What's new

6 minute exceedingly long time to come to ready?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What happens if you "Refresh" the page after the ruuter shows 100% after a "reboot"? Give that a try........

Cable one:
Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 5.0
Firmware Build Time: Jan 22 2015 14:31:03

The 6121 is a 4x4 I believe.
The 6180 is a 4x8. There both supported by C1.

Yes, SB6121 is old in todays cable tech, it's 4 by 1 I think and probably hasn't updated the firmware for a long time. Who is your cable provider?

Don't get anything...no connections since the Internet LED and LAN LED are OFF until 6 minutes as passed.
Will see if my SB6180 modem changes anything.

What happens if you "Refresh" the page after the ruuter shows 100% after a "reboot"? Give that a try........

I would but by that time the router has gone into the full reboot and the Internet and LAN LEDs have turned off and thus no access to the UI for the next 5-6 minutes.

I hope to put my 6180 online and test this evening. o_O

Ok, so I did the following to get the AC5300 connected to a Motorola SB 6180 cable modem this evening:
1. Power OFF the AC5300. May NO changed to the router before turning it off.
2. Power OFF the SB6121.
3. Connected the SB6180.
4. Connected a Mac Book Pro to the 6180. Then power ON the modem and let it sync.
5. Registered the modem with Cableone.
6. Powered OFF the 6180.
7. Reconnected the AC5300 to the 6180.
8. Reconnected the Mac via LAN wire to the AC5300.
9. Powered ON the 6180 cable modem. Came to ready.
10. Powered on the AC5300 and started a timer.
I saw the same LED behavior with the Internet LED. It came on immediately after turning on the router. Then turned off for about 2 minutes. Then came one then I saw the Power LED turn OFF then back on, then the Internet LED went off again. Saw this about 4 more times. Going passed the 6 minute mark, I let the router go to see if at any point the Internet and LAN LED would come on. After 10 minutes I went and had a quick bite to eat for dinner, about 10-15 minutes. I came up to find that the Internet LED and LAN LEDs were ON, however the internet LED was RED. Again, I had to use the Setup wizard to get it to finally connect on the 2nd scan detect attempt. After that, the Internet LED turned white and now I have Internet fully.
Log here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e0gq2df418wirv/ASUS_AC5300_PowerON_with_SB6180Modemsyslog.txt?dl=0

RM, please review the log and let me know what you think. I had hopes of maybe this might resolve the what others have called problems with older model cable modems and this router. So I wanted to test and see. Seem like this didn't resolve anything. I'm wondering if maybe I do have a bad unit after all. I'll do one more REBOOT test, if I can't tonight, tomorrow.

Thank you.

Ok, so I did the following to get the AC5300 connected to a Motorola SB 6180 cable modem this evening:
1. Power OFF the AC5300. May NO changed to the router before turning it off.
2. Power OFF the SB6121.
3. Connected the SB6180.
4. Connected a Mac Book Pro to the 6180. Then power ON the modem and let it sync.
5. Registered the modem with Cableone.
6. Powered OFF the 6180.
7. Reconnected the AC5300 to the 6180.
8. Reconnected the Mac via LAN wire to the AC5300.
9. Powered ON the 6180 cable modem. Came to ready.
10. Powered on the AC5300 and started a timer.
I saw the same LED behavior with the Internet LED. It came on immediately after turning on the router. Then turned off for about 2 minutes. Then came one then I saw the Power LED turn OFF then back on, then the Internet LED went off again. Saw this about 4 more times. Going passed the 6 minute mark, I let the router go to see if at any point the Internet and LAN LED would come on. After 10 minutes I went and had a quick bite to eat for dinner, about 10-15 minutes. I came up to find that the Internet LED and LAN LEDs were ON, however the internet LED was RED. Again, I had to use the Setup wizard to get it to finally connect on the 2nd scan detect attempt. After that, the Internet LED turned white and now I have Internet fully.
Log here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e0gq2df418wirv/ASUS_AC5300_PowerON_with_SB6180Modemsyslog.txt?dl=0

RM, please review the log and let me know what you think. I had hopes of maybe this might resolve the what others have called problems with older model cable modems and this router. So I wanted to test and see. Seem like this didn't resolve anything. I'm wondering if maybe I do have a bad unit after all. I'll do one more REBOOT test, if I can't tonight, tomorrow.

Thank you.

Maybe your watch isn't working correctly, or is fast. Try a different watch :)

I'd send it back for a refund and order a new Asus RT-AC5300 ruuter. Otherwise, see if you can exchange it for a new one.

