What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found my problem to be in Chrome itself. Chrome has an ad blocker in Content Settings and I changed the value to "allowed" relaunched Chrome and it was gone and still is.
Skeal, you need to switch from Chrome to Yandex browser. So much better than Crappy Chrome, not to mention fully compatible with all extensions, better memory mgmt, more secure and less invasive.

Skeal, you need to switch from Chrome to Yandex browser. So much better than Crappy Chrome, not to mention fully compatible with all extensions, better memory mgmt, more secure and less invasive.
Just a quick search about Yandex brought up a lot of not so good stuff. They host some pretty shady stuff. The browser is constantly being accused of stealing saved passwords. I may just choose the lesser of two evils and stay with the bloated Chrome browser. Thanks though.

The SNBforum "banner" is quite difficult to solve for DNS-based adblock without hurting either side of the parties. So I propose someone with resource setup a Discourse (which I found it so pleasing to use) discussion board so that we won't lose this adblock community. Monthly bandwidth consumption shall be minimal. A 256MB RAM VPS should be sufficient...

Joking aside there is one way out.

Ziproxy

Install Ziproxy from Entware. It's a lightweight proxy which allow users to separately setup a DNS server. So you can point to e.g. 8.8.8.8 instead of router default.

On client side e.g in Chrome, there is handy extension that allow you to switch proxy on the fly. When you visit SNBfroum, switch to Ziproxy. That essentially bypass all adblocks. You see all the ads. Trackers such as Google get your metrics and promote the site's ranking.

What! That's all rubbish. American's are always going to hate the Russians. The Russians are more secure than Google who want to know every tiny bit about your life, purchases, mail, contact, call log and habits. Yandex offers one tracking system 'metrica' which you can easily opt out and block. Their Yandex Disk service is far better than Drive - in fact Box.net, Yandex Disk and Mega.nz are my only services now ($0 42-50GB each). Yandex Mail gives you mail and DNS hosting. So many things are offered at the basic level not available elsewhere, then you can pay to upgrade you features and space. Plus Google never update it's services - e.g. Gmail? Yandex suite of services get updates and even have features not in Gmail. Everything is just seems more legit. No gimmicks or stupidity - e.g Gmail space counter - wow and 2 extra bytes!

Give it a try. Don't beleive some B.S. old articles. Their browser and integrated DNS and protection has blocked more malicious scripts and sites in 2 years (integrated Kaspersky protection) than Chrome has in over 15 years. They also have a secure backup/sync solution for syncronising data between mobile and other devices. Look at "Yandex.Key" - perfect example.

It's like having 1 hand tied behind your back. I've over 450 tabs open currently and I've now 2 hands! :D
I can't rate it enough. Even Yandex's DNS Advert Blocking - w/ three levels of security: Fast General; Virus/Malicious/Fraud and Virus/Malicious/Fraud/Adult/Anti-Bot etc. I think they've partnered with Sophos for DNS security too.
All good mate! :)

Ziproxy
Install Ziproxy from Entware. It's a lightweight proxy which allow users to separately setup a DNS server. So you can point to e.g. 8.8.8.8 instead of router default.
Thanks for the info Kvic :) I don't understand why people are 'infatuated' & 'obsessed' with using Google DNS?
Does anyone encourage the use of no-logging DNS providers given the topic of blocking adverts/malware, anonymity, privacy, et. al.? I guess I cannot see DNScrypt being suitable for every implementation or being mature enough to be supported in all devices.

Would be nice to see TOR removed from Asus router F/W and something better implemented (like ZipProxy). 90% of web sites I have tried with Asus Router TOR now require constant Captcha verification and it is impossible to access any web sites as your IP keeps changing and they want to re-verify.
Cheers,

Last edited:
Will any conflict between ziproxy, ab-solution,dnsmasq and dnscrypt if they will work together or needs adjust additional configs in ziproxy?

Thanks for the info Kvic :) I don't understand why people are 'infatuated' & 'obsessed' with using Google DNS?

I need to pick an example. 8.8.8.8 convenes my message clearly. Regarding dns privacy, personally I care less. Hence, I don't use DNScrypt either.

Will any conflict between ziproxy, ab-solution,dnsmasq and dnscrypt if they will work together or needs adjust additional configs in ziproxy?

ZiProxy will be an independent service on your router. No interference to other services including but not limited to "ab-solution,dnsmasq and dnscrypt"

I've been running ZiProxy for a few years already. Quite handy when I need to bypass DNS-based adblock. IMHO I would say this way the most elegant & complete solution I've seen for bypass. :)

Hi folks - all of a sudden (as of today), I'm getting a banner warning on snbforums asking me to support ads, which I'd like to do, and which had always seen here (thanks to them being whitelisted by default). Has something changed that I need to adapt my setup to?

Searching the thread (and the forums) isn't finding me anything, and when I try to whitelist snbforums in ab-solution I'm told that it's not in the blacklist, so I don't know how to re-enable ads here without disabling ab-solution. (Chrome on Mac, no ad blocking browser extensions.)

Hi folks - all of a sudden (as of today), I'm getting a banner warning on snbforums asking me to support ads, which I'd like to do, and which had always seen here (thanks to them being whitelisted by default). Has something changed that I need to adapt my setup to?

...)

Try #60 and following. I'm using Vivaldi on Mac, and recent changes to this site/Ab-solution/??? are causing performance and stability issues even after fixing the warning. Still investigating...

Searching the thread (and the forums) isn't finding me anything, and when I try to whitelist snbforums in ab-solution I'm told that it's not in the blacklist, so I don't know how to re-enable ads here without disabling ab-solution. (Chrome on Mac, no ad blocking browser extensions.)
I'm in the same boat.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/re-an-appeal-from-tim-higgins.45705/

Try #60 and following. I'm using Vivaldi on Mac, and recent changes to this site/Ab-solution/??? are causing performance and stability issues even after fixing the warning. Still investigating...

