What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AB-Solution v3.11.1 addresses the problems some of you have had while installing pixelserv-tls or during startup or shutdown of the AB UI when during 'checking installation state' pixelserve-tls did not respond to the wget command.
I now run 'killall -SIGUSR1 pixelserv-tls' and check the syslog.log for the telltale ps output.
If /tmp/syslog.log is not present for some reason or the -SIGUSR1 is not successful, the former wget command is run.

Now, to make this clear: There is only one way to be 100% sure pixelserv-tls is really running:
By having it output the servstats and see if that is not empty.
The new -SIGUSR1 test may return successful but this does not prove pixelserv-tls is actually in working order.
But one of these tests will at least return something to work with if they both fail.

Yes yes yes! This resolve that issue for me. I had been on PS Kk and kept trying the test/RC versions and got the hang on ABS start or exit, plus PS was not generating certs nor could I access the pixelserv stats page. Reverting to Kk always resolved it.

Now after this update, all runs smoothly, changing to cd /opt/var/cache/pixelserv and using
Code:
ls -aclr
shows new certs generated now and I can access the stats! I've been trying to troubleshoot this off and on for some time and could not find anything obvious for me. Thank you @thelonelycoder

Next time it happens, check what IPs devices have. If you tracert/traceroute the ps IP from a device it should end at the router, not another device.
Okay, I'll try tracing to .2 in awhile, maybe after a reboot if that causes hangs. Thank you very much.
So, here's what happens.
I didn't have to do anything special to achieve the next hang, no reboot, just attempted to restart the UI and it's stuck at "checking installation state". Process list shows the "wget -q --tries=6..." and pixelserv is running.
I have an Entware version of traceroute called lft that is faster, skips some bad hop detail, and has an extra verbose mode, which I run and it informs me that 192.168.1.2 is up, does not respond to ping on :80, and reverses to the hostname that is first in my AB-Solution blacklist.

The hang lasted about 7 minutes before loading the UI with the 22 errmsg. stdin < 22 yields:
checking pixelserv-tls
192.168.1.2 did not respond, restarting
192.168.1.2 did not respond
[long hang, then "pixelserv-tls is not running, restarting" again, then:

Shutting down pixelserv-tls... done.
Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)... done.
and hang.

So this is what happens persistently. Should I wipe and rebuild my blacklist? Would it help?

Thanks!!

EDIT: I'm not sure whether my recurring/persistent problems are solved but: Upgraded to 3.11.0 and they continued. Upgraded to 3.11.1, and was successful in exiting and restarting the UI three times in a row. Flawless. That's never happened before. Looks I might have more time for other things, yay!

EDIT: Sadly, no, I still get into loops of hangs under conditions I can't quite qualify, but they crop up frequently. I ran log following awhile and it seemed to have stopped itself with "^[" to stdout. Then, when I broke with ^c and selected (e)xit it seemed okay until I then tried exiting the UI.
Code:
 What do you want to do?   e

exiting AB-Solution
 checking installation state

--------------------- Message ----------------------

AB-Solution found errors in your installation.
 This needs to be fixed before leaving.

Error(s) found. Type 22 and hit [Enter]
----------------------------------------------------

Hit [Enter] to check now
Although the pixelserv output looks good, ABS gives
Code:
 checking pixelserv-tls
 pixelserv-tls is not running, restarting

Shutting down pixelserv-tls...              done.
 Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)...              done.
 pixelserv-tls is not running
... then ...
Code:
 Errors found.
 Read the check's output for clues.

Hit [Enter] to return to Menu

reloading AB-Solution
and
Code:

AB-Solution message:

followed by
Code:
 checking pixelserv-tls

... and ...
Code:
 Errors found.

Hit [Enter] to return to Menu ^[

reloading AB-Solution
and back to the 22 errmsg.

