What's new

5gh only on iPhone 14

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I personally never had a situation requiring reset of a PC or phone. I would never suggest a router reset when single client has connection issues. You mentioned in another thread you are a reset freak. I understand you want to kill some time here, but don’t waste someone else’s time in the process. My suggestion is to wait for @Vooloo reply first and then suggest course of action. Perhaps destructive approach is not needed.

I personally never had a situation requiring reset of a PC or phone. I would never suggest a router reset when single client has connection issues. You mentioned in another thread you are a reset freak. I understand you want to kill some time here, but don’t waste someone else’s time in the process. My suggestion is to wait for @Vooloo reply first and then suggest course of action. Perhaps destructive approach is not needed.

That's my point, if they don't have a lot of customizations, scripts, etc the reset will probably take/waste less time than trying to track down a setting they changed and may not remember, or some outdated or corrupted NVRAM variable.

Your suggestion that I'm here to waste people's time for my own amusement is uncalled for. I think my contributions clearly show that is not the case. I've been working with PCs for over 30 years, there are cases when there is no option but to wipe and reinstall, and others where they are just so cluttered, slow, and glitchy that it is well worth the effort and they perform significantly better after. Even if you do nothing, windows updates make a mess and eventually bog things down. When the winsxs directory gets up to 50 gigs, probably a sign it's time to start clean. If you've never run into a case where a format of a PC was either required or the best/logical course of action, you're either the luckiest technical person in the world or don't work with many PCs.

I'm in the habit of wiping my PCs every couple of years just to make them run faster, even if there are no issues. Used to do it every year but windows and programs have gotten better, and I do a lot less installing and uninstalling of stuff than I used to. For phones it is typically just a fresh SIM and network reset once a year. I find both to be beneficial, others may not feel it is worth the effort, obviously to each their own.

If OP comes back and confirms some obvious setting (maybe foreign iPhone with us router set to a channel not supported by foreign phone) or something along those lines, then of course no need to reset anything. But we've already gone through a bunch of things and it is just guesswork. I mean you suggested forgetting the network, which if it can connect sometimes probably isn't the issue, and they had already tried a full network reset which wipes out the networks anyway. So that was a waste of time too. At what point does it just make sense to start with a clean slate, if nothing else to rule out a possible config or corruption issue?

Even if you do nothing, windows updates make a mess and eventually bog things down. When the winsxs directory gets up to 50 gigs, probably a sign it's time to start clean. If you've never run into a case where a format of a PC was either required or the best/logical course of action, you're either the luckiest technical person in the world or don't work with many PCs.

Last time I started clean on a PC was somewhere around Windows 7 early days >10 years ago. I currently have in use >30 Windows PCs desktops and laptops, >100 Chromebooks and >20 devices running iOS, my own or company owned. It's been similar situation for years. I also recycle thousands of PCs per year and never heard any complaints about the need of starting clean from time to time. Must be the Great White North thing. Let me know if I win something with the "luckiest" title - I'll take it. If the prize is another long kill time post with general statements - don't need it.

I use Apple products like iPhones, iPads, AppleTV 4K latest and MACs and they seem to work well using my Cisco small business wireless 150ax APs. I use 3 of them.