What's new

74 days 23 hour(s) 34 minute(s) 38 seconds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is healthy to restart any computing device from time to time.

Meh. My mission-critical devices get rebooted for kernel/daemon updates, the occasional power outage, and nothing else. I do not tolerate critical gear that can't handle that.

(Admittedly, that rule still leads to periodic reboots, but not once a week or anything like that. Once a quarter is typical.)

Meh. My mission-critical devices get rebooted for kernel/daemon updates, the occasional power outage, and nothing else. I do not tolerate critical gear that can't handle that.

(Admittedly, that rule still leads to periodic reboots, but not once a week or anything like that. Once a quarter is typical.)

Not saying everyone should reboot everything daily or weekly. Just saying holding on to Alpha firmware or potentially suffering performance impacts is not worth trying to set some meaningless record. Plus, these Asus routers are not exactly highly refined mission critical devices. Just knowing my Asus router had been up and running for a month would be enough for me to reboot it, they aren't known for flawless memory management etc, and who knows what impact that is having at that point.

If your devices are truly mission critical you should have them in pairs which allows you to do maintenance without any impact. I would not have considered my previous setup "mission critical" and I wasn't going to spend a ton on dual of everything, but since it ran email and web servers for myself and various friends, and a lot of network monitoring and other stuff, I would do maintenance at like 3AM. A big UPS and very reliable power made that minimal concern (only once did I have to fire up the generator during a 3 or 4 hour outage). All enterprise network gear which I got dirt cheap or free and a pretty decent (albeit not terribly high end) Dell server.

If we want to talk about records, I've lost track of uptime on various Cisco gear I've worked with. Just took down a pair of 7304s that were at 11 years of pretty heavy use, typically pushing around a gig of unicast and multicast all day 5 days a week, and large synch jobs over the weekend. That may be my record but I want to say I've seen a forgotten router that was at more like 15 (end of life, end of support, not doing anything other than wasting power). In my previous job we had a pair of 7500 core routers that were in 1 WFC (next to the WTC towers), after 9/11 we watched the temperature creep up gradually over several days to well beyond critical, and weren't able to determine if the generator ran out of fuel or the routers thermally destructed. Only one circuit was still up (second router was reachable via the first, not directly) and everything went down at once so hard to say. When we finally got in there to recover them they were packed solid with concrete dust. I believe someone told me they did power back on but nobody ever hooked them up to see if they were booting, they were considered hazardous waste at that point. In reality the only reason I've not seen ones at 20 or 30 years is simply equipment life/support cycle requiring it to be replaced. Of course a low end 1941 type router may not fare as well, but that's what I used at home and I know it ran for over a year at least once.

When you find a good, stable IOS, Cisco routers can run virtually forever as long as they have power and some amount of cooling. Just don't turn them off after 10 or 15 years and expect all the fans to spin back up when you turn them back on (if they turn on at all, sometimes that is also certain death for the power supplies).

Now my home stuff gets rebooted at least every couple weeks. That includes fire stick, that thing has awful memory leaks 😄

If we want to talk about records, I've lost track of uptime on various Cisco gear I've worked with.

Yeah, exactly. My point is that "my router didn't crash for 74 days" shouldn't be something to crow about, it's more like the minimum acceptable behavior.

Yeah, exactly. My point is that "my router didn't crash for 74 days" shouldn't be something to crow about, it's more like the minimum acceptable behavior.

Honestly I don't expect that from my Asus (though it has done it many times, I'm not always good about remembering to give it a reboot from time to time).

I guess maybe 74 days on alpha firmware might be a record though. Personally, not a state I'd want to be in for 74 days.....

Not hard to make the log display whatever you want it to.

4.jpg

Oops, I was wrong, totally forgot about this one, I think this is probably our current record holder.

Installed on June 4th 2010, IOS updated and rebooted, and not touched since.

xxxxxx uptime is 13 years, 16 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes
System returned to ROM by Reload Command
System restarted at 19:45:59 UTC Fri Jun 4 2010
Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision C) with 229376K/32768K bytes of memory.

At the time was a very expensive high end CPE router (the NPE-G1 particularly). Now not even I want it for free 😄

It went end of support in 2017 but the customer it supports is so critical and has refused to let us touch it, that they keep granting waivers. There is an identical build sitting right below it with the IOS and config preloaded, that's the only backup plan (same for the secondary router).

