What's new

4G Router -to- Wireless Router (Ideas?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ostracizado

New Around Here
Hey, everyone.

My situation, right now:
ISP modem/router (DSL [damn slow: 4Mbps/1Mbps]), as router 1, and the Asus RT-AC51U (AC750), as a 2º router, where everything connects: Desktop, Rasp Pi 3b, Smart TV, kid's consoles, phones&tablets, Smart Home, and my Laptop.

But next month I'll, probably, change to 4G. All tests I've done for months gave me Internet speeds around 50Mps/20Mps. Even the latency was quite better than the DSL. The kid "approves this..." change.

Honestly, I'm struggling with how many choices there are - plus the hardware problems some routers seem to have. Connections going down, losing bands, and so on...

I'll first test the ISP 4G Router, but I'll probably buy, after a while, the Huawei Pro B535s-235 4G.
Now my indecision, as such LTE router doesn't have a USB port, is what Wireless Router should I buy.

Can't say I'm not happy with the AC51U, but the problem is the USB 2 port, as I use that a lot to stream from the external HDD to the Smart TV all kinds of movies, and if it's true that they play without a glitch, the writing speeds, through WiFi, from the Laptop to the router, are simply too slow. I was hoping to upgrade to a more powerful/new router, cross fingering that a USB 3 port would solve that problem.

I guess a NAS would work out, but I was hoping to not pay that much while adding more WiFi coverage/range.

Any ideas?

Edit: Oh! Almost forgot; and a good compatibility with VPN. Ex: Express VPN. I'm somewhat looking at the Linksys WRT3200ACM, because of that; but they also seem to have their share of problems.

Last edited:
The dedicated processing power and additional hardware reliability of a NAS is a much better idea than routinely relying on a drive you hang off of any consumer all-in-one. You should be able to find a deal off Amazon Warehouse or similar for a 1-bay or even 2-bay Synology for around or less than $100 USD equivalent if you hunt hard enough. Even eBay if the seller has a top reputation and the unit is clean.

With that out of the way, you're free to shop a much wider array of routers on Express VPN compatibility, strong wireless and high quality-of-service (QoS).

For 70Mb/s aggregate of VPN, you'll want a router with a 1.2Ghz or higher clock ARM CPU. If you like Asus and you're comfortable with the price point of a WRT3200ACM, I'd look at the RT-AC88U (AC3100), else the RT-AX88U, and run Merlin for stability.

If you'd like to go a step further to assure top-notch QoS and the most premium wifi link-layer quality, I'd look at something Qualcomm-based than can run OpenWRT, such as the Netgear R7800 (Nighthawk X4S). At roughly 40% lower cost, you'll get way more effective SQM and often better-behaved wireless throughput over range, plus the hardware is typically every bit as reliable as Asus, if not more so for that particular model.

I run 4g lte to asus router.

This is what you want and what I use and get 100+ mb at 5k from 4g++ tower (I'm in the french countryside with a direct line of sight) and get those speeds at -104 db and sinr 18 and rsrq -5.

4g router: B525-23a. (100-150 dollars)
Router: ASUS AC86U (100 - 150 dollars)
Aerial: https://poynting.tech/product/xpol-2/ (112 GBP, don't know in USD)

Router capable due to encryption acceleration speed 250mb+ when using VPN.
4G router the most stable and reliable out of the huawei 4g router range and has compatible aerial ports (sma) aerial.
Aerial below is ridiculously good at pulling extra signal and extra speed. I go from 2 bars and 10db less signal to 4 bars, 10db more signal and far better sinr and rsrq ratings.

Don't waste your time deliberating any further.

I have like 2mb adsl where I am and now have relatively decent internet with 100% uptime and lowest 50mb at peak times.

Spend your 400 -450 dollars within an hour - set up your aerial within an hour (using tower app), put 4g lte router in dmz to router (bridge mode on LTE routers doesnt work properly), set up your vpn on AC86u running merlin and forget about it.

Your kid and wife will thank you greatly, and you can spend your time doing far more important things than pissing around trying to get stuff to work.