RM, please review the log and let me know what you think.

Your Internet connection was ready after only 1 min 57, with a valid lease obtained from your ISP. However it took 6 minutes after obtaining that lease before the clock could be set over NTP. So either your ISP is taking a long time to start routing traffic after giving your router a lease, or something is getting stuck when setting up the clock. Try either setting a static DNS on the WAN page (try Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or changing the NTP server for a different one (possibly by an IP. Try this Canadian one, just for testing purposes: 132.246.11.227 (this is time.nrc.ca).

Also don't plug any USB disk, just in case it could be getting stuck trying to spin up.

Thank you RM,

Seems that if the clock is having problems with NTP and with DNS, seems that something in the FW could provide a message to the log and or user saying there was a problem and avoid this long hang time during this process. I'm using the default NTP settings set for my time zone is all. I'm using my ISP DNS set forth under LAN/DHCP server and disabled advertise routers IP address for DNS.
It does seem like it keeps on trying and trying and trying to do something then eventually, it gets passed it, as I see the Internet LED go OFF and On several times.I don't believe that the ISP or modem could be the issue as if I put one of the other non-ASUS routers online, I'm up and running in a minute or less.

The only thing I have plugged in to the USB port is a laptop cooler that sits under the router. I use for additional cooling is all. It only draws power. I'll test with out to be sure.

I'll make the changes you suggested this evening and test.

Thank you.

Your Internet connection was ready after only 1 min 57, with a valid lease obtained from your ISP. However it took 6 minutes after obtaining that lease before the clock could be set over NTP. So either your ISP is taking a long time to start routing traffic after giving your router a lease, or something is getting stuck when setting up the clock. Try either setting a static DNS on the WAN page (try Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or changing the NTP server for a different one (possibly by an IP. Try this Canadian one, just for testing purposes: 132.246.11.227 (this is time.nrc.ca).

Also don't plug any USB disk, just in case it could be getting stuck trying to spin up.

So I did what RM said. Seems to have made it worse. I changed the default NTP to his suggested NTP IP address. Applied the setting.
I then change the WAN DNS server to googles DNS. Applied the setting. Thinking that there would be conflict with using my ISP DNS addresses under LAN/DHCP server tab I change those two use the game google DNS. Applied the setting.
I could not do a REBOOT as after I changed the LAN/DHCP server DNS to google and applied the change, it did it’s own reboot and after 10 minutes of the Internet LED and Power LED cycling On and off, me going down for dinner can coming back about 30 minutes later, the router still was not ready, internet and LAN LEDs were not ON and still cycling On and Off with the Power LED and Internet LED.

So I Then disconnected all but one LAN cable and connected it to my Mac Book Pro and figured, lets do a factory reset using the button in back. Either this did network or was not processed by router as after about 1 minute the Internet LED came on and was RED and the LAN LED was now on. The router UI was still accessible and noticed that nothing had changed after I had held in the reset button for 10 seconds. I’ll recheck that I was using the RESET button farthest towards the LAN side ports later.

After gaining access to the UI I attempted to get the WAN reconnected and after several failed attempts using the setup wizard like I had before, I had to power cycle the modem and then finally the WAN port on the router got connected. I looked at the status of the WAN port and saw that it said connected but the IP address read 0.0.0.0.

I then attempted to navigate to LAN/DCHP server tab and this was displayed in the browser:
“Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC5300.
To access the settings of RT-AC5300, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.”
For some reason the router decided to reboot on its own here. So I started a Timer on my phone and now that 12 minutes has passed, the router is now doing the Power and Internet LED cycling again and has not come back to ready and the LAN LED has failed to turn on.

I’m now taking the ASUS router OFF LINE fully and putting my old router back online until tomorrow when I can do a full factory reset and try again from scratch.. Of course the old router is back and running in about a minute. I confirmed the reset button location I was using and it was correct. Not sure of 10 seconds is long enough to trigger the full reset or not.

After I pulled the router offline I checked the power adapter with a mutli meter. I'm seeing 19v in line with the sticker on the power adapter however 2.62amps which is not inline with the sticker that says 3.42amps. Is the power adapter bad? Hmmmm. I mis-configured the meter. AH, tired here. AMPs in DC are correctly reading 8amps on the power adapter tip. I found a Laptop adapter that has similar specs as the Asus adapter and connected it to the router. Still, after 6 minutes the router failed to come to ready.

I've gone ahead and asked for a return on refund on this unit from Amazon. I think the unit is just bad over all. Should have to do all this trouble shooting to figure this one out. I did though.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!