But sadly it won't hit 14 years, finally got approval to swap it out next month and the secondary in November.

Why did they even bother programming millenniums (isn't it millennia?) into the code?
A good programmer always tries to get ahead of the requirements.
And a really good programmer always tries to get ahead of the future!!;)

Dictionary.jpg

It was probably a programmer who spent hundreds of hours reprogramming code for y2k and has PTSD. "NEVER AGAIN"
In the summer of 1999, I was with a dev. group that was tasked with reviewing the C code of about a dozen different network driver versions to make sure they were ready for the Y2K transition. Only 2 routines needed fixing. After talking with some old timers, they said most problems were found in old FORTRAN & COBOL programs written in the 1970s & early 1980s when they didn't even envision that their code would still be running 20+ years later, let alone into the next century. IMO, the Y2K issue was highly exaggerated by the media & tech magazines of the time.

Anyway, just to remove any possible doubt & confusion: the code for "millenniums", "years" & "weeks" in the webGUI screenshots is not actually in the ASUS code itself. I wrote them in as a joke to show the silliness of it all.

In the summer of 1999, I was with a dev. group that was tasked with reviewing the C code of about a dozen different network driver versions to make sure they were ready for the Y2K transition. Only 2 routines needed fixing. After talking with some old timers, they said most problems were found in old FORTRAN & COBOL programs written in the 1970s & early 1980s when they didn't even envision that their code would still be running 20+ years later, let alone into the next century. IMO, the Y2K issue was highly exaggerated by the media & tech magazines of the time.

Anyway, just to remove any possible doubt & confusion: the code for "millenniums", "years" & "weeks" in the webGUI screenshots is not actually in the ASUS code itself. I wrote them in as a joke to show the silliness of it all.

Anything in C probably wasn't an issue but you'd be amazed in the banking and government sectors how much really old stuff was still out there. Mainframes had some really ancient stuff on them that was going to cause some critical issues. Some of the stuff you didn't hear about was some of the scariest (imagine some guy carrying a handcuffed briefcase with an 8" floppy disc into a nuclear silo to update the code).

But yes it was blown way out of proportion. There were a few funny rollovers to 1900 (or 1980, or some weird random thing) that had pretty much no consequence.

Ah I thought you guys were just updating an NVRAM variable to make it calculate a longer time. Editing the HTML code seemed like too much effort. But fine, I'm game. Far more impressive than uptime. Damn good CPU in this thing too.

1695544157248.png

Last edited:
That's impossible. It's only been out since March 12, 2023.
For your information, there was no trickery in the 339 days of operation on version 388.2 (final version)

I don't know why you're always looking for the smallest detail to contradict people, it's getting tiresome.

I've got better things to do than fudge the days of my router in service or brag about it.

Sorry, 386.8 version.

Last edited:
For your information, there was no trickery in the 339 days of operation on version 388.2 (final version)

I don't know why you're always looking for the smallest detail to contradict people, it's getting tiresome.

I've got better things to do than fudge the days of my router in service or brag about it.
But we've already proved that what you claim is impossible.
Where did you get this wondrous final version of 388.2 before the first alpha on Jan 6? You didn't get it through official channels that's for sure.
If this is not a deliberate wind-up then your router is fudged and needs a factory reset.

I never stated there was any trickery involved. I'm not looking to contradict people. I want the truth to be forefront and apparent to all.

You're simply mistaken about the version number of the firmware. That is the simplest and most obvious explanation here.

Checking (and double-checking) facts is the basis of my interactions with people daily, even here on the forums. Just because someone may state something, that doesn't always make it true. Mistakes happen. Or worse.

What you're stating is that firmware was released sometime around October 18, 2022, from RMerlin. The facts do not support this. A final release (386.xxx) on August 13, 2022, and a handful of Beta releases (388.xxx) with the last being August 15, 2022. The Alphas would have preceded the latter.

Either post (or confirm) the full-page screenshot of your uptime (showing the firmware number within), or concede you're mistaken.

I have better things to do with my time than finding any small details to contradict. But this isn't a small detail. And I'm not fooled.

@Ripshod ; @L&LD

Big mistake on my part, I'm confused, you're absolutely right, it's version 386.8.

I had left version 386.8 running for 339 days because it was very stable...

I only updated to version 3004.388.4 two weeks ago (this version is super stable too)

Sorry again for the version error... tired lately... :confused:

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!