What's new

RT-AX58U wired backhaul or wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't use Ethernet backhaul mode. Run Ethernet from a router LAN port to the node WAN port and let the devices figure it out. Works for me!

Ok, yes there are settings in "Management" for backhaul connectivity priority: auto, 5Ghz WiFi first, 1G WAN first. I guess you are saying leave it on auto.

Last edited:
Can you move the modem to the location of the ISP cable coming in to the two way splitter ?
disconnect the ISP cable from the IN port on the splitter and connect it to the modem directly. No worries about DOCCIS version and interference with MOCA.

There are no other devices on the coax ?
It is odd that the cable ISP would put a 2 way splitter in at the demarc if there was not another device - set top box for cable tv for example.

Here is how the layout should look if the ISP coax modem is using DOCCIS 3.0
see attached

If the modem is using DOCCIS 3.1 then we have to come up with a way to isolate your internal coax passing moca signals from the ISP modem. Easiest way may be to move the ISP modem and the GT6000 to the location of the demarc cable entry. Otherwise, you may need to run ethernet cables. If that is the only way, then might as well forget using moca.

EDIT - i just reread your post on the modem being DOCCIS3.1. The easy way in my picture is not going to work. Forget that idea.
You will need to move the cable modem to the demarc and connect it directly to the incoming cable. That frees up your internal coax for moca at full bandwidth. No POE filters required. It would be easiest if you can move a router to the same location unless you have two coax cables going to where the GT6000 is currently.
"There are no other devices on the coax ?
It is odd that the cable ISP would put a 2 way splitter in at the demarc if there was not another device - set top box for cable tv for example"
Used to be wired for cable TV throughout house (had like 5-way splitter). Converted everything to wireless (TVs etc.), no more cable boxes. Currently 3-way splitter at entry point (one going to upstairs modem, two others not being used) but was planning on using MoCA 2-way to split to upstairs/downstairs.

"come up with a way to isolate your internal coax passing moca signals from the ISP modem". Could/should I put a PoE/MoCA filter on entry cable (before splitter) and then another on modem. Would that "isolate internal coax passing moca signals from the ISP modem"?

Not sure that I can put modem at entry point, I'll have to think about that. When you say "move the cable modem to the demarc and connect it directly to the incoming cable", how do I then connect to internal coax cables?
Right now I have main computer upstairs with modem/GT6000 and I like direct Ethernet port connection to GT6000 on main computer, however it does have AX WiFi also.

Last edited:
A.I. provided this. I don't know how accurate. It says my modem supports MoCA. Other search results said it didn't and Spectrum won't answer. I don't use voice/phone (all cell phones with the exception of Google Voice) or cable TV so I'm not sure I need the MoCA filter on the modem?

Spectrum P20 MoCA Support​

The Spectrum P20 EU2251 modem is a DOCSIS 3.1 certified device, and according to the search results, it supports MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) technology. However, there are some considerations and requirements to ensure a successful MoCA setup:
  1. MoCA Filter: A MoCA filter (ideally 70 dB) should be installed directly on the modem to prevent interference with the voice/phone functionality. This is a prophylactic measure to ensure compatibility.
  2. MoCA Modem Configuration: The MoCA modems used should be capable of operating in D-High bands, as the EU2251 modem occupies the lower two bands. This might limit bandwidth availability.
  3. Coax Splitter Selection: When setting up MoCA links, use MoCA2-certified splitters that can handle the DOCSIS signal on the 1215 MHz band. These splitters may be harder to find. Ensure the splitters are labeled as suitable for the frequency range.
  4. POE Filter: A Point Of Entry (POE) filter may be necessary to separate MoCA signals from other Spectrum services (internet, cable TV) that use different frequencies.
Recommendations:
  • Use MoCA2-certified devices and equipment to ensure compatibility.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for configuring MoCA modems and splitters.
  • Consider using a POE filter to separate MoCA signals from other Spectrum services.
  • Verify the coax splitters you have are suitable for the frequency range and MoCA technology.
By following these guidelines, you should be able to set up a functional MoCA network with your Spectrum P20 EU2251 modem.

If this is correct, do I even need an adapter upstairs between modem/router (GT6000 main)? Will the modem, connected to internal coax, feed signal to downstairs node which is connected to MoCA adapter? Or node might get signal but since it's in AiMesh node mode and not router mode it can't talk to main router?

I guess I'll be testing a bunch of different setups/configurations.

Last edited:
Here is a layout that will work. It isolates the DOCCIS 3.1 signals from your internal coax and allows you to upgrade as needed.
The router shown next to the Spectrum modem can be wired or wireless and spec'd to match bandwidth of your ISP connection. If you are planning to run AiMesh, then it should be ASUS.

You can use your existing GT6000 for now. If you need better wireless upstairs, then consider either 1) adding an AX58 upstairs and turning off wireless on GT6000, or 2) keeping the GT6000 upstairs and adding a wired ASUS router next to the Spectrum modem. Otherwise, you could use a wireless router next to the modem and put the two ASUS units in AP mode.

Once you get the DOCCIS 3.1 signals off your internal coax, you can use moca however you want. But that means putting the spectrum modem and a router where the ISP cable terminates.

Attachments

• Alt moca layout.png
    Alt moca layout.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: