What's new

[ 3006.102 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

octopus

Part of the Furniture

No support on Alpha builds
GT-BE98_PRO
RT-BE96

3006.102.xx (xx-xxx-xxxx)
- NEW: Added mDNS support to the router's local name resolution
(nss).
- UPDATED: OpenVPN to 2.6.12.
- CHANGED: Support importing Wireguard config files that
contain multiple AllowedIPs, Address or DNS
declarations.
- FIXED: Generated web certificate wasn't using the FQDN
for Namecheap DDNS users.
- FIXED: DNSDirector and Tor pages would fail to properly load
in some environment.
- FIXED: CVE-2024-2511, CVE-2024-4741, CVE-2024-5535 &
Implicit rejection for RSA PKCS#1 in openssl
(backport from Ubuntu by RSDNTWK)
- FIXED: UPnP options were missing on WAN page for models
with multiservice WAN support.

Last edited:
Wow, still no love for the rest of the newer generation of Asus routers that should support this 3006 branch (and have stock Asus-WRT builds available)?

Come on Asus (I know it isn't @RMerlin s fault, as I'm sure he still hasn't received the appropriate builds for the rest of the lineup), but how long is this going to go on?

Last edited:
Wow, still no love for the rest of the newer generation of Asus routers that should support this 3006 branch (and have stock Asus-WRT builds available)?

Come on Asus (I know it isn't @RMerlin s fault, as I'm sure he still hasn't received the appropriate builds for the rest of the lineup), how long is this going to go on?

Indeed. Would be nice if RMerlin would give the people here some kind of an update were development stands at this point.

Come on Asus (I know it isn't @RMerlin s fault, as I'm sure he still hasn't received the appropriate builds for the rest of the lineup), how long is this going to go on?
They are busy adding new routers to the WiFi7 lineup as mentioned by RMerlin here.

There was an update to stock firmware not too long ago for the 3006.102...
Merlin will work his magic for us when Asus gets around to sending him/giving him access to what he needs

I briefly installed 3006_102.2_alpha1 on my GT-BE98 Pro last evening. Unfortunately, I was unable to connect to the network using OpenVPN. Since I didn't have enough time to debug (headed out on vacation), I had to revert to 3006_102.1 for the time being — OpenVPN connects again without issue from MacBook Pro client, Android client, and remote network.

I fully understand that alphas are unsupported, but I wanted to throw this out there to see if others had the same issue (and possibly might suggest solution or work-around).

Last edited:
I'm not expecting the next 3006 GPL drop until the end of September at the earliest, as Asus needs to finalize some things they are currently working on before they have a stable codebase to provide.

These alpha builds were generated to test my new PC, I just decided to upload them to Onedrive as they contained a few minor fixes and updates that were done over the past few weeks.

I'm currently working with two intermediary/temporary GPL archives (of different versions) specifically to implement support for two new models. I'm not ready to reveal which models yet, as I only got the first one working last night, and I'm waiting to receive the second router in the coming days before I can begin working on it (this one will be more work due to the particular GPL drop they provided for it).

Would be nice if RMerlin would give the people here some kind of an update were development stands at this point.
I only received updates/ETAs last night. When I have news, I always post them, I've always been very open in that regard. If I don't post any news, it's because... I don't have any to post at that time.

I'm not expecting the next 3006 GPL drop until the end of September at the earliest, as Asus needs to finalize some things they are currently working on before they have a stable codebase to provide.

These alpha builds were generated to test my new PC, I just decided to upload them to Onedrive as they contained a few minor fixes and updates that were done over the past few weeks.

I'm currently working with two intermediary/temporary GPL archives (of different versions) specifically to implement support for two new models. I'm not ready to reveal which models yet, as I only got the first one working last night, and I'm waiting to receive the second router in the coming days before I can begin working on it (this one will be more work due to the particular GPL drop they provided for it).