Trust me, I was that guy :)

Thanks for your opinions. ;)

Ahaha, cplay. It did indeed seem somewhat familiar, that situation.
I'm also in the countryside (Portugal), with the antenna on sight. I usually get, inside the house, -81 (RSRP) and -4 (RSRQ). A pitty the provider is only 4G, while the other option (ISP - Vodafone), with 4G+, has a limited plan. I'm not looking towards ISDN speeds (after PUR or Traffic Shaping) because the kid was updating his PS4 games...
Anyway, I'm also looking into the external antenna (XPOL-2) - for stability, more than anything else.

It still makes me wonder; the options such as ASUS RT-AC88U, RT-AX88U, that Trip mentioned, or even the RT-AC86U. I've been quite happy with ASUS, but looking around the forum there's a lot of people complaining.
Even so, I'll probably take a chance with one of those.

Ps. Have to say, the quarantine has been great for testing the 4G.

Thanks for your opinions. ;)

Ahaha, cplay. It did indeed seem somewhat familiar, that situation.
I'm also in the countryside (Portugal), with the antenna on sight. I usually get, inside the house, -81 (RSRP) and -4 (RSRQ). A pitty the provider is only 4G, while the other option (ISP - Vodafone), with 4G+, has a limited plan. I'm not looking towards ISDN speeds (after PUR or Traffic Shaping) because the kid was updating his PS4 games...
Anyway, I'm also looking into the external antenna (XPOL-2) - for stability, more than anything else.

It still makes me wonder; the options such as ASUS RT-AC88U, RT-AX88U, that Trip mentioned, or even the RT-AC86U. I've been quite happy with ASUS, but looking around the forum there's a lot of people complaining.
Even so, I'll probably take a chance with one of those.

Ps. Have to say, the quarantine has been great for testing the 4G.

I've had the xpol2 for 18months in south western france with huge storms and wind mounted on a 8 metre pole and it has been flawless. I've test other external aerial and they are not the same build quality. They are hands down the best 4g aerials.

I'd probably pay a little extra and get the 5g version to future proof if.

Yeah, you should get 4g+full speeds with your signals. My signal would be so good if i wasn't 5km out from the aerial, however the direct line of sight and being 300m up helps negate the distance with line quality.

AX88U is double the cores and ram of ac86u but it overkill for you.

The ac86u (like the ax88u) has an aes-ni processor that speeds up vpns substantially. 86u can support 250mbps +, the linksys you were mentioning struggles at 50mb max.

People dont tend to come onto forums just to chat, they come on to discuss problems normally, then they like the place and stick around. But just by default all their problems will be put here if they do occur.

I have 2 x ac86u's bought second hand with MFG year 2019 (2018 models are the ones with the bad rap) and they run flawlessly plus another ac68u.

You can pick em up of amazon es for like 150 euro brand new.

And you want the b525, because it has custom software (ltewatch) where you can manually set the frequency (like 800, 1800, 2100 etc) to stop your router choosing a less favourable antenna if you want it to stick on a specific one :)

I've had the xpol2 for 18months in south western france with huge storms and wind mounted on a 8 metre pole and it has been flawless. I've test other external aerial and they are not the same build quality. They are hands down the best 4g aerials.

I'd probably pay a little extra and get the 5g version to future proof if.

Yeah, you should get 4g+full speeds with your signals. My signal would be so good if i wasn't 5km out from the aerial, however the direct line of sight and being 300m up helps negate the distance with line quality.

AX88U is double the cores and ram of ac86u but it overkill for you.

The ac86u (like the ax88u) has an aes-ni processor that speeds up vpns substantially. 86u can support 250mbps +, the linksys you were mentioning struggles at 50mb max.

People dont tend to come onto forums just to chat, they come on to discuss problems normally, then they like the place and stick around. But just by default all their problems will be put here if they do occur.

I have 2 x ac86u's bought second hand with MFG year 2019 (2018 models are the ones with the bad rap) and they run flawlessly plus another ac68u.

You can pick em up of amazon es for like 150 euro brand new.

