What's new

AC56U vs R6300 v2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

twitchyzero

Regular Contributor
i have a AC56U with Merlin FW..pretty happy with it. I've not yet to play with it in terms of overclocking, VPN, FTP, and possibly Shibby's to try bandwidth control.

I'm looking to upgrade my parent's router which can have as much as 10 simultaneous clients. I want it to be rock stable and the most important thing is wireless range, it needs to have adequate coverage of 3 floor house. Remote access to local videos files in the future would also be a great feature.

I've bought a 2nd AC56U (AC56R to be exact) few days ago. Now I came across the Netgear that can be flashed to 6300 v2 specs. The ones mentioned is a AC1450 but the R6250 (what I can purhcase locally) says it's a AC1600 router but it has the same chipset. I'd like to confirm that it is in fact R6250 that can achieve said specs with the following DD-WRT?

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

So once at these specs, which one is bound to have the better reliability and wireless range? I've tried understanding the attenuation in thiggin's reviews but i didn't find any explanation to these data in layman's term.

My second question: Just to confirm as my know ac56u has identical hardware as AC56R...so that means AC56R is guaranteed to run Shibby's if I want to have bandwidth control in the future?

My final question is, what do my clients need to reach closer the theoretical 1300Mbps 5GHz over the 867Mbps figure?

I tried the r6250. It was horrible. If you look around here and the dd-wrt forum you won't find much good said about it.

No difference between the R and U asus versions.

Last edited:
My final question is, what do my clients need to reach closer the theoretical 1300Mbps 5GHz over the 867Mbps figure?

You need an AC1750 router or AC1900 router and AC1900 or AC1750 or AC1600 client. Another AC1600, AC1750 or AC1900 router can be set to client bridge mode to accomplish this.

AC1600 router is 3 streams on 5 Ghz and 2 streams on 2.4 so speed is broken into 1300 + 300. I do believe some AC1600 have 2 streams

For a specific client, AFAIK, only ASUS PCE-AC66, PCE-AC68U for desktops and a retina macbook pro laptop have 3 streams which yields 1300 Mbps link rate on best conditions.

For a media/client bridge, the linksys WUMC710 can also do 1300 Mbps (3 streams)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!