EDIT: I was asked to try the following, done.
Code:
# lft -VV 192.168.1.2
Layer Four Traceroute (LFT) version 3.79 ... (verbosity level 2)
Receiving on br0:pixelserv, transmitting on br0:pixelserv as ajepcoin.com (192.168.1.2):53
Receive link type is EN10MB (1), skipping 14 bytes
Transmit Initial Sequence Number (ISN) will be 1307035318
SENT TCP  TTL=1 SEQ=1307035318 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=2 SEQ=1307035319 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=3 SEQ=1307035320 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=4 SEQ=1307035321 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=5 SEQ=1307035322 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=1 SEQ=1307035323 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=2 SEQ=1307035324 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=3 SEQ=1307035325 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=4 SEQ=1307035326 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=5 SEQ=1307035327 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=6 SEQ=1307035328 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=7 SEQ=1307035329 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=8 SEQ=1307035330 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TCP  TTL=9 SEQ=1307035331 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
TTL LFT trace to ajepcoin.com (192.168.1.2):80/tcp
**  [80/tcp no reply from target]  Try advanced options (use -VV to see packets).

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been requested (I couldn't find it in a search).

Would it be possible to introduce an option that will allow a user to specify if they want AB to auto-update to newer versions when avaialble, without having to manually update in shell?

Just curious, do you recommend to run Skynet in combination with ab-solution?
What are the pros? Cons?

Just curious, do you recommend to run Skynet in combination with ab-solution?
What are the pros? Cons?
Do it!! Great idea! They integrate somewhat with each other to stop false positives.

Sorry if this has already been requested (I couldn't find it in a search).

Would it be possible to introduce an option that will allow a user to specify if they want AB to auto-update to newer versions when avaialble, without having to manually update in shell?
Not with version 3.x
For v4.x the desicion has not been made.

Great job on the update of v3.11.1.

Just one thing. My pixelserv version shows as v2.0.1-rc1 even though the version installed is v2.0.1-rc4.

Update: Version number was fixed after I removed one of the flags from Ab-Solution and committed the change.

I noticed each time I updated pixelserv-tls betas with amtm, AB-Solution will indicate pixelserv-tls is still running the previous version in the main menu.

Pixelserv-tls flags such as -f or -l will "stick" in AB-solution configuration file after pixelserv update. This causes AB-solution at hang at launch if the newer version does not support the old flags. I recommend to remove all flags from pixelserv-tls before attempting to update it to new version.

Thereafter, I will check for AB-Solution is displaying pixelserv-tls with the updated version. I am not sure if it is recommended way.. I always get AB-solution to read the updated pixelserv-tls after ps->purge certificates and restart pixelserv-tls.

So far this is working well for me. Hope this will help someone facing similar problem.

Great job as always, updated to latest version without any problems yesterday and running great!

Now a possible feature request...

I have compiled pixelserv on a raspberry pi, and have directed all ad block requests (by manually updating the IP address in the blocking file) to it to see if it offers improved performance over running it on my router.

These changes get overwritten whenever ab-solution updates it's block lists.

It would be nice if we could configure ab-solution to use an external pixelserv instance... What do you think? [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I noticed each time I updated pixelserv-tls betas with amtm, AB-Solution will indicate pixelserv-tls is still running the previous version in the main menu.

Pixelserv-tls flags such as -f or -l will "stick" in AB-solution configuration file after pixelserv update. This causes AB-solution at hang at launch if the newer version does not support the old flags. I recommend to remove all flags from pixelserv-tls before attempting to update it to new version.

Thereafter, I will check for AB-Solution is displaying pixelserv-tls with the updated version. I am not sure if it is recommended way.. I always get AB-solution to read the updated pixelserv-tls after ps->purge certificates and restart pixelserv-tls.

So far this is working well for me. Hope this will help someone facing similar problem.
I get the same as you - old version showing, I just go into AB-Solution, use the PS menu, then 4 - restart pixelserv-tls and the correct version shows on the ABS main menu.

I had the same flags hang issue switching from ps-Kk to ps-test or rc version.