I only received updates/ETAs last night. When I have news, I always post them, I've always been very open in that regard. If I don't post any news, it's because... I don't have any to post at that time.
Yes, Asus has been slowly releasing updated 3006 firmware with single change of "Fixed injection vulnerability". I'm guessing that they discovered serious bug.

Can you say whether these 2 new routers are AX or BE routers?

Thanks for the informative update. Much appreciated.

Can you say whether these 2 new routers are AX or BE routers?
Both are Wifi 7.

it's highly unlikely I will add any other WIfi 6 model at this point. That doesn't mean that Gnuton wouldn't, I can't speak for his own plans.

t's highly unlikely I will add any other WIfi 6 model at this point.

That's highly unfortunate and really the only reason i bought a AX86U Pro. O well time to move on and forget about it. There are other wifi sources i have been wanting to try out anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

That's highly unfortunate and really the only reason i bought a AX86U Pro. O well time to move on and forget about it. There are other wifi sources i have been wanting to try out anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
I was specifically talking about adding new models, not about migrating already supported devices to the 3006 codebase. The BCM4912 migration to 3006 will happen eventually, once that codebase is mature enough. It's not there yet.

I was specifically talking about adding new models, not about migrating already supported devices to the 3006 codebase. The BCM4912 migration to 3006 will happen eventually, once that codebase is mature enough. It's not there yet.

That's good news. I have no issues waiting awhile. The way it sounded you basically were not even going to bother with WiFi 6 routers at all for 3.0.0.6. Thanks for your effort and work.

I fully understand that it's not your fault in any way, but really Asus? Over a year and a half of betas (9.0.0.6) and 3.0.0.6 releases, yet we are still at a point where the best that can be said is "The BCM4912 migration to 3006 will happen eventually, once that codebase is mature enough. It's not there yet.".
It sure seems like a classic example of marketing driven empty promises...not quite vaporware, but close IMHO. In the meantime, new models keep coming along, but those of us that bought WiFi6 AX models based on the reasonable expectation that promised features (fully integrated VLAN support, for example), would be stable and RMerlin releases would be available by now are still waiting. Shame on me for believing the hype, lesson noted and learned.

So what should I say? The official support for the GT-AXE16000 Asus is pathetic.
Last firmware release: 2023.12.18 3.0.04.388_24329
Last beta release: 2023.03.21 9.0.0.6.102.4856

The GT-AXE16000 is the top model of WiFi 6E, slowly without official support. This is not good :(

And based on this, there definitely won’t be a Merlin 3006 for about a year :(

So what should I say? The official support for the GT-AXE16000 Asus is pathetic.
Last firmware release: 2023.12.18 3.0.04.388_24329
Last beta release: 2023.03.21 9.0.0.6.102.4856

The GT-AXE16000 is the top model of WiFi 6E, slowly without official support. This is not good :(

And based on this, there definitely won’t be a Merlin 3006 for about a year :(

To me this is unacceptable. It was promised to have the 3.0.0.6 firmware. We get 1 Beta almost a year and a half ago and then nothing. No 3.0.04 update for 9 months. All this on a flagship expensive router!
And BTW they are still selling the unit for $599 UDS.

The fact Merlin has now abandoned the 16000 as his everyday router is also a bad sign. Merlin can you give us any insight as to Asus's plans for the 16000?

CC

Make sure you let Asus know that you're not pleased with the state of updates on the current WiFi 6 and 6E routers. I don't think complaining in this forum does much good.

One company out there outsells everyone else with marked flooding, lower prices, simple firmware and minimum support required. This is obviously the winning business strategy. Asus copied the market flooding, but this overcomplicated firmware perhaps 10% of consumer user actually need will backfire. Overpromising and underdelivering is a losing strategy and will be corrected at some point. I personally expect to see larger separation between ExpertWiFi series and consumer RT/GT/Zen series in the future in both price and features. Don't be surprised if the list of RT/GT/Zen features is shorter with new models. There is already BQ16 running Asuswrt 5.0 with no VLAN support. What was promised (was it actually?) is subject to change.