to run each boot-up, and all that rot.

I was hoping there's a modestly priced WiFi router with dnsmasq integrated into the admin GUI (as it probably is with DD-WRT, but I'm wanting to stay with factory firmware).

AsusWRT, and lots of other routers run dnsmasq by default as the DHCP server. Something running AsusWRT-merlin could accomplish your goal easily with a single "user script".

Thanks... but

You already know the answer to the question, along with the reasonably easy solution.

No, there is no well-known WiFi routers that support what you want in stock form, but there are easy solutions like AsusWRT-merlin & tomato, or free solutions like pfSense & IPFire if you have an old and/or unused PC.

Why must this feature be factory-included with the GUI?

just preference. Speaking as a past user of DD-WRT.

Another option for me is to turn on the DNS server in my NAS, but that's not a simple DNSmasq. It's linux based, so perhaps there's a way to just run DNSmasq.

just preference. Speaking as a past user of DD-WRT.

Another option for me is to turn on the DNS server in my NAS, but that's not a simple DNSmasq. It's linux based, so perhaps there's a way to just run DNSmasq.

dnsmasq has lots of options. I statically map most hostname<->IP DNS entries at the DHCP server, but I also allow the DHCP client to choose an arbitrary hostname which will mapped to the client's IP in the router's DNS.

I think your idea of having the DNS server be separate from the router is perfectly fine (just change what DNS(s) the DHCP shares), but I have never tried it myself except for hosting dnsmasq on the client's localhost, which is kinda stupid, in my opinion.

yes. I'm just fiddling with the idea of using symbolic names for the IP addresses of the growing number of WiFi things here - phones, tablets, RPi's, other IoT's. I have been using DHCP reservations in the router's DHCP server. But many things don't send a name with the DHCP request, so I have to have a crib sheet of MAC addresses. Would be nice if router let me enter a device name.

Kind of scary that our new washing machine can link via Bluetooth to the manufacturer's diagnostics system.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!