So, here's what happens.
I didn't have to do anything special to achieve the next hang, no reboot, just attempted to restart the UI and it's stuck at "checking installation state". Process list shows the "wget -q --tries=6..." and pixelserv is running.
I have an Entware version of traceroute called elt that is faster, skips some bad hop detail, and has an extra verbose mode, which I run and it informs me that 192.168.1.2 is up, does not respond to ping on :80, and reverses to the hostname that is first in my AB-Solution blacklist.

The hang lasted about 7 minutes before loading the UI with the 22 errmsg. stdin < 22 yields:
checking pixelserv-tls
[long hang, then "pixelserv-tls is not running, restarting" again, then:

Shutting down pixelserv-tls... done.
Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)... done.
and hang.

So this is what happens persistently. Should I wipe and rebuild my blacklist? Would it help?

Thanks!!

EDIT: I'm not sure whether my recurring/persistent problems are solved but: Upgraded to 3.11.0 and they continued. Upgraded to 3.11.1, and was successful in exiting and restarting the UI three times in a row. Flawless. That's never happened before. Looks I might have more time for other things, yay!

EDIT: Sadly, no, I still get into loops of hangs under conditions I can't quite qualify, but they crop up frequently. I ran log following awhile and it seemed to have stopped itself with "^[" to stdout. Then, when I broke with ^c and selected (e)xit it seemed okay until I then tried exiting the UI.
Code:

exiting AB-Solution
 checking installation state

AB-Solution found errors in your installation.
 This needs to be fixed before leaving.

Hit [Enter] to check now
Although the pixelserv output looks good, ABS gives
Code:
 checking pixelserv-tls

... then ...
Code:
 Errors found.

Hit [Enter] to return to Menu

reloading AB-Solution
and
Code:

AB-Solution message:

followed by
Code:
 checking pixelserv-tls

... and ...
Code:
 Errors found.

Hit [Enter] to return to Menu ^[

reloading AB-Solution
and back to the 22 errmsg.
It appears the virtual IP does not come up. Without it responding, pixelserv will not start as the pixelserv-tls start script checks first if the virtual IP is up before starting pixelserv itself. The timeout for the virtual IP to come up in the start script is 18 seconds but only waits for a successful ping but does no action of its own.
Thus, AB ends up in a deadly cycle trying to bring up the virtual IP and hoping it will, then starts pixelserv which will also not start because virtual IP is down.
You should see a lot of:
Code:
pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) virtual IP not up, waiting 1 second until timeout in xx seconds
In the syslog.
Try to find out why the virtual IP does not come up and if it is actually correct in the /jffs/scripts/wan-start:
Code:
ifconfig br0:pixelserv <pixelserv-tls IP> up
You can manually up and down that virtual IP with:
Code:
or to down it:
ifconfig br0:pixelserv <pixelserv-tls IP> down

Great job on the update of v3.11.1.

Just one thing. My pixelserv version shows as v2.0.1-rc1 even though the version installed is v2.0.1-rc4.

Update: Version number was fixed after I removed one of the flags from Ab-Solution and committed the change.
I only (re)check the ps version under these conditions:
- During startup if the ps version has no value in the config file. The check is therefore skipped if the value is not empty.
- When opening the ps menu. If you exit out of it right away without selecting any of the options, the new version is shown in the UI
- Whenever pixelserv-tls is restarted in the ps menu

The reason I don't check the ps version every time the UI is started is because pixelserv-tls Kk and older would add to the stats count counter.
Kl, aka v2.0.0x aka beta do not do that and once it is available in Entware I will push an update eventually to recheck ps version every time the UI starts.

See post above for why.
I only removed the -f switch. -l is still available and thanks to @kvic is compatible with the new 2.x or beta version if only -l is set and no logging value.
-f should never have been set and only became a thing because you set it not knowing what it does. Don't take this wrong, but the -f switch has been there for forever and to my best knowledge never caused a problem because nobody set it, beta version or not.
I have compiled pixelserv on a raspberry pi, and have directed all ad block requests (by manually updating the IP address in the blocking file) to it to see if it offers improved performance over running it on my router.

