What's new

A peek under the hood

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Ever wondered if Adaptive QoS was actually properly classifying your traffic? Well, soon we won't have to wonder anymore...

qos-stats.png

(still a work-in-progress, but working decently so far)

RMerlin, is this part of your efforts/future firmware? Or is Asus stepping this up for us for stock firmware too?

Btw, can't wait to see this in action for some of my customers. :)

RMerlin, is this part of your efforts/future firmware? Or is Asus stepping this up for us for stock firmware too?

Btw, can't wait to see this in action for some of my customers. :)

It's my own work. The 382 code seems to be taking longer than expected to come out, so I have some time to devote to such things that have been sitting on my personal TODO list for a long time. There's another feature I started working on, but haven't made enough progress yet to decide whether it will make it in a near future or will go back to sit on the TODO list.

Great - more Tomato like features, but I use Asuswrt Merlin for the raw speed available using hardware acceleration, so no QOS - I need a faster CPU router than N66! Will you have editable category labels?

But I don't get this: is the Adaptive QoS working on RT-AC88U? Last time I checked it was broken

Great news. Cant wait to see it working and to hear more about the maybe other feature. Great work!

But I don't get this: is the Adaptive QoS working on RT-AC88U? Last time I checked it was broken

AFAIK it's working. Traffic classification certainly does based on the screenshot you see here. My Shoutcast traffic was under Media Streaming, and a 200 MB LibreOffice download was properly reported under File Transfers when I tried it during development.

Great - more Tomato like features, but I use Asuswrt Merlin for the raw speed available using hardware acceleration, so no QOS - I need a faster CPU router than N66! Will you have editable category labels?

The labels you see here are hardcoded by Trend Micro. The "unknown" category is the highest priority that's hardcoded by Trend Micro and they don't provide any label for this specific one (it's not shown on the configuration page). I'm trying to get the info from Asus, so for now it's labelled as "unknown".

Under Traditional QoS, the priority is shown instead, to match what you configure under the QoS Rules: Highest, High, etc... No plan to change anything there.

I like idea, will be very useful to have a good point about our own traffic classification. Thank Merlin

Looks great, I really like analysis tools like this.

I haven't enabled Adaptive QoS for quite some time. I just enabled it. I work at home 4 out of 5 days and my company uses Skype for Business - meetings, conf calls etc. I like that I can set VoIP as a priority.

One new things (at least to me). It gave me the option for Automatic Bandwidth Settings. Is this a recommended setting?

so this is to show how things are classified? or is it also gona show if priorities things correct? not that my router support adaptive, but i curious none the less

One new things (at least to me). It gave me the option for Automatic Bandwidth Settings. Is this a recommended setting?

Don't know how reliable that mode is, personally I prefer to manually adjust both values.

so this is to show how things are classified? or is it also gona show if priorities things correct? not that my router support adaptive, but i curious none the less

It's just to show how traffic gets classified - how much traffic there is for each classes.

This also works with Traditional QoS, with its 5 classes system. It only reports upstream however, as Traditional QoS can't directly policy downstream.

nice it will work with traditional too, could be useful to see what is being uploaded and how much I wonder what windows "uploads" would get classifed as

Wow looks really great Merlin ! Also very nice to see the throughput info !! Cant wait to use it. I really appreciate that u advance the QOS functions now as 382 code from Asus is delaying. Great work as ever !!!

Nice work :)

Have you considered RRDTool to chart data over time?

No. The data is available from Linux's tc, so someone looking for that is free to implement it themselves.