What's new

Access Point Build vs Buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris O'Meara

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm planning a replacement for my 5th Generation Apple AirPort Wireless Extreme. It appears to be overheating after a few years of reliable use.

I don't need routing functionality. I run a Sophos UTM as my Internet router and firewall.

The wireless usage is fairly heavy with consistent usage throughout the day for web browsing, NAS access, video streaming, etc. I have a 125 Mbs Internet connection. I've had good coverage with a single AP located in the center of the house. I don't think I'll need more than one AP for speed and coverage.

With that background, I'm looking for suggestions. At this point, I'm considering 1) building my own Linux-based AP on a mini ITX platform or 2) installing a UniFi AP Pro.

Any suggestions or feedback?

Thanks,
Chris

Buy.

By the time you have the equipment assembled for a halfway decent concurrent dual band access point you will have likely spent at least $300-400. Compared to $100-200 for a good 802.11ac router in access point mode...which might end up being faster and certainly lower power draw than the one you built.

For WAPs, build your own is generally only a good idea if you need something very, very specific in mind (like a highly customized wireless bridge). For a router...well it generally isn't cheaper, but you can certainly build a much better router out of PC hardware than the appliances you can generally buy.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!