These changes get overwritten whenever ab-solution updates it's block lists.

It would be nice if we could configure ab-solution to use an external pixelserv instance... What do you think?
emoji3.png
This, of course, is built in in AB-Solution, just a lesser known feature.
If you still have pixelserv-tls installed through AB, then set it to off in the ps menu.
Magically, the cb menu appears in the UI, set your custom block IP to the one your pixelserv-tls is listening on on your Pi.
Magic happens right before your eyes!

Can’t reach google maps anymore, anyone a suggestion which server i need to whitelist?
Even with AB-Maximum+ and nothing in the white nor blacklist, google maps works.
You seem to have something blacklisted.
Use the f option 1 to find out yourself what might block access.

See post above for why.

I only removed the -f switch. -l is still available and thanks to @kvic is compatible with the new 2.x or beta version if only -l is set and no logging value.
-f should never have been set and only became a thing because you set it not knowing what it does. Don't take this wrong, but the -f switch has been there for forever and to my best knowledge never caused a problem because nobody set it, beta version or not.

This, of course, is built in in AB-Solution, just a lesser known feature.
If you still have pixelserv-tls installed through AB, then set it to off in the ps menu.
Magically, the cb menu appears in the UI, set your custom block IP to the one your pixelserv-tls is listening on on your Pi.
Magic happens right before your eyes!
Fantastic, I'll give it a try when I get back from work, thanks!

[emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

...I am not sure if it is recommended way.. I always get AB-solution to read the updated pixelserv-tls after ps->purge certificates and restart pixelserv-tls.

Thanks for reinforcing my experience. I have had to reset/reinstall pixelserv-tls{ab-solution} with purge & regenerate of certs quite frequently as just one of several fixes necessary in my case for script hangs. It seems strange but perhaps there is some issue having to do with the cert caching that causes seemingly unrelated problems.

...You can manually up and down that virtual IP with:
Code:
or to down it:
ifconfig br0:pixelserv <pixelserv-tls IP> down
Thanks very much for that tip. I get messages offering the ifconfig up command everytime I run the script, although those commands complete with no output and there's no routine or advice to handle whatever ought to come next. The IP for my pixelserv-tls has never changed except by the reset option in the add-on script and, when I then attempt restoration of the service, it's always been on 192.168.1.2. I'm now able to type it, eyes closed. ;)

I briefly tried using pixelserv without management other than by entware (directly) and as far as I know, I've never had a problem with the service aside from whatever ABS does when interacting with it, that causes those hangs. I have never changed the args/flags that are defaulted either vanilla or by ABS. I'm still wondering how significant it might be that when I try tracing to its IP as I think was suggested, lookups attempt to resolve the topmost host in my ABS blacklist before determining that 192.168.1.2 is up but nonresponsive on 80.

Thanks very much for that tip. I get messages offering the ifconfig up command everytime I run the script, although those commands complete with no output and there's no routine or advice to handle whatever ought to come next. The IP for my pixelserv-tls has never changed except by the reset option in the add-on script and, when I then attempt restoration of the service, it's always been on 192.168.1.2. I'm now able to type it, eyes closed. ;)

I briefly tried using pixelserv without management other than by entware (directly) and as far as I know, I've never had a problem with the service aside from whatever ABS does when interacting with it, that causes those hangs. I have never changed the args/flags that are defaulted either vanilla or by ABS. I'm still wondering how significant it might be that when I try tracing to its IP as I think was suggested, lookups attempt to resolve the topmost host in my ABS blacklist before determining that 192.168.1.2 is up but nonresponsive on 80.
There is no return when you run the ifconfig command.
What you can test is if a ping to that IP responds. With the up command it should respond, while after down it should timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.