Thanks, and to @Spydawg too - I missed some posts I should have spotted, sorry. But the fixes are not working for me, unfortunately, but I'll try again in the morning.

I need to pick an example. 8.8.8.8 convenes my message clearly. Regarding dns privacy, personally I care less. Hence, I don't use DNScrypt either.

ZiProxy will be an independent service on your router. No interference to other services including but not limited to "ab-solution,dnsmasq and dnscrypt"

I've been running ZiProxy for a few years already. Quite handy when I need to bypass DNS-based adblock. IMHO I would say this way the most elegant & complete solution I've seen for bypass. :)
T'nks for answer but in config of ziproxy any additional steps require or after installation will work out of box?

T'nks for answer but in config of ziproxy any additional steps require or after installation will work out of box?

CAUTION
I recommend people stay away from touching Entware directly if one expects things "work out of box"...

Given that said, there is one config file (with detailed comments) but you do need to edit what IP and PORT to listen and override its default DNS server (which is ur router) to 8.8.8.8. The rest could go with defaults as far as I remember.

Maybe you shall wait for someone to come up with a guide or install script.

As aside, I throw out a way to resolve the current situation. More enterprising people are needed to pave the path for a smooth sailing (by ABS standard).

I don’t want to install additional tools just because THIS SITE reports adblocking wrong. It’s up to the site to fix this ridiculous intrusive banner.
I’m fine to display adds to “support” it’s a small effort to keep the default whitelists. It was also fine till Wednesday.
Now I’m seeing this banner in Edge (strangely enough not on IOS devices) And I’m NOT prepared to install something else in order to “fix” this, this fix is on snbforums, not me.

Telling people that they aren’t looking at your adds, while they are, with a banner that comes back every single pageload, is not helping AT ALL.

I believe now is a really good time to whitelist additional domains to support smallnetbuilder.com and snbforums.com

To help out, the whitelist needs expanding and your browsers tracking protection needs to be adjusted.

@thiggins (Tim Higgins) has been very supportive and understanding towards what my ad-blocking solution does to his revenue. I have included a default whitelist in AB-Solution from the beginning to support his two websites.
Now is the time to adjust to a new reality or face the consequences.

1. Whitelist change
For new AB-Solution installations I have expanded the default whitelist to additionally include a tracking site (pagead2.googlesyndication.com) and additional Amazon domains.

The old whitelist contained these entries:
Code:
ad2.netshelter.net
assets.omidoo.com
flashtalking.com
servedby.flashtalking.com
tgdaily.com
tgdaily.net
vma.tgdaily.com
vma.tgdaily.net
z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
The new default whitelist for new installs is now expanded and adds helpful comments to distinguish why they are added:
Code:
aax-eu.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
ad2.netshelter.net # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
assets.omidoo.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
flashtalking.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
fls-na.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
pagead2.googlesyndication.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
servedby.flashtalking.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
tgdaily.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
tgdaily.net # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
vma.tgdaily.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
vma.tgdaily.net # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
wms-eu.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
wms-na.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
wms-na.assoc-amazon.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
ws-eu.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com
z-na.amazon-adsystem.com # whitelisted for smallnetbuilder.com

For existing AB-Solution installations these would have to be added manually, either by using the el option and add one domain by one to it or by opening the /adblocking/whitelist.txt file with a text editor and paste the above list into it. To avoid duplicates while manually pasting, remove the old (uncommented) list entries first and paste the complete new list into it.
There's also a "Sort and verify whitelist" option in el that does this automatically, but it may remove the commented double when done so.

For the expanded whitelist to take effect, run el option "Process whitelist". This will also auto-update the shared-AB-whitelist and run a refresh of Skynet if it is installed on your router.

2. Browser change
In your browser, whitelist smallnetbuilder.com and snbforums.com in the Tracking protection settings. Or disable tracking protection entirely.
If you have DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials installed as an addon in your browser, add smallnetbuilder.com and snbforums.com to its whitelist.

If you have in-browser ad-blocking installed, such as uBlock origin or Adblock Plus, whitelist smallnetbuilder.com and snbforums.com in it.

You may have to restart your browser and clear the DNS cache of your operating system for these changes to take effect.
To clear the DNS cache in Windows, enter the following into a command prompt:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Last edited:
Thanks @thelonelycoder the adds appear and the banner gone. I have no problem seeing the adds and never did. Great work for all of us ABS users!

Curious if the current or future version of AB-solution will support more than one instance of pixelserv for those of us that have additional AP, raspberry pi, edge routers, etc on our network as discussed here with kvic

pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock
That's a complexity I am not willing to code into AB-Solution. Additionally, I doubt this is even needed for a more or less standard household.
Asuswrt-Merlin runs only on consumer grade routers and that's where they belong - into a home environment.

That's a complexity I am not willing to code into AB-Solution. Additionally, I doubt this is even needed for a more or less standard household.
Asuswrt-Merlin runs only on consumer grade routers and that's where they belong - into a home environment.
Understand, thanks.

I believe now is a really a good time to whitelist additional domains to support smallnetbuilder.com and snbforums.com

To help out, the whitelist needs expanding and your browsers tracking protection needs to be adjusted.

This worked for me and shows ads in the page now. I went the manual whitelist route without issue as comments are very helpful. I also had to temporary ad exceptions for the ad domains with NoScript while browsing this page as it doesn't appear to allow whitelist of all pages, including ad sites when doing so with the site you are on.

Oddly, I see the forum within the forum at the top of the page in Firefox, which appears misplaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.