What's new

AC68 With Merlin's latest, bad USB3 perf

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RampantAndroid

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've got a Seagate Backup plus (powered kind that can accept a Thunderbolt base) hooked up to an AC68 running the latest build from merlin (376.47); I've turned off "Reduce USB 3..." setting, but despite this on my network drive I'm only getting around 13MB/s read, 12MB/s write on an NTFS partition. Plugging the USB3 drive directly into my laptop (running OS X Yosemite with Tuxera NTFS driver) I get around 70-80MB/s read, 65MB/s write.

In windows, my transfers are even worse, running at 11MB/s, while wired. A further experiment had me copying an ISO from my macbook (wireless) to my windows laptop (wired); this ran at maybe 10MB/s; simultaneously I copied a 1GB file from my wired laptop to my network drive - the transfer rate was 8MB/s instead of the 11-12 I'm used to.

So my drive IS capable of so much more...but I really don't know where to start.

I'd absolutely return this router, if it weren't for the R7000 having a horrible whining noise any time the wireless is in use (yes, I'm super sensitive to that and I'm returning it for that exact reason tomorrow.) I just can't justify the premium for the new AC87 or R8000, and the Linksys router seemed woefully lacking features.

I upgraded my RT-AC68U for the RT-AC87U just for that reason. The 68U was really slow on USB3 transfers, topping out for me at 11mb/sec.

Now I ebayed that unit and have the RT-AC87U, and USB3 transfers are the least of my worries. I want my RT-AC68U back :)

In the meantime I have my trusty RT-AC66U. Oh, except every time I turn it on, it needs reflashing :(

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!