And you want the b525, because it has custom software (ltewatch) where you can manually set the frequency (like 800, 1800, 2100 etc) to stop your router choosing a less favourable antenna if you want it to stick on a specific one :)

According to Google Maps I'm 1.4 km (0.87 miles) away from the antenna:

antenna.th.jpg

The tricky part will be to install the XPOL2, as I'll put it on the 1º floor; but the outside wall is surrounded by trees.

Ohoh, the Ltewatch you mentioned seems quite nice. A pity they haven't updated the software since 2017; so they may have some compatibility problems with new models such as B535. I was thinking you could already change the band and freq. from Auto to one specific with in-build software on Huawei LTE routers. Still, something to think about and check it out.

The RT-AC86U does indeed have some nice mentions on VPN; but the dropping bands still worries me quite a lot...
I'll probably check a physical shop hoping, in case of problems, they will be more quick and open to change the hardware.
Any info on how to know the manufacturing year?

According to Google Maps I'm 1.4 km (0.87 miles) away from the antenna:

antenna.th.jpg

The tricky part will be to install the XPOL2, as I'll put it on the 1º floor; but the outside wall is surrounded by trees.

Ohoh, the Ltewatch you mentioned seems quite nice. A pity they haven't updated the software since 2017; so they may have some compatibility problems with new models such as B535. I was thinking you could already change the band and freq. from Auto to one specific with in-build software on Huawei LTE routers. Still, something to think about and check it out.

The RT-AC86U does indeed have some nice mentions on VPN; but the dropping bands still worries me quite a lot...
I'll probably check a physical shop hoping, in case of problems, they will be more quick and open to change the hardware.
Any info on how to know the manufacturing year?

You luck man with it that close!

Can you not mount it above the trees? Send me a photo of the planned position of aerial and surrounding area?

Yeah, LTE watch is old but works. My b525 lacks the option to manually set frequencies, newer huawei 4g routers might have the option built into the firmware (it's someone you want). I can only force 4g, 3g etc in default firmware but not frequencies.

Is the b535 sma aerial connector or ts9?

I've personally only heard of it with the 2018 mfg years and have 2 x 86u mfg year 2019 with no issues.

Yeah, new is best, but nothing is as good as buying from amazon and their return policy. in store is always more hassel to return as amazon is so big they dont care about returns.

You can tell mfg year by looking at the barcode / serial numbers on bottom of packaging, it will clearly say mfg year.

You luck man with it that close!

Can you not mount it above the trees? Send me a photo of the planned position of aerial and surrounding area?

Yeah, LTE watch is old but works. My b525 lacks the option to manually set frequencies, newer huawei 4g routers might have the option built into the firmware (it's someone you want). I can only force 4g, 3g etc in default firmware but not frequencies.

Is the b535 sma aerial connector or ts9?

I've personally only heard of it with the 2018 mfg years and have 2 x 86u mfg year 2019 with no issues.

Yeah, new is best, but nothing is as good as buying from amazon and their return policy. in store is always more hassel to return as amazon is so big they dont care about returns.

You can tell mfg year by looking at the barcode / serial numbers on bottom of packaging, it will clearly say mfg year.

Well, the walls are above the trees; the tricky part is the ground floor. I'll have to think of a way to put the ladder - other option would be the pole on the roof where I have the DTTV antenna & Satellite dish; I'm just unsure about the 5m length of the cable that comes with the XPOL 2.

Hmmm, you were right. It seems you can't select band/freq., with in-build software. :confused:
And I've read on a german forum someone saying (late 2019) that Ltewatch wasn't working on the B535. But, at the same time, I've found another promising app: Huawei Band Tool (updated [last page] 02/04/2020):

asdaf2.jpg

That "locking option" seems quite enticing....

Anyway, the B535 has two female SMA. But the only difference between it and the B525, beyond the external appearance, is the Cat7 (300/100) instead the Cat6 (300/50). Not that much of a kick, nowadays, with the limited speeds we still have on LTE.

Just found out that my ISP LTE router is the Huawei B310. Ugh... how petty; just one Gigabit Ethernet port and a nonsense RJ11 port. Lol